UKBouldering.com

White cars - opinions. Cool, crass or suspect ? (Read 16332 times)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
I get that from my 320d on a long run sticking to 70 and barely touching the noisy pedal.. 40-45 is normal... Ask Plattsy..
Seriously? thats pretty shit MPG, I can get that in my 2.5 tdi quattro

ducko

• junky
im affraid too say that bmw are miles behind VW on the economy side,
blue motions cars are wicked on fuel and the golf diesel still has pkenty of poke when you need it,
i drive a polo 1.4tdi daily returns 60+mpg and has shed loads of torque for such a small engine

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.

Also not sure the line "won't cope in snow and ice" is true either.

I am. Traction is a joke compared to many other makes. It doesn't mean you can't drive on snow, just you are not as safe and where traction is at its limit on a front w. drive you/I won't be going anywhere in the BM.

Plattsy

• forum hero
Also not sure the line "won't cope in snow and ice" is true either. More challenging and not as good as FWD but nowhere near impossible. Germans and Austrians love the BMs and they get plenty of snow.
It's worth noting that euro Beemers also get the 4wd xDrive option that we don't get over here...yet.
True since 2005 or something.

I get that from my 320d on a long run sticking to 70 and barely touching the noisy pedal.. 40-45 is normal... Ask Plattsy..
Seriously? thats pretty shit MPG, I can get that in my 2.5 tdi quattro
Depends what Audi you have but the 320 and 2.5tdi are running about the same power. This is probably simplifying things though.

Also not sure the line "won't cope in snow and ice" is true either.
It doesn't mean you can't drive on snow,
Glad we agree.  :beer2:

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
What sort of economy do you get out of the 330d on a daily basis? I've been considering a 330cd sport in the future.

The MPG counter packed in some time ago but I guesstimate 30mpg. The current models/engines will be far more fuel efficient.   

tomtom

• forum hero
blue motions cars are wicked on fuel and the golf diesel still has pkenty of poke when you need it,
i drive a polo 1.4tdi daily returns 60+mpg and has shed loads of torque for such a small engine

The 2l BMW diesel engine is a good lump, used by many other manufacturers (land rover, ford..) with good efficiency and performance (minimal turbo lag and almost petrol like power curve). But, a 3 series BMW ways shit loads more than a polo, fabia or golf.. And lugging nearly two tonnes of steel around is going to use more derv.. Mines fine as I mainly do long runs, so get 50 mpg all the time.. When I do loads of accelerate decelerate city shizzle it drops loads.. Economy when the engine is cold and well warmed up (1/2 hour) is very different too..

Jim, 2,5 Audi figures sound good.. Is that from the trip comp or worked out?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

I'm not convinced by the white paint fading issue.

That was a joke btw.

Wipey Why

• forum hero
Is it a:
Honda Integra Type R
Honda Civic Type R
Nissan Skyline GTR

if its fast, from that side of the world and followed by an 'R', you might get away with it, possibly.

:agree:

There are a few BMWs in our office fleet and we tend to find the economy depends largely on how you drive it. To achieve the "official" figure you generally have to nurse it.

I have the stop start function on my Cooper S and I am still not used to it. The engine will re-start as soon as you dip the clutch but if you try and pull away quickly it is a little hesitant. I have sometimes resorted to switching it off.

Whilst I agree it is not as easy to make progress in a RWD when compared with a FWD car in the snow and ice you may find that adjusting your driving style will help massively. Being smooth and gentle with the controls and learning to apply opposite lock when necessary can do wonders (and also be massively fun).

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
If it's under 5 years old, white cars are good, it's when they get older that white cars look shit. I don't have much trouble cleaning mine, just need to put it through the carwash every now and then, non?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
I had a white Scooby for many years.

The colour wasn't the reason I bought it.

Paul B

• forum hero
520 Diesel which has a similar BHP to my 330D but 50+mpg

It might be worth also looking at the torque figures and where they occur in the rev range as despite the same power output I'd be surprised if the lower capacity engne was delivering the torque in the same manner.

blacky

• addict
I wish i could afford one of those bad boys. BMW are streets ahead of VAG in terms of blending performance/economy/emissions.

I just compared the stats for the new 2.0d A6 and the 520d and it appears I'm talking :shit:.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom

The 2l BMW diesel engine is a good lump, used by many other manufacturers (land rover, ford..) with good efficiency and performance (minimal turbo lag and almost petrol like power curve). But, a 3 series BMW ways shit loads more than a polo, fabia or golf.. And lugging nearly two tonnes of steel around is going to use more derv.. Mines fine as I mainly do long runs, so get 50 mpg all the time.. When I do loads of accelerate decelerate city shizzle it drops loads.. Economy when the engine is cold and well warmed up (1/2 hour) is very different too..

Jim, 2,5 Audi figures sound good.. Is that from the trip comp or worked out?
from trip computer, although I have done proper calculations before and the computer was correct. bearing in mind this is doing 70mph, half hour+ run on motorway in the summer, can get just over 40mpg. If I do 60 I can nearly scrape 50mpg's and cruising at 80-90mph returns about 35mpg but this is with permanent 4 wheel drive.

ep

I personally think the line between a white car looking good or not is a difficult one. I decided two years ago that a white a4 estate was the best colour available and chose that option. When its clean it looks pretty cool with the led bling and big wheels etc.
Downside is that it takes ages to clean, as you have to do it afew times until you end up with no streaks, that might be because i'm too stingy to buy a pressure washer which would make life a lot easier. Taking it to the car wash doesnt help either as you still end up with streaks, and you might as well have not bothered, as such I tend not use to the car wash-which is a pain in the winter months as with all estates the back end gets filthy, meaning you get filthy while putting things in and out of the boot. Although at least every 6 months it'll get properly cleaned by the garage during the service.

The other thing is, the bigger white cars eg a6 and 5 series in my opnion dont quite look as good as the medium to small ones. Mind you Ive seen the new 5 series estate in our village and it looks pretty good, Autocar are running one as a long term at the moment and they reckon the 520d is the pick of the lot.

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
Blacky. :spank:
Stop considering cars that you can only fit one or two pads in and take one for the team

mark s

• junky
I always expect a jcb private number on white cars especially vauxhalls.look like they not been painted.as paul said its the old racing colour for jap rockets.reminds me,top gear this week and the gtr flying the test track

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE

there you go: this is cool, crass and suspect.

Plattsy

• forum hero

Just cool.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
I wouldn't say no to this, despite many thinking Porsches to be hairdresser/city trader/etc posemobiles:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I always expect a jcb private number on white cars especially vauxhalls.look like they not been painted.as paul said its the old racing colour for jap rockets.reminds me,top gear this week and the gtr flying the test track

:w00t:

Wipey Why

• forum hero
I wouldn't say no to this, despite many thinking Porsches to be hairdresser/city trader/etc posemobiles:

I saw one of these in the metal at Goodwood FoS. It would probably look awesome in any colour, including poo brown (but then again I do have a soft spot for 911s)

Wipey Why

• forum hero

:2thumbsup:

(Yes, I know you wouldn't get a pad in it and it is not even road legal, but it is white and I think it is cool)

Plattsy

• forum hero
A bit of SCIENCE regarding 320d fuel efficiency. J36 of the M1 to Notthingham City Centre and back. Using cruise control where possible and occasionally bending certain limits.
97.8 miles - 9.03 lites = 49.24mpg

Back on topic. Herbie the original cool white car.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
More 320d real life fuel economy - trip to Font and back and driving round whilst there last year from Sheffield = 1200 miles @ average 45 mpg (at about 80-90 average on motorway).  'Normal' combined urban and motorway figure = 42 mpg.

I'd expect a 520d to do a bit less even if the newer model and would think a 2 litre would be under-powered - a 320 is hardly quick.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I think most white cars look like they are Transformers, you could take this as a positive or negative. [/girl'spointofview]

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal