UKBouldering.com

Cycle to work scheme, got 1k to spend, on what is the question though. (Read 12253 times)

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Mainly do Whinlatter style riding, had been after a full susser but having looked at the Giant and Specilized brochures I got handed today I'm being optomistic!

Advice greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

bigd942

• addict

johnx2

• obsessive maniac
certain bike shops will sell you a bike for £1000 under the scheme, on which you may already have paid a a very substantial deposit. It may well be worth asking what your local shop can do [just edited to remove a account of possibly dodgy dealing which probably doesn't want promulgating].

Davey_C

• regular
A mate I work with got himself just a frame on the cycle to work scheme. The bike shop were more than willing to put down a full bike make / model on the application form to allow him to get it through the scheme. I guess it's finding a shop that is willing to do that.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
After some consideration, I've realised I'm going to have to stump some cash up to get the bike i want.

Got it down to either the sensible option of a Specialized Pitch, or the slightly silly option of a Specialized Big Hit. I know the BH is not ideal for my needs, but I've always wanted a full on down hill rig.

Anybody own/have owned either of these?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Anybody own/have owned either of these?
I've got an old classic (2004) Big Hit - in terms of modern DH/Freeride bikes it's well past it but I still love it. Off to the Alps with it tomorrow. Not tried the new shape....but it's safe to say a big, heavy freeride rig like this will be a nightmare for stuff like Whinlatter. You're not going to be pedalling a BigHit anywhere unless you're a total masochist. I speak from experience, I did Llandegla on it and nearly died. Pitch/Enduro probably much more useful unless you're doing uplift days/are happy with a lot of pushing.

burned

• player
I can say nothing bad about the demo9 if you could consider that instead. Even having broken a couple in the usual manner, I had no issues with warranty. Customer service is so underrated these days.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
In a total uturn, I have decided to keep my Boardman MTB,  and get a roadie!

Looking at either a Specialized Allez Elite or Secteur Elite, once again any recommendations greatly received.

moodyboy

Was looking at the elite last week but ended up going with Fuji team 3, upgrading the gyres and lashing some cash on new shoes and other bits instead. Picked up today and am a very happy man.

By the way I know nothing about bikes.........

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Just opened my mail to discover my voucher is here!  ;D

Off tomorrow to the bike shop I go, but what will I come back with?!  :-\

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Don't you normally pre-specify what you're going to buy and get a voucher to that value?

Thats how it happened when I did it at least, but it could easily have changed under a bureaucratic shake up.

moodyboy

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I got a Scott Aspect 45, pannier, road tyres.  Does me fine, although wish now that I'd gone for a proper hybrid as I rarely use the low gears and larger wheels would have been nicer.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
I just picked how much I wanted to spend and they sent me the voucher, I can make up any shortfall with accessories/equipment.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Although you don't have to spend it all, its not free money after all, you pay it back over a year to 18 months.

danm

• junky
I'm planning on getting a road bike through the scheme, any advice? I've already come up with a few things on the wishlist so far:

• BB30 bottom bracket
  • Sportive geometry
  • Shimano 105 or equivalent
  • Carbon forks

So far I've found a Cannondale CAAD8 which seems to fit the bill (not sure about the geometry though) for 1K. Any other recommendations? I live in Sheffield, any retailers you'd avoid like the plague or any that get a big thumbs up?

gremlin

• stalker
  • Ripped, but still shit!
    • Java shit
I just picked this up on our ride 2 work scheme: reduced from £1149 to £949.

Have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. Rides really well. The only changes I made were to put my trust egg beater pedals on and convert the tyres to Ghetto Tubeless.

Big picture alert!  :great:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Nice. I've had the older version of that since about 2002, and it still refuses to die, in spite of some horrendous use, abuse and neglect, including leaving lying in snowy corries overnight etc. Only replacements I have made are chain and rear casette.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
we had this ride to work thing at our work and loads of people were dead keen, me included, but they changed their T&C's and also in the small print you don't actually pay the amount back, you just rent it and then pay a final figure at the end of the period if you want to keep it. needless to say I did the maths and figured it wasn't worth it

tomtom

• forum hero
we had this ride to work thing at our work and loads of people were dead keen, me included, but they changed their T&C's and also in the small print you don't actually pay the amount back, you just rent it and then pay a final figure at the end of the period if you want to keep it. needless to say I did the maths and figured it wasn't worth it

Yeah, same deal at ours, but the final payment is 50p or something token.. so the 'rent' is the cost of the voucher spread over X months..

Duma

• forum hero

Yeah, same deal at ours, but the final payment is 50p or something token.. so the 'rent' is the cost of the voucher spread over X months..
which you pay pre tax - hence the saving... retrograde tho as the better paid save more - indeed those on or close to minimum wage can't participate if it pushes them below the limit.

anyway, if it was me, I'd get this:

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
I'm planning on getting a road bike through the scheme, any advice? I've already come up with a few things on the wishlist so far:

• BB30 bottom bracket
  • Sportive geometry
  • Shimano 105 or equivalent
  • Carbon forks

So far I've found a Cannondale CAAD8 which seems to fit the bill (not sure about the geometry though) for 1K. Any other recommendations? I live in Sheffield, any retailers you'd avoid like the plague or any that get a big thumbs up?

If you are after a Cannondale then try Alex at Bicicletta just off Ecclesall rd South. He should be able to help.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Not always, under the revisions its supposed to be a percentage of the value accounting for wear and tear, so it can end up being a not insignificant amount (gov.uk site is being shit and slow can't be arsed waiting for it load to check I'm linking to the right thing).

It might still be a saving but its a fair bit less than three years ago when I bought a bike under the scheme.

andy_e

• forum hero
I remember chappers got very very angry with his bike to work scheme because he had to pay a lot for some reason.

danm

• junky
I've looked into it and it still seems like it's worth doing. Instead of paying market value after 1 year, which is 25% of the original value for a £1000 bike, you pay a nominal fee and continue to borrow the bike for another 3 years. Now its market value has dropped to 7% and you pay this to own the bike. What I can't seem to find is how much will be taken off my salary each month though.

Current favorites to get: Felt F75, Cannondale CAAD8.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal