UKBouldering.com

Firefox (Read 11908 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#25 Re: Firefox
June 29, 2011, 10:36:15 am
(Tentatively) Is it just one line of code ? (Fears crossing line after which there is no return)

Yes, find your plugin folder.  On my Linux system this is ~/.mozilla/firefox/######.default/extensions/ no idea where this will be on M$-Windows computers* (where ###### is a pretty random set of alpha-numeric characters).

Within this there are various folders for each plugin and within each of these there should be an "install.rdf" file will be within that.

Open up the .rdf file in a text editor (i.e. Emacs/Notepad, WordPad and Office are NOT text editors and will likely fuck things up unless your careful), and look for the following lines

Code: [Select]
        <em:minVersion>3.0</em:minVersion>
        <em:maxVersion>4.0.*</em:maxVersion>

...and modify the maxVersion appropriately for the version of Firefox you are using (* indicates a wild-card so the above works within any FF-4.0 version but wouldn't with FF-4.1).

There is zero guarantee that the plugin will actually work, but I've found for a number of them it does.

* One option to find these would be to search your filesystem for files with the extension .xpi but you may end up modifying an old version.

Dolly

• forum hero
#26 Re: Firefox
June 29, 2011, 10:38:48 am
OK cheers - will have a look later

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#27 Re: Firefox
June 29, 2011, 11:40:26 am
Version 5 no longer supports Google toolbar  >:(

Just use this instead? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/google-uk-the-web/

Bubba pointed me at it and I prefer it to the Google toolbar searchbox thing.

Dolly

• forum hero
#28 Re: Firefox
June 29, 2011, 12:07:08 pm
Cheers - it was more the other functionality of the google toolbar I was missing - bookmarks etc

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#29 Re: Firefox
June 29, 2011, 01:35:39 pm
Cheers - it was more the other functionality of the google toolbar I was missing - bookmarks etc

For bookmarks get a Delicious account or similar (or you can use plugins to backup/sync your bookmarks online, not used any so can't recommend one)

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#30 Re: Firefox
June 29, 2011, 01:51:29 pm
For bookmarks I am using Xmarks Sync - you can set up various profiles with it meaning that work bookmarks can be separated from home bookmarks etc.

Passwords I use Lastpass Password Manager - they also own Xmarks (which used to do passwords as well) but have separated the password functionality into Lastpass. It proved a bit of a PITA to get it working as well as seamlessly as Xmarks used to do but with a bit of application I have got it going eventually.

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
#31 Re: Firefox
June 29, 2011, 02:59:53 pm
also sick of firefox as it is very unreliable,keeps dropping connection everytime i get half way through a flash video,wont open wmv files directly and the "ooops something went wrong" tag really annoys me.wont use safari as ive deleted everything apple from my pc and chrome doesnt really excite me so i guess its back to IE  :shrug:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#32 Re: Firefox
June 29, 2011, 03:03:12 pm
also sick of firefox as it is very unreliable,keeps dropping connection everytime i get half way through a flash video,wont open wmv files directly and the "ooops something went wrong" tag really annoys me.wont use safari as ive deleted everything apple from my pc and chrome doesnt really excite me so i guess its back to IE  :shrug:

Opera (usually comes out top on the Acid test too).

Or you could go all retro and use Lynx  :P

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#33 Re: Firefox
June 29, 2011, 04:18:44 pm
Fuck's sake nothing could be bad enough to make me use IE ever again.

fried

• forum hero
#34 Re: Firefox
June 29, 2011, 05:30:22 pm
Something like this might be the way forward  :google:

That's a bit uncalled for. It's not as if I started a thread asking a question that had already been asked a thousand times before. It was just a passing comment on an insignificant problem that I'd already wasted enough time researching.

Thanks for the other suggestion by the way.

Maybe I'm just to sensitive for the internet.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#35 Re: Firefox
June 29, 2011, 05:36:33 pm
Be wary of LMGTFY then.

I was actually trying to help (in both instances).

fried

• forum hero
#36 Re: Firefox
June 29, 2011, 05:38:40 pm
In that case I apologise for getting the wrong end of the stick  :hug: :hug:

fried

• forum hero

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#38 Re: Firefox
June 29, 2011, 05:42:48 pm
If I was taking this piss you'd have got a LMGTFY link from the off.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#39 Re: Firefox
June 29, 2011, 06:24:50 pm
(Tentatively) Is it just one line of code ? (Fears crossing line after which there is no return)

Yes, find your plugin folder.  On my Linux system this is ~/.mozilla/firefox/######.default/extensions/ no idea where this will be on M$-Windows computers* (where ###### is a pretty random set of alpha-numeric characters).

Within this there are various folders for each plugin and within each of these there should be an "install.rdf" file will be within that.

Open up the .rdf file in a text editor (i.e. Emacs/Notepad, WordPad and Office are NOT text editors and will likely fuck things up unless your careful), and look for the following lines

Code: [Select]
        <em:minVersion>3.0</em:minVersion>
        <em:maxVersion>4.0.*</em:maxVersion>

...and modify the maxVersion appropriately for the version of Firefox you are using (* indicates a wild-card so the above works within any FF-4.0 version but wouldn't with FF-4.1).

There is zero guarantee that the plugin will actually work, but I've found for a number of them it does.

* One option to find these would be to search your filesystem for files with the extension .xpi but you may end up modifying an old version.

Instead of all that you can install the Nightly Tester Tools addon and use it to force compatibility.

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
#40 Re: Firefox
June 29, 2011, 08:25:19 pm
Fuck's sake nothing could be bad enough to make me use IE ever again.

honestly,i had/have far less trouble with IE than with Firefox which has turned out to be the worst bit of software ive ever used.i was planning on upgrading my mobile to the new motorola ATRIX but i saw it had firefox as a browser and bought something else instead,thats how much i hate firefox.i will go as far as saying i nearly hate firefox as much as i hate Apple  :worms:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#41 Re: Firefox
June 29, 2011, 08:30:27 pm
i was planning on upgrading my mobile to the new motorola ATRIX but i saw it had firefox as a browser and bought something else instead,thats how much i hate firefox.

That phone appears to be running Android, and whilst the default browser may well be Fennec (the mobile version of Firefox) you are in no way obliged to use it.  There are a number of other options including but not limited to the default Android browser, Dolphin and Opera Mobile.

underground

• forum hero
#42 Re: Firefox
July 03, 2011, 01:34:34 am
I'm back on firefox now it's on R5, I did like the ability to type directly into the 'bar' to search on Chrome, but massively missed the ability to drop down my recent sites. I'm now also giving OSX a ride out, and chrome is wank on it, without the 2 button mouse......

andy_e

• forum hero
#43 Re: Firefox
July 03, 2011, 04:15:58 pm
You can type into the 'bar' if you you go into the about:config and change the default search engine in firefox anyway!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal