UKBouldering.com

Moon Warrior or DMM highball? (Read 11767 times)

taffyobd

Moon Warrior or DMM highball?
December 27, 2011, 02:30:13 am
I'm coming back to the UK for a month, I actually live in South Korea now. I'm going to pick up a new pad and i'm stuck on whether to get the Moon Warrior or DMM highball. apart from the obvious difference between the taco and the hinge I can't find much to separate them, all reviews say good things. I was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience of the two, to help save my small brain from having to make the decision.

of note is the fact i will be flying back to korea and will need to store a fair bit of clothes etc in it, as i can only check one piece of luggage in the hold. i reckon i'll wrap the whole thing with cling film anyway to avoid stuff falling out, but the more secure the storage the better.

thanks

Gritlad

• obsessive maniac
  • I'm not actually much of a lad.
#1 Re: Moon Warrior or DMM highball?
December 27, 2011, 11:14:58 am
or the podsacs super crash mat. very similiar to the Moon one but i think a tiny bit bigger with the same fold design ( the one to keep your back clean)
hhmmm choices.......

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#2 Re: Moon Warrior or DMM highball?
December 27, 2011, 11:43:27 am
would you not be better off investing in a bullet proof jacket, or nuclear fallout shelter?

leeroy

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Moon Warrior or DMM highball?
December 27, 2011, 05:55:57 pm
highball

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#4 Re: Moon Warrior or DMM highball?
December 27, 2011, 07:19:29 pm
+1
Not used Moon pad which has 2 layers, but highball has dense foam top and bottom with softer in middle, which is why I bought it. great pad.

adam_NE5

• regular
#5 Re: Moon Warrior or DMM highball?
December 27, 2011, 09:12:29 pm
The lad I climb with has had the highball and I had an older version of the warrior. The DMM was great but the fold was a bit of a worry when bailing off stuff and it seemed to get soft quite fast. My moon was a great pad and the taco style isa better design.

Having said that I have the POD super crash pad and it has outlasted two of my mate's mats and is still rock hard. I put quite a bit of stuff in it when I went to font too. I would definitely recommend it the only downside is it is a bit heavy o
In comparison to the others.

Nigel Poustie

• regular
#6 Re: Moon Warrior or DMM highball?
December 27, 2011, 09:16:12 pm
Get the Ocun Dominator from The Leeds wall.
Ocun make a lot of DMM stuff including the pads. Only they save the best stuff for their own stuff.
The Ocun Dominator is very similar to the Highball but the Dominator is thicker (3 Ply), also it has a very useful zip system which allows you to open it in the usual way and length ways for travs and sleeping! See http://www.ocun.cz/en/products/crashpads/paddy-dominator.html

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#7 Re: Moon Warrior or DMM highball?
December 27, 2011, 09:38:38 pm
Hands up, who's sponsored by Ocun.

Having used Warriors, PODs, and Highballs a fair bit, I'd go for a Highball as in my experience they are firmer, and stay firmer for longer than the others. I find taco style pads end up really thin and dodgy at the bend, and I also find the plastic bags recently used to wrap the foam in both Moon and POD pads annoying, as the outer slips around when on uneven surfaces. I've only occasionally used Ocuns, but the zip options sound like a good idea, assuming that the zips don't break.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 09:46:47 pm by Andy B »

Nigel Poustie

• regular
#8 Re: Moon Warrior or DMM highball?
December 27, 2011, 10:09:29 pm
Yes I am sponsored by Ocun but it is a honest assessment.
DMM Highball is good, just the Ocun Dominator is clearly better!
I have been Sponsored by them for 4/5 years ish and my original one is still going strong, as is another one. No signs of the zip going. I also know of several others using them with great satisfaction.
I can also recommend the Dreamtime which is a taco style pad.
I know it sound bias but there is no doubt they are way better than any of the usual suspects!

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#9 Re: Moon Warrior or DMM highball?
December 28, 2011, 11:56:09 am
Must say i was impressed with 3t's ocun at the weekend, like the extra thickness and the ability to zip it out lengthways. I was going to get a Climbing Factory pad but giving the ocun serious consideration now.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#10 Re: Moon Warrior or DMM highball?
December 28, 2011, 11:59:11 am
 :agree:
the ocun is a really good mat and probably what I will get next time

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#11 Re: Moon Warrior or DMM highball?
December 28, 2011, 04:25:09 pm
I really rate my metolius boss hog, large but not too big, plenty thick enough, nice carpeted top for cleaning boots on, well built

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal