UKBouldering.com

Anyone for Tennis? (Read 33214 times)

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#25 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 28, 2011, 11:43:18 pm
Good to see Lisicki go through today - love the emotion she brings onto the court.

As for Sharapova - at the risk of upsetting Roy Hobbs (aka galpinos) or sounding like a Daily Wail reader can't she just put a bloody sock in it - ruined a perfectly good tennis match today with that god awful banshee shrieking she indulges in. I really am tempted to buy an ex army rifle and stake out a place on the grassy knoll (aka Henman Hill)...

Kingy

• forum hero
#26 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 29, 2011, 12:04:29 am
I reckon Sharapova may be edged out by Azarenka in the final, she looks in great shape, despite her lower ranking. I think Lisiki is a good player but looked vulnerable at key moments, like all the set points she lost against Bartoli, so I reckon she may lose out to sharapova in the semi. I agree Sharapova should get some kind of training to deal with those power screams, worse than Ondra!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#27 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 29, 2011, 08:09:11 am
Good to see Lisicki go through today - love the emotion she brings onto the court.

:agree:

Refreshing to see. Hope she can put up a decent fight against Sharapova but the noisy cow did look awesome yesterday.

Think a lot may depend on the weather as Sharapova will be hoping for rain and to play under the roof. I read that she had to rebuild her serve after injury and now uses a really high toss. She now struggles with double faults / 1st serve percentage if it's even a little windy so in the perfectly still conditions of centre court with the roof on she has a big advantage both actual and psychological.

galpinos

• forum hero
#28 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 29, 2011, 08:34:18 am
As for Sharapova - at the risk of upsetting Roy Hobbs (aka galpinos) or sounding like a Daily Wail reader can't she just put a bloody sock in it - ruined a perfectly good tennis match today with that god awful banshee shrieking she indulges in.

I totally agree with this. I have no issue with the grunt of effort but this is something else. Thought it may “help her breathing" it seems to me to be unnecessary and off putting for opponents.

The reason I like her/want her to do well is because she’s come back from what could have been a career ending condition/operation. My favourite women’s player by far is Sam Stosur but she’s not doing so well at the moment. A proper player with a big kick second serve, the ability to slice, has soft hands, gets into the net and actually moves like a sportsperson. I’m a bit fed up of lanky lasses with massive ground strokes who are a bit immobile; hence I’m no fan of Kvitova

Having picked all the winners yesterday I’ll say it’ll be a Sharapova – Azarenka final. Lisicki will push Shaza but if Shaza plays like yesterday, she’ll pull through (probably in three). Kvitova to be given the run around and mentally collapse, Azarenka in two.

galpinos

• forum hero
#29 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 29, 2011, 09:14:01 am

As for predictions for the men’s today……

Nadal will win in straight sets; I don’t think Fish has the weapons to cope. I’m rooting for Tomic, not sure he can do it but Novak could be a little flaky. Novak in four. Federer will step it up after dropping a set in the last round and win in three, Tsonga’s not quite there.

And Murray, going on his last performance it should be a straight sets win but I’ll say Murray in four.

Dolly

• forum hero
#30 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 29, 2011, 10:07:27 am
Agree with all of those apart from Djokovic - I think he'll win in straight sets as well and Tomic (although he looks a great player for the future) just won't know what's hit him

galpinos

• forum hero
#31 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 29, 2011, 10:41:27 am
Agree with all of those apart from Djokovic - I think he'll win in straight sets as well and Tomic (although he looks a great player for the future) just won't know what's hit him

They knock up together quite a bit so I'm hoping Tomic won't be too star struck and will have a bit of a game plan. We shall see!

Dolly

• forum hero
#32 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 29, 2011, 02:13:10 pm
Haven't been watching (been er..climbing instead) but now back at work and looks like it might be a bit more interesting than I thought. Tomic 4 2 up in the second

galpinos

• forum hero
#33 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 29, 2011, 02:30:48 pm

Quality tie-break from Fed to go 2 up.

Tomic takes the second, allez youth!

Dolly

• forum hero
#34 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 29, 2011, 02:33:26 pm
When Fed is like that he's great to watch. Tsonga is too though TBH.
Not sure who I want to win really in the Djokovic/Tomic match

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#35 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 29, 2011, 02:35:43 pm
As Alf from Neighbours never used to say, Djokovic looks like he's going to "chuck a thrombo, mate".

galpinos

• forum hero
#36 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 29, 2011, 03:29:38 pm

All hotting up!

Fed down a break in the fourth and Tomic breaking back to level what looked like it was going to be his final set. If only I wasn't at work, sporadically checking scores between meetings!

galpinos

• forum hero
#37 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 29, 2011, 03:58:04 pm

As for predictions for the men’s today……
.... I’m rooting for Tomic, not sure he can do it but Novak could be a little flaky. Novak in four.
Bang on.

Federer will step it up after dropping a set in the last round and win in three, Tsonga’s not quite there.
Well off the mark. Fed down a break in the fifth. At two love up in sets I thought he'd stroll the third, not so. He's never lost a five set in a Grand Slam, is this the time?

Ethan

• obsessive maniac
#38 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 29, 2011, 04:10:14 pm
Fed in some deep shit if he don't get a move on soon...

galpinos

• forum hero
#39 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 29, 2011, 04:24:56 pm
 :o

Dolly

• forum hero
#40 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 29, 2011, 04:26:52 pm
Wow.
Tsonga was well worth it though and looked like he really enjoyed it at the end :)

Ethan

• obsessive maniac
#41 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 29, 2011, 04:27:16 pm
What a shocker!!!

tomtom

• forum hero
#42 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 29, 2011, 05:02:57 pm
Murray Lopez looks like an ace contest (as in #of aces..)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#43 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 29, 2011, 05:22:22 pm
Murray Lopez sounds like an Irish/Mexican rapper.

tomtom

• forum hero
#44 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 29, 2011, 06:13:50 pm
Looks like a tramp. Have a shave Murray you tool.

Ethan

• obsessive maniac
#45 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 29, 2011, 09:42:28 pm
Can't help but feel that its going to be same old same old when Murray meets Nadal in the semi's but we'll see... Andy is playing well and with Rafa's injury maybe it could play to his advantage.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#46 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 29, 2011, 09:51:54 pm
Naaah, Murray's accuracy is the best it's been and he's playing more maturely. Every time he makes a mistake he's sucking it in and stepping up.

He's walked every game and he's beaten Nadal before when playing worse, so he's in a great position. 

But then I'm biased ;)

:popcorn:

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#47 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 29, 2011, 09:59:09 pm
What a great 3 days tennis, bring on the rest of the week.  Can't remember a Ladies tournament this exciting and open ever.

I think Murray will give Rafa a game, possibly even win.  He gave him two good games on clay recently and probably should have won in Monaco/Madrid, so perhaps, on grass, maybe.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#48 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 30, 2011, 08:06:30 am
But then I'm biased ;)

Me too. Come on Rafa!  ;D

Ethan

• obsessive maniac
#49 Re: Anyone for Tennis?
June 30, 2011, 03:04:48 pm
Well another bit of a surprise there! Azarenka just didn't have any answers to that massive serve and the huge ground strokes of Kvitova's today, she looked in a different class besides that slight slip up in the second. Shezza up next, lets see what she can do.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal