UKBouldering.com

Climbing near London (Read 5618 times)

roddersm

• stalker
Climbing near London
May 03, 2011, 09:53:48 am
Hi Folks,

I'm heading over to a wedding in epping at the end of may :( and was thinking of maybe combining this with a weeks climbing somewhere so that it isn't a total waste of a weekend ;).

I was thinking of heading up to the peak maybe but I'm just wondering what other good options there were for 5-6 days. Sport climbing on the south coast maybe? Will likely higher a car but if theres' any top quality bouldering/trad/ sport venues that people could recommend within a feasible distance then that would be great.

Thanks.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Climbing near London
May 03, 2011, 10:09:47 am
What do you regard as "feasible". Realistically there isn't much anywhere near London except the Southern Sandstone which, while mildly diverting, is not the best rock in the world. Sport climbing in Dorset is a nice diversion, but you can get to the Peak in a similar time where a lifetime of wonderful goodness awaits you. End of may will probably be too hot for top end bouldering, but by all accounts the lime is in good nick already and there is tons of quality grit cragging and mid / lower grade bouldering to be done.

roddersm

• stalker
#2 Re: Climbing near London
May 03, 2011, 10:17:47 am
Thanks SA Chris thats what I thought really. I suppose feasible is no further  than the peak as I don't want to waste too much time travelling. I was thinking maybe Portland but if the peak is the same distance then that sounds like the best plan.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#3 Re: Climbing near London
May 03, 2011, 10:26:58 am
From N London I think timewise it will be similar time to get to Portland as the Peak, but it's been a while since I did either journey, I'm sure someone will confirm.

Stubbs

#4 Re: Climbing near London
May 03, 2011, 10:35:49 am
Epping is just off the M11 so you could be in the southern peak in less than 3 hrs, getting to Portland would probably take about 3 and a half, but would be a mare of a drive.  I know which one I'd rather drive to!

The Churnet is another possibility.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Re: Climbing near London
May 03, 2011, 11:28:01 am
Closest significant climbing from Epping will be the south east Peak (eg Birchens), the lower Wye Valley (eg Wintour's) and Bristol area which are all about 2 and a bit hours, the bit depending on when and how fast you drive.  Swanage, the central (Stanage) and south-west (Roaches) Peak and Churnet are all about 20-30 mins further.  Cheddar and Portland are about 30-40 mins further still.   

The journey differences seem to matter when planning a day trip from London, but for a week's holiday they are inconsequential.  I'd choose according to the the type and grade of climbing you are after and perhaps according to what the weather is doing close to the time (Swanage or Portland are very safe bets by UK standards).

SA Chris

• forum hero
#6 Re: Climbing near London
May 03, 2011, 11:31:37 am
True dat. If you can stay flexible until a few days before and choose the destination based on latest forecast, the world is your lobster.

roddersm

• stalker
#7 Re: Climbing near London
May 03, 2011, 11:38:41 am
Thanks guys. Likely we will head to Hathersage but I just wanted to see what other options were available. I'll keep the south coast in mind though if the weather is bad up north.

roddersm

• stalker
#8 Re: Climbing near London
May 03, 2011, 11:41:08 am
Ah one other thing.  Is there anywhere that you can rent boulder mats in the peak? Will mostly be doing routes but wouldn't mind checking out a few problems too around stanage, burbage etc.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#9 Re: Climbing near London
May 03, 2011, 11:41:24 am
I'd be willing to be flexible based on traffic / roadworks as well - I've done Hathersage to East London in 3h 30, but it's also taken me nearer 6 hours when snarled up in traffic on the southern end of the M1, widening 50mph roadworks at Luton, accident near Nottingham etc etc etc...

From memory there was a decent stretch of 50mph average speed works from Nottingham up to about Chesterfield recently, not sure if they're still there at the mo.

As a guideline I'd try and avoid heading north at any point on a Friday after about 3pm, and if you're looking to get back into London after 5pm on a Sunday eve expect hassle!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#10 Re: Climbing near London
May 03, 2011, 12:04:17 pm
Is there anywhere that you can rent boulder mats in the peak? Will mostly be doing routes but wouldn't mind checking out a few problems too around stanage, burbage etc.

Pretty sure you can hire from t'works, but can't see owt on the site.

http://www.climbingworks.com/

Otherwise ask on here if someone has a spare they would loan you for the price of a six pack or a couple of pints.

roddersm

• stalker
#11 Re: Climbing near London
May 03, 2011, 12:11:46 pm
Thanks alot guys. The penny has dropped that if I decide on the peak it might make more sense to head out the week before then travel down to the wedding rather than vice versa, so it's good to know the traveling times there and back. Either way its all useful stuff to know. cheers all.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal