UKBouldering.com

Foul (Read Scottish) Weather Trail Riding Jacket (Read 1667 times)

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Hit me with your thoughts and suggestions folks.

I would like a riding jacket and I'm baffled! 

My general riding consists of 2 -4 hours of trail centre blasting, backcountry gnarling and the potential for manky weather cycling to work.  I've used my Mountain Equipment Morpheus before and it worked ok, but was unsurprisingly sweaty, the hood gets in the road and the cut is too roomy.

So, I guess I could cope with a fairly standard gore/event/pTFE-cheap-tex type jacket. Endura seem to do one that loads of people use at about £150.

I crash a reasonable amount so I was thinking of maybe going cheaper, as I guess I'll be replacing it more often.

The other thought I have is that on Saturday I was wearing a fox softshell, which has been remarkably un-breathable and sweaty in the past (my fault for impulse purchase), but, it was lashing it down and yet, at the end of the day my baselayer was much drying than my mate who was wearing a gore-tex mountaineering jacket.

So, does anyone rock a softshell, and how do they get on?

I like the look of the Montane Photon, but I think it's maybe a bit on the lightweight size - should be fairly easy to repair if ripped though....  arrrrggghhh - it's a minefield!

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
i often wear a softshell in pissing rain and stay relatively dry. It's too hot to wear in anything except winter weather though.

Those PACE eVent jackets get a good write up don't they (but relatively dear if you plan to crash into trees while wearing it)

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
I'm very impressed with how waterproof and breathable my Haglofs Goretex Activeshell Endo jacket has been for mountain biking. Great cut too.

Not cheap though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal