UKBouldering.com

Sheffield urban singletrack (Read 4860 times)

Dolly

• forum hero
Sheffield urban singletrack
March 10, 2011, 02:18:09 pm
A first post to see if anyone has info on the above and it can develop into a thread.
I think its probably not a good idea to post obvious/busy footpath routes for obvious reasons.

Here's my starters for 10...
Just went out for a quick blast from work up to Wincobank (Iron Age hill fort)  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wincobank_%28hill_fort%29
Never been there before and it was ace. Once out of the litter at the bottom of the hill, there were some good trails through the woods and some faster bumpier stuff higher up near the site of the fort. As you'd expect from a fort you can see for miles from the top and the descents through the woods (Oak, Beech and Ash) were pretty clean.
If anyone is in the slightest bit interested there's some more info and history of the woods and the site here http://www.heritagewoodsonline.co.uk/map/034/034.html

I'm definitely going back for another look sometime

Have also ridden in Park Springs (Neepsend) which is worth a further look and Roe Woods (very briefly)

Any more that might be worth a look ?

underground

• forum hero
#1 Re: Sheffield urban singletrack
March 10, 2011, 09:23:50 pm
I've 'seen' what looks like a promising bit of hill to the left of Bernard Road and all that when viewed from West Bar. There's a big stone wall in front of it with a big Kid Acne mural on it.
Afraid I've never had my bearings about me to realise which direction it's in TBH (seen out of the top floor of HSBC) but I'll go up for a coffee tomorrow and work it out on Google maps....

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#2 Re: Sheffield urban singletrack
March 10, 2011, 10:51:24 pm
will show any interested basically all the XC I do... as the peak is not my bag for XC...

I aint gonna tell you mind  :P

I think the best XC in the peak is in the city limits...

Dolly

• forum hero
#3 Re: Sheffield urban singletrack
March 10, 2011, 11:09:50 pm
I've 'seen' what looks like a promising bit of hill to the left of Bernard Road and all that when viewed from West Bar. There's a big stone wall in front of it with a big Kid Acne mural on it.
Afraid I've never had my bearings about me to realise which direction it's in TBH (seen out of the top floor of HSBC) but I'll go up for a coffee tomorrow and work it out on Google maps....
Would like to know more Underground. Does that lead up to the flats or am I thinking of the wrong hill ? (easily done in Sheffield)

underground

• forum hero
#4 Re: Sheffield urban singletrack
March 16, 2011, 09:26:06 pm
Would like to know more Underground. Does that lead up to the flats or am I thinking of the wrong hill ? (easily done in Sheffield)

Hiya Dolly, apologies for delay, it's been a busy week... anyway, I didn't need a map in the end. Basically the mural is on the stone wall of the park on Pitsmoor road, the one with a big stone building at the top (church?) - I could recognise the cement tower opposite the Foundry.

The loads of what looks like birch woods to the 'left' is obviously parkwood springs so it's between Pitsmoor and the ski village. Sorry if that disappoints.

However now I have my bearings again, the thing I assumed was part of the ski village definitely isn't... back again for the coffee. It'll probably end up being a service road on a landfill tip or something ;-)

Dolly

• forum hero
#5 Re: Sheffield urban singletrack
March 24, 2011, 02:21:26 pm
Parkwood Springs is good - have ridden there a few times as its literally 5 minutes from work to being off road.
Today's trip was from Langsett Road, up through a couple of parks I didn't even know existed onto Walkley. From there onto the Bolehills BMX track which was surprisingly good fun as I don't have a clue what you're "meant" to do or any ability to do it TBH.
Found some, but not lots, of nice paths underneath the track, one of which was very good - rocky, rooty but all over too soon really. Not quite sure where I went after that but it was down some steps and then a steep track by the side of an old cemetery to Rivelin Valley Road and the bridleway by the side of the river to Hillsbro and back to work

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#6 Re: Sheffield urban singletrack
March 24, 2011, 09:42:01 pm
yr riddin steps now mate?

sweet...

get that AM bike out to wharncliffe... you know you want it.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 Re: Sheffield urban singletrack
March 25, 2011, 04:51:11 am
From there onto the Bolehills BMX track which was surprisingly good fun as I don't have a clue what you're "meant" to do or any ability to do it TBH.
One thing you can try is the pump challenge. You're only allowed to pedal down the starting ramp, then you have to see how far you can get round the track just by pumping the bike up and down the pointy bits whilst freewheeling. Good for technique.  Other than that the general idea is to get around it fast whilst heroically clearing all the doubles/triples. This is quite hard, though not as hard as somewhere like Chesterfield BMX Track. Not that I can ride either of them properly.

Dolly

• forum hero
#8 Re: Sheffield urban singletrack
March 25, 2011, 10:07:39 am
yr riddin steps now mate?

sweet...

get that AM bike out to wharncliffe... you know you want it.
Well they were quite shallow steps really  :-[

I'll try that pump challenge thing next time I go Bubba. I take it that's for the inner track rather than the outer one with the bigger humps (or whatever they're called) ?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#9 Re: Sheffield urban singletrack
March 25, 2011, 10:19:04 am
it's the big line mate,

I've got round to the back straight.....

then fell off.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#10 Re: Sheffield urban singletrack
March 25, 2011, 01:19:58 pm

There is a little pump-track inside the main track as well but I did mean on the main track.

This talk makes me wish I hadn't broken my hardtail.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal