UKBouldering.com

Northumberland Bunkhouse nearish Shaftoe etc. (Read 6899 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Northumberland Bunkhouse nearish Shaftoe etc.
November 23, 2010, 09:43:15 am
See title. I know about the Desmsmemseeme Farm one in Bellingham, just looking for other options too. Cheers in advance.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
Hard to find thread due to spelling mistake

We stayed in the bunkhouse, which was lovely and warm, and walking distance of the pub, and shop. Kyloe is just down the road. Prob not what you're after for Shaftoe mind.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
http://www.tomlinsonsrothbury.co.uk/

No idea if it's any good or not, never got round to using it.

There's also a YHA in Bellingham and the one at Hexham http://www.demesnefarmcampsite.co.uk/

Bit far south, but just off A69

Just realise that is the one you mentioned, only using a silly name.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 02:09:07 pm by SA Chris »

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Stayed in Bluebell before, wrong location although it's kinda cool, basic but cheaper than a very cheap thing on discount offer.

That Rothbury one looks nice, good location too, will add that to the list.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Some ok pubs too, plus easy access to Simonside etc.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Also a butchers that stocks crocodile.

SA Chris

• forum hero
As all good butchers should.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
Rather than start a new topic I thought I'd ask here!

We are heading up for a bit of a jolly in early Feb and I was wondering what the various car parks are like for neds/scallies.

I've got a small van with no windows in the back, so people can't see if there's anything worth nicking and may assume there is. (It's all deadlocked in the back and has a cage so it can't be gotten into via the front but I don't fancy having the windows smashed for them to see this).

For this reason I won't leave it in the plantation carpark and was hoping it'll be ok for the day at Kyloe/Bowden..etc. Does anyone know if it's fairly crime free?  :shrug:

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
Rather than start a new topic I thought I'd ask here!

We are heading up for a bit of a jolly in early Feb and I was wondering what the various car parks are like for neds/scallies.

I've got a small van with no windows in the back, so people can't see if there's anything worth nicking and may assume there is. (It's all deadlocked in the back and has a cage so it can't be gotten into via the front but I don't fancy having the windows smashed for them to see this).

For this reason I won't leave it in the plantation carpark and was hoping it'll be ok for the day at Kyloe/Bowden..etc. Does anyone know if it's fairly crime free?  :shrug:

What will be will be. You can't spend life worrying if you are going to get broken into. What van you go for in the end?

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
I guess so Adam!

Got a little Peugeot Expert 2.0 HDI with the sleeping platform/storage already built in the back and insulated/ply lined. I'll definitely carpet it out at some stage to make it a bit more homely.

Prob not going to do any extended trips abroad till after the summer but can't wait :)

It has some extra lights wired in the back to a control switch in the front of the van (that runs off the main battery) but will probably look into a 2nd battery to run these off or just use a head torch most of the time.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
Crouch, you live in the car crime capital of the country and you're concerned about getting broken into in the County  :o Get a grip youth. :wall:

SA Chris

• forum hero
Not saying it doesn't exist, but not heard of anyone ever having problems in Northumberland.

I guess trigger happy farmers with shotguns are a more effective deterrent than policemen with sticks.

gme

• forum hero
Climbed up here for 25 years and lived up here for the last five. Not once have i had a problem, heard of any problems or seen any signs of a problem.

The police put signs up a few years ago at a few of the beach carparks but again i have seen non of the usual evidence of break ins i.e. glass on the floor.

Its big news in the Alnwick Gazette if someones cat goes missing.

As people should everywhere when sleeping in vans, keep a low profile. Its quiet up here and the people and police are pretty tolerant but as usual a few people (surfers unfortunatley ) have fucked it up at a number of good camping spots to the extent that the farmers have stopped people using them.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Plus that Raoul bloke did wild campers' reputation no favours :)

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
Cheers for all the feedback. It was a slightly paranoid mindset after witnessing 3 vans having been broken into in my last 3 visits to the plantation. I guess I pictured the Kyloe parking as equally sheltered and out of view/removed from the climbers.

Not sleeping in it this trip as we have a nice warm bunkhouse sorted  :thumbsup:

SA Chris

• forum hero
Just realised it's probably not wise telling a Scouser that there is little car crime in the area. They will arrive armed with screwdrivers and crowbars.

One man crime wave. A bit woo an bit weyyy.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
I'd never noticed the striking similarity between Chris Jackson and Hoppo before now!  :thumbsup:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
It was a slightly paranoid mindset after witnessing 3 vans having been broken into in my last 3 visits to the plantation.

Slight tangent, but do you mean Stanage? If so these haven't been reported. If break-ins happen at all regularly police surveillance gets stepped up significantly, if not it doesn't. Last I heard there hadn't been a break in for 3 years, and surveillance was down to zero...

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
Is there a connection between the Crouch's 3 visits and 3 break-ins he has seen  :-\
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 12:11:41 pm by Andy F »

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
Yeah I was on about Stanage plantation Adam. Monday just gone a red van we were next to had its back window broken when we got to the carpark. I think it was a foreign reg as they were at the crag when we were there and left a bit before. There was a load of glass where their back window was when we got back to the car.

The previous trip within the last year was with Dave Pinn around Feb in his white van where they screwdrivered the sliding door lock and got in to the front stealing the sat nav..etc but I guess Dave didn't bother reporting it seeing as it wasn't overly valuable.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Ta. I'll pass the info on.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal