UKBouldering.com

Dehydration (Read 3726 times)

RowanSB

• RSBStudios
Dehydration
January 22, 2011, 11:24:02 pm
I've been training pretty hard recently. For the past 2 weeks ive been having hard bouldering sessions but it's been obvious that I wasn't really recovering properly even with 3 rest days, then I realised it was dehydration. :( I've been drinking shed loads for the past 3/4 days but I'm still feeling weak as. After reading things on the internet associated with dehydration like muscle atrophy I'm a bit concerned about permanent strength loss. How long can i expect to wait to fully recover?? Is muscle atrophy realistic for a few weeks dehydration??

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Dehydration
January 23, 2011, 08:39:16 am
You are what you piss...

205Chris

• forum hero
#2 Re: Dehydration
January 23, 2011, 08:57:58 am

Should I be worried that this looks exactly like the colour chart I used to pick a colour for my hallway?!

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: Dehydration
January 23, 2011, 09:07:42 am
 ;D I believe Farrow and Ball were involved in designing the colour chart..

(nb. Doctors advise it is important to ensure that your hallway is correctly hydrated)

205Chris

• forum hero
#4 Re: Dehydration
January 23, 2011, 09:14:04 am

(nb. Doctors advise it is important to ensure that your hallway is correctly hydrated)

It'll be alright as long as the paint doesn't smell of piss. I'd hate to get up every morning thinking I lived in an NCP carpark stairwell.

Sorry to drag this  :off: already.

Simon Brown

• regular
  • Saggy, and a bit loose at the seams.
#5 Re: Dehydration
January 23, 2011, 11:26:06 am
Rowan,
The colour chart is a good way to check your hydration levels. If your aim's good.

The relatively mild dehydration you've suffered could lead to vitamin/mineral imbalances which leave one feeling really rough. Try mixing 1:1 fruit juice and water. Remember also that drinking too much can lead to flushing of vital nutrients, again leaving one feeling ruddy awful.

Dehydration isn't just a question of drinking, your solid diet also has an effect on how quickly the replacement fluid is absorbed. I'd recommend The Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition, 6th edition (2009), A & C Black, £15.99 written by Anita Bean. She's former athlete and now a qualified dietician. It's a very readable and serious book, the oatbran muffin recipe in the back is pretty good too. Recovering from serious kidney problems I'm paying a lot of attention to this right now.

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Re: Dehydration
January 23, 2011, 12:12:03 pm
Yes - more seriously its also important to remain hydrated for the hours after exercise.. I often will drink stacks after exercise but have to keep on drip feeding myself for the rest of the evening (and still wake up in the night thirsty!)... Theres probably a nice techincal term for that! Also pre-hydrate?? have a good old glug before starting at the wall for example...

Outside I find it much harder to hydrate when its cold... I'm sure a litre of tea when out for a day isnt enough to hydrate properly, but I dont really feel like glugging water when its brassic..

RowanSB

• RSBStudios
#7 Re: Dehydration
January 23, 2011, 02:08:00 pm
will get on the fruit juices as well then

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#8 Re: Dehydration
January 23, 2011, 04:11:05 pm
Just face it Rowan. You're weak, weak WEAK!

RowanSB

• RSBStudios
#9 Re: Dehydration
January 23, 2011, 04:51:08 pm
 :agree:

Yeah, I'm not usually this weak though

psychomansam

• forum hero
#10 Re: Dehydration
January 23, 2011, 07:04:16 pm

I reckon a few times a week i piss clear enough to be hydrated by that chart. Most of the time it's somewhere in the middle. Don't think i have hydration problems though, drink loads, even have water by my bed every night. What gives!? Shitty body...

:boohoo:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal