UKBouldering.com

Not your average YYFY! (Read 42808 times)

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
Not your average YYFY!
December 22, 2010, 10:00:04 am
Had an interview yesterday and have been offered a job in Sydney!   :thumbsup:

Full relocation package and visas too. The UK head office is sending me over for a few days in Jabuary to meet the team out there and provided I'm happy with the people and the environment, the job is mine.

I'm completely over the moon! Swindon to Sydney, bit of an upgrade in Quality of life i reckon!

It'll only be short trip, but any hints and tips on what I should see/do while I'm there? Also any advice from those who have been through the whole emigration/relocation thing would be great.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Not your average YYFY!
December 22, 2010, 10:08:23 am
Congratulations BB  :thumbsup:

Plattsy is out in Sydney at the moment and Control Freak resides there too (at least thats the impression I get).

Even if you don't like it out there and choose not to stay you'll have a great experience/time (I got offered a job in Perth but came back after a year, its the arse end of nowhere).

dave

#2 Re: Not your average YYFY!
December 22, 2010, 10:10:32 am
My sister is in syndey and loves it etc. You have to remember to raise the pitch of the last word in any sentence though or nobody will understand you (?).

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#3 Re: Not your average YYFY!
December 22, 2010, 10:18:23 am
Bungle lives there so get in touch with him.

If you are there at the start of January go to the SCC for the last Test

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#4 Re: Not your average YYFY!
December 22, 2010, 10:19:43 am
You have to remember to raise the pitch of the last word in any sentence though or nobody will understand you (?).

No problem Dave, I've got that covered as I come from the west country!

If you are there at the start of January go to the SCC for the last Test

Already thought of that G, but sadly, I'll miss it.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: Not your average YYFY!
December 22, 2010, 10:24:58 am
You have to remember to raise the pitch of the last word in any sentence though or nobody will understand you (?).

Ya Reckon?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#6 Re: Not your average YYFY!
December 22, 2010, 10:28:32 am
I lived and worked there for 5 months while on a round the world trip. Great place to be and some excellent steep bouldering dotted around the city, mostly accessible on public transport.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#7 Re: Not your average YYFY!
December 22, 2010, 10:41:48 am
Congratulations BB. Having spent the last couple of months working in Sydney once our RTW trip has finished coming back here will certainly be considered.

I'm sure Mr Carnage will be along with advice all your queries as he has been here for around 5 years now and knows the area/immigration stuff better than I.

We leave Sydney on the 22nd Jan so if your around before then/have spare time we could meet up for a bit of bouldering indoors or outdoors depending on the current unpredictable weather. Drop me a pm.

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#8 Re: Not your average YYFY!
December 22, 2010, 10:53:55 am
Cheers Plattsy,

I'll be out in Sydney either the 9th - 13th or the 16th - 20th, just waiting confirmation. I'm not sure how much free time i'll have, but it would be great to check out some of the bouldering or have a look at the local indoor walls. I'll drop you a pm when my flights are confirmed.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#9 Re: Not your average YYFY!
December 22, 2010, 10:57:18 am
It'll only be short trip, but any hints and tips on what I should see/do while I'm there?

Hint - Victoria Bitter is not a bitter. Hope you like lager, as you have no choice otherwise.

Surf in summer as it's too hot to climb.

Some great bouldering spots scattered about. There is a comprehensive climbing guide online somewhere.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#10 Re: Not your average YYFY!
December 22, 2010, 11:08:47 am
Hope you like lager, as you have no choice otherwise.

Its not bitter, but this stuff is brilliant...

(Had a few pints at the brewery on my wedding day  :thumbsup:)

Plattsy

• forum hero
#11 Re: Not your average YYFY!
December 22, 2010, 12:04:26 pm
I'll be out in Sydney either the 9th - 13th or the 16th - 20th, just waiting confirmation. I'm not sure how much free time i'll have, but it would be great to check out some of the bouldering or have a look at the local indoor walls. I'll drop you a pm when my flights are confirmed.
Cool.

Hope you like lager, as you have no choice otherwise.

Surf in summer as it's too hot to climb.

Some great bouldering spots scattered about. There is a comprehensive climbing guide online somewhere.
There are a few real ales knocking about. Bottled and in chillers and more expensive than the local lagers but they can be found.
The comprehensive guide is prolly this one.

granticus

• forum abuser
#12 Re: Not your average YYFY!
December 22, 2010, 08:42:11 pm
Sissy Crag 8)

Had 3 months in Sydney in 98 and spent plenty of time here.  Steep sandstone bouldering, accessible off the train and in-situ pads/ foam (at least there was back then)..

Northern beaches are great, ferry to Manly then bus it up the coast to Narabeen, surf it up!

Tooheys Old  :beer1:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#13 Re: Not your average YYFY!
December 22, 2010, 10:16:39 pm
Fly fishing for barramundi ?

You lucky bastard.

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#14 Re: Not your average YYFY!
December 22, 2010, 10:38:50 pm
I'm completely over the moon! Swindon to Sydney, bit of an upgrade in Quality of life i reckon!

Hey - Congrats on the job. Sydney is a great place and whilst I've never been to Swindon, I'm sure you're right on the upgrade.

When you're here, its easy to chuck on your rose tinted glasses and be won over by all those lovely touristy things like the harbour, beaches etc. but I reckon you're better off trying to get more a of feel for how it'd be to live there rather than go down the tourist track. Theres plenty of time for that stuff once you get here. If you want the full run down and it'll prob save me writing you a long boring email, give me a shout when you get here and I'll run you through all the gory details of moving etc over a beer. There's 3 of us on here that have been through it - Control Freak, Bungle and myself (we all know each other and climb at the same wall) , so you'll not be short of good advice.

Cheers

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#15 Re: Not your average YYFY!
December 23, 2010, 09:23:09 am
Cheers Carnage. I'll drop you a pm when i get the dates sorted.

Lagers, the fishing was one of the many things that sold it! Baramundi on the fly is defintely a far cry from catching carp down the canal! Might need smething a bit more sturdy than a 5 weight brook rod though!

I spent last night watching "monster fish" on National geographic, so SYKE is high!

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#17 Re: Not your average YYFY!
December 23, 2010, 10:35:43 am
From a kayak!? It must have been like waterskiing!

Bet it wasn't on a dry fly, the heathen!

btw, what the fuck is a "snodger"?

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
#18 Re: Not your average YYFY!
December 23, 2010, 01:47:23 pm
http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/cgi-bin/res.pl?keyword=Snodger&offset=0

BTW, welcome to UKBs Antipodean branch. If you ever find yourself down Mexic.......in Victoria, feel free to contact me for info etc.

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#20 Re: Not your average YYFY!
December 23, 2010, 02:45:41 pm

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#21 Re: Not your average YYFY!
December 23, 2010, 02:53:19 pm
http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/cgi-bin/res.pl?keyword=Snodger&offset=0

Alternatively...

Barred at work, but I can imagine what the urbandictionary definition might be!

Quote from: Urban Dictionary
Snodger    

Scottish term for the sticky substance that resides up ones nasal cavity. (aka - nasal musus, snot, boogers, bogies etc)A term mostly used by neds and children.

You've got snodgers hanging out your nose.

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#22 Re: Not your average YYFY!
December 27, 2010, 05:47:52 pm
Will the Aussies revoke my job offer because of the ashes?!

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
#23 Re: Not your average YYFY!
December 27, 2010, 07:08:20 pm
Apologies for the hijack, but the Mrs and I keep toying with the idea of moving to Sydney (from Manchester) for a year or two for a change, although never having visited before it would be a bit of a gamble as to whether we liked it.

I reckon I could probably get a job (I'm a solicitor) but don't know how easy it is to sort out the visa.  Is anyone able to give me any pointers on applying for it?  I understand if you get a "skilled" job you can get your employer to sponsor you.  If I did so, would my wife also be able to work in, say, a shop or bar part-time?

And what are the best or worst things about moving to Oz?  Also, I hear Sydney's a pretty good base for climbing, but as someone alluded to above, I am concerned that I'd really suffer trying to climb in the summer.  Any thoughts welcolme ... Ta.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#24 Re: Not your average YYFY!
December 27, 2010, 07:17:50 pm
Probably the easiest option is to get a job and have your employers sponsor your visa, thats what happened to me when I went to Perth a few years ago.

The problem will be demonstrating that there is a need for your skill.

My wife (long-term g/friend at the time) got out on my visa.

Oh one thing I remember that irked me was having to fork out a bit of cash (about £150 each plus return trains to London) to have a chest x-ray to ensure neither of us had tuberculosis.  Only required if you're staying in the country longer than a specified period of time, which makes no sense, 'cause those visiting on holiday are just as capable of transmitting it!  :shrug:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal