UKBouldering.com

Anyone for Tennis? (Read 33212 times)

galpinos

• forum hero
#50 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 30, 2011, 03:22:56 pm

Didn't see it but was catching the text commentry when I could. Seemed quite up and down for Kvitova, has she got the mental aptitude for the final?

More importantly, I've just been told the Stockport Sensation, Liam Brody is into the SF of the boys. Get in!

tomtom

• forum hero
#51 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 30, 2011, 06:18:33 pm
But then I'm biased ;)

Me too. Come on Rafa!  ;D

I think Rafa will dick on Murray.

Despite my previous comments about the Scottsmans 'I kipped in a cardboard box stinking of piss' image, I'm starting to warm to Murray.

Why?

Well, he's becoming more and more of an anti-hero.. he really doesnt seem to give a flying fuck about what everyone else thinks - and is just doing his own thing. Good on him. I'm waiting for him to do a 'Rooney' and issue a Malcolm Tucker scripted barrage of celtic tinged hatred towards the camera at some point. I suspect he'll still get reamed by 'look at my sweet innocent child face - but really I'm into autoasphixiation' Nadal tomorrow though....

Djok-my-vich-up vs Nadal for Sunday....

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#52 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
July 01, 2011, 09:03:06 am
I hope Murray doesn't get knocked out of the competition today. My "dour at very level" t-shirt hasn't come back from the printers yet and I want to get a chance to wear it while he's playing.

Will there be Scottish tennis fans with blue Braveheart style face paint and "Jimmy" hat/wigs looking menacingly at the umpire? I do hope so.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#53 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
July 01, 2011, 09:09:12 am
I'm waiting for him to do a 'Rooney' and issue a Malcolm Tucker scripted barrage of celtic tinged hatred towards the camera at some point.

This will probably happen when he's two sets down and someone shouts "come on Tim!".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/jun/23/andy-murray-wimbledon-tim-henman

galpinos

• forum hero
#54 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
July 01, 2011, 09:16:25 am
I like Murray. He cracks me up in interviews, says what he wants not what he thinks people want to hear.

After being asked about his groin in the QF post match interview the interviewer 'quipped', "you're a bit of a hypocondriac aren't you Andy" to which he replied, "No, I'm a proffesional sportsman, it's my job and if I'm injured I can't do it" - totally deadpan, cue uncomfortable silence from the interviewer.

Despite the above, he always chats to fans and signes stuff for ages after practice/matches. He also plays inspired tennis, chucking in drop-shots, cheeky trick shots and incredible winners when the point seems lost.

Win or lose, hopefully he turns up today and plays well.

Dolly

• forum hero
#55 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
July 01, 2011, 04:19:54 pm
Djokovic seems quite pleased with his victory. He'll be world no. 1 on Monday apparently. He's nails though - I reckon he'd win in a fight against any of the other top players

tomtom

• forum hero
#56 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
July 01, 2011, 04:58:42 pm
Djokovic seems quite pleased with his victory. He'll be world no. 1 on Monday apparently. He's nails though - I reckon he'd win in a fight against any of the other top players

I recon he plays with a switchblade stuffed down one sock... ;)

Lund

• obsessive maniac
#57 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
July 01, 2011, 08:33:46 pm
Oh well.

Time to vote on this?

http://andymurrayometer.com/

Dolly

• forum hero
#58 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
July 01, 2011, 10:47:01 pm
Fuck, he got battered didn't he ?
As Annabelle Croft said "He's like a caveman with a big club and I'd love him to club me anytime"
She may not have said the last bit actually
Nadal is so so good. I think he'll beat Djokovic now

galpinos

• forum hero
#59 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
July 04, 2011, 08:36:18 am
Nadal is so so good. I think he'll beat Djokovic now

Djokovic played out of his skin. Incredible tennis. I kept thinking that Nadal was going to get back into it but just as it looked like that would happen, Nole stepped it up again. I thought Nadal looked tired and a bit shellshocked/short of ideas.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#60 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
July 04, 2011, 10:20:45 am
He looked a bit like Murray gets when he's up against it and can't work out what to do.

Great tournaments I thought, best I can remember for a while.

Big gaps now between the top 4 in the Rankings, it's going to be interesting with Murray and Fed having lots of points to defend over the hardcourt/indoor seasons and Nole and Rafa fighting for every point to be number one.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#62 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
July 05, 2011, 06:33:34 pm
Brilliant piece.  Me and GME were talking the other week about how, as you get older, the simplicity and beauty of sport becomes increasingly valuable and enjoyable. Not to mention the thrill of living vicariously through the performance of others.  I can't wait for the footie season to start.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#63 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
July 05, 2011, 07:04:11 pm
yes, agree with that.  Footie could wait for me but roll on Montreal, Cincinatti and Flushing Meadow.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#64 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
July 05, 2011, 08:34:41 pm
I forgot to say thanks for sharing. And before I get accused of being a Johan Hari, the conversation I actually had with GME went more like "I'm turning into my Dad, I'll watch any sport that's on the Tele"; "Yeah, me too, it's f*cking brilliant isn't it, I love sport. Another pint?".  The reflection came afterwards  :-[

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#65 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
July 05, 2011, 08:57:35 pm
haha, brilliant. I think the appreciation comes when you realise just how fucking hard it is to play sport at an even semi proficient level.  i tried golf for a while and just hitting it consistently is nails, there's so many processes go into a golf swing, get one of them slightly wrong and wave your ball goodbye. these guys who can get so much control on the ball at their will with a four foot long stick in their mitts is awesome.

Dolly

• forum hero
#66 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
July 06, 2011, 10:25:05 am
Very good FD- very true as well.
Interesting article as well Nai. I'm up for more tennis watching as well and TBH becoming less and less interested in footy (not just because of how bad Wednesday are at the moment)

Dolly

• forum hero
#67 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
January 26, 2012, 12:09:35 pm
Anyone else listening to (or even watching) the Federer vs Nadal semi final at the Aussie open ?
Sounds like its "yet another brilliant game"

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#68 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
January 26, 2012, 12:58:11 pm
Saw bits of it, awesome stuff, Nadal is a beast.

if Murray makes it through tomorrow, having lost to Djoko & Federer already he could get himself a grand slam of Aussie Open final defeats to the world's top 3.

Big If (although I reckon he could do it on current respective form) of course but interesting that the atp website are billing a Nadal vs Djokovic head to head  :whistle:

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
#69 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
January 26, 2012, 02:36:44 pm
i watched the clijsters v azarenko match early hours of this morning,seen a few bits of other games but not much.djokovich will destroy murray :shrug:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#70 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
January 26, 2012, 02:57:54 pm
People used to say it was unfortunate for Murray that he'd hit his peak at a time when two of the best players ever were around..........

tomtom

• forum hero
#71 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
January 26, 2012, 03:01:36 pm
People used to say it was unfortunate for Murray that he'd hit his peak at a time when two of the best players ever were around..........

And some people smirk... ;)

I'm quite interested in the Lendl <> Murray combo... apparently they share similar senses of humour (very dry..). I guess its a bit of a Beavis and Butthead combo.... :)

Dolly

• forum hero
#72 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
January 26, 2012, 04:17:10 pm
Good spot :)
They're pretty similar aren't they.

He said new balls huh huh huh huh

tomtom

• forum hero
#73 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
January 26, 2012, 04:39:59 pm
Good spot :)