UKBouldering.com

OS X Lion (Read 2316 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
OS X Lion
July 22, 2011, 06:44:42 pm
Civ 5 is only a tenner on Steam. I must play! However my OS isn't new enough and the min requirement is 2.4GHz. Is it wise to upgrade to Lion when it is so new or will any glitches be ironed out in free patches? As to the processing power my laptop is 2GHz. For those who know Civ its not exactly a fast paced game so I imagine this won't be the end of the world and that even if it is a little slow it will get there eventually. Is this correct or can I expect it not to run at all?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#1 Re: OS X Lion
July 22, 2011, 06:46:46 pm
isn't this shit just supposed to work?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#2 Re: OS X Lion
July 22, 2011, 07:49:30 pm
That's what I thought but those in the know always seem to tut and roll their eyes when somebody buys something recently released  :shrug:

mr__j5

• menacing presence
  • Peter J
  • tall, bendy and weak
#3 Re: OS X Lion
July 23, 2011, 09:08:51 am
My opinion as a software developer is that OS X versions are just mainly large patch releases anyway with just a few new features, so a fairly fresh new version should already feel pretty mature and stable. You shouldn't suffer the Vista effect.

As for being under the recommended CPU speed, I'd expect that you will just see stutters and stalls. I can't see it not working.

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: OS X Lion
August 26, 2011, 03:13:56 pm
no problems with my Lion install and it's on a 4 year old iMac so not exactly super modern spec. A few nice features worth the £25 notes; however I did have to "invest" in a trackpad to make use of most of them!

Heard reports that some people find it "slower" than Snow Leopard, but I don't know what at - no problems for me (although I rarely stress it as it's mainly used as a telly/HTPC plus occasional Aperture use).

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#5 Re: OS X Lion
August 26, 2011, 03:18:54 pm
dont like the new finder

love the new mail

pissed off with the launch control thing, cant see all my open files as separate entity, with their title

same speed on my 3 yr old MBP, 4Gb RAM

WTF the ipad type app overview is about i have no idea

only went for it coz  i want icloud.

no big change TBH

heelhookofglory

• menacing presence
    • SPC
#6 Re: OS X Lion
August 27, 2011, 09:10:04 am
I think in general it's fine although Spotlight will not search SMB shared network drives -- huge problem in our studio. Apple is aware of the problem but seem to be taking ages to fix it.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16024678#16024678

Also, I like to just move and click my mouse rather than have it keep shooting across the screen, randomly, because I just skimmed a gesture movement by accident. So having turned most of the new gestures off, it's now nice to use  :2thumbsup:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal