UKBouldering.com

Burren knowledge? (Read 2514 times)

Sam

• addict
Burren knowledge?
March 27, 2011, 11:02:02 am
do folks have any advice for the above venue?  Got a van, so are there good park-up spots? Routes - are there plenty of good VS-E2s? Are the grades comparable with the UK? What are peoples experiences of getting a van across from Holyhead - had a look on ferrysavers and Irish ferries return was looking at about £326 for 2. Thinking of going in april/may. That underdeveloped fillim has got me rad syked n'that.

cheers all

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Burren knowledge?
March 28, 2011, 06:41:17 am
By Burren do you specifically mean Ailadie?

If so, there is roadside parking, which I reckon would be fine for overnight.

There is a fair bit in the VS to E2 range, but most of the quality is in the upper grades. Have a look at a guidebook. It is quite tidal and often affected by high seas. Murroughkilly is an OK diversion for a day or so if this is the case. Grades felt pretty much spot on.

No idea on ferries, been a while since I was there and travelled Pembroke -> Rosslare anyway.

chillax

• forum abuser
#2 Re: Burren knowledge?
March 28, 2011, 09:34:04 am
The bouldering in Doolin is quite nice alright. Flat walls, perfect landings and the odd airy feeling highball. The main meat is at Ailladie though. Essentially roadside, handy parking, great routes and no crowds. Weathers been perfect for the last couple of weeks too. Theres some nice stuff up to E1 but the crag kind of starts at E2. Do you have an ab rope? The ab in routes are well worth doing. As for grades, I can't really compare with anywhere in the UK other than Pembroke, but they often seem to fell a bit stiffer (and pumpy as all fuck!). A nice ticklist would be:

VS
Ground Control
Bonnan bui
Jet
Jug City

HVS
Pheonix
Pis Fluich
Great Balls of Fire
Black Magic

E1
Spitfire
Son of Sam (Brutish)
Hooked on Crack (needs big gear)
The Ramp

E2
Western Pride (soft)
Garbh
The Ocean (good for boulderers)
Lucy
Gallows Pole
Skywalker
Route 32
Line of Fire

DOing all that would be good going I think. Enjoy!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: Burren knowledge?
March 28, 2011, 09:42:18 am
I was really keen to do Pis Fluich, but tides were wrong and waves coming about a 1/3 of way up route, so we were limited to the left hand bit only.

chillax

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Burren knowledge?
March 28, 2011, 10:16:34 am
I was really keen to do Pis Fluich, but tides were wrong and waves coming about a 1/3 of way up route, so we were limited to the left hand bit only.

Can easily happen. Was toproping something on the wall left of pis fluich yesterday. Was above halfway and still got hammered by a wave!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal