UKBouldering.com

Knee Tendonitis Experience? (Read 2122 times)

heelhookofglory

• menacing presence
    • SPC
Knee Tendonitis Experience?
November 17, 2011, 08:57:17 am
I tend to use drop-knees quite a lot when climbing steep ground and I've started to develop a slight pain in my left knee, outside, towards the back edge, level with the knee cap. It's tender to touch and it hurts when I rise from a seated position.

I'm thinking it may be the start of tendonitis. So, having gone through RICE and deciding to change my technique to lessen how much I drop-knee, I'm after some light exercises to strengthen it up. Just to cover the bases.

I look after my elbows by doing eccentrics and push-ups -- they seem to help -- and was wondering if anyone has any similar exercises for the knees? Or any other input, of course.

Cheers chaps.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1 Re: Knee Tendonitis Experience?
November 18, 2011, 09:35:23 am
I would have thought (though with the priviso that my chances of telling over the internet from that description are slim!) that 'tendonitis' is unlikely, and you are more likely to have a slight ligament or hamstring sprain. If you are feeling keen, the single leg squat, within a range where you can maintain a central alignment of your kneecap over your second toe is a good exercise. Some knee extensions (light weight or theraband) and some light stretching may help. Knees can often be difficult though! Hope that helps.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#2 Re: Knee Tendonitis Experience?
November 18, 2011, 10:08:31 am
Steve, have you looked up Ilio Tibial Band ITB syndrome? I used to get when running and climbing a lot and your symptoms sound similar.

heelhookofglory

• menacing presence
    • SPC
#3 Re: Knee Tendonitis Experience?
November 18, 2011, 12:08:39 pm
...and you are more likely to have a slight ligament or hamstring sprain...

Looking at a diagram, it seems to be around the Collateral Ligament area where the pain is so you could be right there. Will try some theraband knee extensions etc., and see if that helps.

Steve, have you looked up Ilio Tibial Band ITB syndrome?

I've just looked into that but I think the pain is just slightly in a different area, although I'll do a bit more digging around just to be sure. You say that you 'used' to get it, how did you treat it / eliminate it? Or did you reduce your running / climbing intensity?

Cheers guys!

boulderingbacon

• menacing presence
#4 Re: Knee Tendonitis Experience?
November 21, 2011, 11:13:26 pm
steve sounds like an itb thats tightened.easiest way to sort this is deep tissue massage. you can use a foam roller and do it yourself but its not as effective or immediate.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal