UKBouldering.com

What makes a good CV? (Read 17126 times)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#25 Re: What makes a good CV?
March 30, 2011, 02:54:19 pm
For achievements, make them objective, for example: reduced operating costs by 5% and turnover by 10% within 2 years

I don't think I'd be bragging about the second one.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#26 Re: What makes a good CV?
March 30, 2011, 02:58:18 pm
Spelling, punctuation and layout important.

As an employeer, I could not give 2 hoots if you are popular, what you interests are or dislikes/likes.  I am looking for somebody to do a job with ruthless efficiency, minimum complaint to management, minimum distraction to coworkers.

:lol:

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#27 Re: What makes a good CV?
March 30, 2011, 03:07:50 pm

As an employee, I could not give 2 hoots if you are popular, what you interests are or dislikes/likes.  I am looking for somebody to do a job with ruthless efficiency, minimum complaint to management, minimum distraction to coworkers.

Good luck.

Remind me not to apply for a job with you...

RAK Punter

• Trusted Users
  • regular
#28 Re: What makes a good CV?
March 30, 2011, 03:17:08 pm

As an employee, I could not give 2 hoots if you are popular, what you interests are or dislikes/likes.  I am looking for somebody to do a job with ruthless efficiency, minimum complaint to management, minimum distraction to coworkers.

Good luck.

Will do ;)

RAK Punter

• Trusted Users
  • regular
#29 Re: What makes a good CV?
March 30, 2011, 03:20:07 pm
Spelling, punctuation and layout important.

As an employeer, I could not give 2 hoots if you are popular, what you interests are or dislikes/likes.  I am looking for somebody to do a job with ruthless efficiency, minimum complaint to management, minimum distraction to coworkers.

:lol:

:oops: :spank:

andyh

• stalker
#30 Re: What makes a good CV?
March 30, 2011, 03:54:56 pm
My twopenneth...
My CV is 3 pages long and it took a lot of Word jiggery-pokery to fit it all on 3 pages.
Page 1
Personal details
Profile (not personal statement - this essentially a reduced covering letter - 8 lines detailing core skills in the areas on the job description, so the recruiter can see straight away you fit the job – always tweaked to the job spec).
Key Skills
ie the software I'm good with
Key achievements
5 bulleted achievements again with emphasis towards the job i'm going for
Page 2
Employment History
Page 3
Further Employment History
Education

I’ve been contracting for 6 years and have only been out of work through choice to go on big trips, and last year was told by a recruitment consultant that it was the best CV he’d seen both in terms of layout and content.
So I’m not a recruiter, but I think if you have the right content you don’t HAVE to adhere to the ‘must be under 2 pages’ line of thought

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#31 Re: What makes a good CV?
March 30, 2011, 04:15:06 pm
I think if you have the right content you don’t HAVE to adhere to the ‘must be under 2 pages’ line of thought

Well, I guess if by the end of page 2 the recruiter has either already decided you're in, or has been encouraged to read the 3rd page, then it's fine. I guess the "2 page" idea is to force people to be concise and not waffle.

I doubt many recruiters would bin a 3 page CV without reading it, but I bet many have been binned before they've even made it through the first half page of waffle...

Will do ;)

Erm....what industry was it you work in again....  :-\  :-[

andyh

• stalker
#32 Re: What makes a good CV?
March 30, 2011, 04:30:37 pm
Forgot to mention - right at the end I have an interests sections - 2 lines on my other interest and 2 on 'outdoor activities' - climbing up to the standard of blaa blaa with several first ascents of unclimbed previously routes, skiing blaa blaa, parascending blaa. Am asked about this in 90% of interviews - it shows you are a. not dull b. can convey enthusiasm on a subject

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#33 Re: What makes a good CV?
April 12, 2011, 08:33:04 pm
This is the first chance I have had to read through all the replies to my questions, cheers all. Some very interesting points raised and taking most on board, my CV looks like a 6th former has designed it, and most likely typed it as well. It really is shit! I am going to have a look around where I want to relocate too, see whats about in terms of job opportuities and rethink my CV. Tailoring it to the job certainly sounds like a good idea, and not something I had thought about really in depth. I have managed to get by over the last few years but I can't escape the fact my CV is dated, and shite.

Thanks again.

The Aaronator

• menacing presence
#34 Re: What makes a good CV?
February 23, 2012, 01:45:28 pm
I have read all the above... but before I put fingers to keyboard, please can anybody recommend a good 'classic' (and downloadable) CV template to help get me started?

Paul B

• forum hero
#35 Re: What makes a good CV?
February 23, 2012, 01:50:12 pm
There are loads available for laTEX if you're at all interested (likely not)?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#36 Re: What makes a good CV?
February 23, 2012, 02:06:29 pm

:agree: LaTeX CVs look very professional (in my biased opinion) without being flashy, but will stand out from the standard Word-processed ones.

The Aaronator

• menacing presence
#37 Re: What makes a good CV?
February 23, 2012, 02:07:58 pm

Thanks, but I've never used laTex and time is a big issue. I was hoping for something that I could simply type my relevant information in, in either Word or Open Office.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#38 Re: What makes a good CV?
February 23, 2012, 02:25:47 pm
Online CV Creation

LibreOffice  CVTemplates (OpenOffice forked a while back and LibreOffice is the more widely used version, templates should still work in OpenOffice if thats what you have installed).

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#39 Re: What makes a good CV?
February 23, 2012, 02:39:19 pm

Thanks, but I've never used laTex and time is a big issue. I was hoping for something that I could simply type my relevant information in, in either Word or Open Office.

Dude its a joke now, Ive had nothing to do with cv's for years and I saw someones cv the other day, like a work of art..  2 pages on word, who you are.. blurb about what you looking for, whats your quals, where've you worked, interests, references.. cant see what wrong with that myself.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#40 Re: What makes a good CV?
February 23, 2012, 02:50:27 pm
I spend virtually zero time changing the style/layout of mine, thats left to LaTeX and the template.  What I spend time on is as you say the content.

But then I use LaTeX all the time and only recourse to WYSIWYMG word processing when working on documents collaboratively.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#41 What makes a good CV?
February 23, 2012, 02:50:34 pm
Ok...

What the hell do you do, when your qualification list; takes a page on it's own?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#42 Re: What makes a good CV?
February 23, 2012, 02:51:33 pm
Reduce the font size and/or put them into a table with columns (although no need for the lines themselves)?

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#43 Re: What makes a good CV?
February 23, 2012, 03:01:22 pm
Ok...

What the hell do you do, when your qualification list; takes a page on it's own?

Wonder why your looking for a job?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#44 Re: What makes a good CV?
February 23, 2012, 03:04:35 pm
2 pages on word, who you are.. blurb about what you looking for, whats your quals, where've you worked, interests, references.. cant see what wrong with that myself.

I leave the blurb about what I'm looking for off of the CV and instead put it in a covering letter (many places that have application forms don't accept CVs anyway, but will accept a covering letter accompanying the application form).

Paul B

• forum hero
#45 Re: What makes a good CV?
February 23, 2012, 03:10:22 pm
Ok...

tick the box for over qualified? Surely a two page list of qualifications can't all be relevant (i.e. have some superceded others?).

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#46 What makes a good CV?
February 23, 2012, 04:16:02 pm
Ok...

Wonder why your looking for a job?

I'm not!

To tell the truth, I've not submitted a CV for a job since the late 90's. All my employment has come on a "When can you get here" phone call...
Haven't had an interview since October '98, at least not a formal one, had several "come and meet" type dinners that lead to an offer.
I am lucky to be in a small industry and well qualified/known.

My (typically obscure) point was, I never worried about long CV's when hiring. As long as it was readable and not waffle.

My industry is typically characterised by the "Project" worker, those who do a year or two on project X then go off somewhere else for project Y. So fitting experience into a few lines is all but impossible.
Also Project management leads to a such a varied skill set it can be difficult to abbreviate.

I don't know your field or the expected format within your community, but I can't imagine being overly brief can be an advantage.

I suppose it depends on the level too. People are less likely to spend much time on entry or middle level applications as there will be more applicants and less at stake...

I have to say, the first thing I always read was the covering letter. If that was interesting, then I would shift the application to the take another look later pile.

Can you speak to someone more senior in the same field? Old lecturer, perhaps, with industry contacts?

Do you have a professional body or institute?

Do they arrange Mentors?

psychomansam

• forum hero
#47 Re: What makes a good CV?
February 23, 2012, 04:31:38 pm

If you make it like that, use one of the free online pdf converters. Pdf's normally come out prettier, and  especially look more professional attached to an email.

Edit: Before taking my advice, do bear in mind I'm off to the jobcentre in the morning. Anyone want to hire an RE teacher?

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#48 Re: What makes a good CV?
February 23, 2012, 06:33:23 pm
It has to be one of the most arduous of personal tasks doesn't it? I'm still not sure if I've got it 'right'.

I did manage to get a job from mine but I don't perceive that to mean all is entirely well. Architectural cv's seem to be something of a mystery and neither does there seem to be a fixed method. I would also appreciate some critique Shark et al if possible please?

I opted for thumbnail images down the right of the pages to pique curiousity without submitting reams of work and have submitted this alongside a small a3 pdf booklet entitled 'Samples of work' in applications. The jury seems o be firmly out though on the CV front from reading through the thread.

Best of luck with the job hunt Golt!

Paul B

• forum hero
#49 Re: What makes a good CV?
March 15, 2012, 11:35:44 am
whats the general consensus on detailing education on a CV?

I'm just finishing a postgrad degree that I went into straight after my initial degree, straight after school etc. and I'm a bit unsure as to what qualifications I should and shouldn't list, some look a bit mickey mouse when listed.

Plus, I'm lacking much 'experience' and I think this looks like a gaping void on the page. Any tips?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal