UKBouldering.com

Any CCNA types on here? (Read 2314 times)

superfurrymonkey

• junky
Any CCNA types on here?
October 24, 2010, 09:42:13 am
That's it really. I'm working through the cisco ccna as part of a course I'm taking at my local technical college and was wondering if any of you people had done the same or are into networking and whether you can recommend me some books, I've got plenty of online materials which are great but it would be nice to have some old skool literature and the last two books I brought were terrible.  :)

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#1 Re: Any CCNA types on here?
October 24, 2010, 09:53:28 am
I've got my CCNA, and just did a refresher course in September.

Unfortunately I can't recommend any books as I just used the big Cisco folders they give you on the courses.

My best advice would be just to do shit loads of subnetting revision (as you know there's loads of these online) as they played a big part of the exams..

Have you got an old router/switch to piss around on? Otherwise, they give you this simulation software on the courses which simulates the Ios on routers etc, you may be able to download that somewhere...

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#2 Re: Any CCNA types on here?
October 24, 2010, 09:59:16 am
If you don't own one, you can pick up old routers on Ebay for a few quid, nothing better than hands on practice IMHO...

superfurrymonkey

• junky
#3 Re: Any CCNA types on here?
October 24, 2010, 09:59:31 am
Yeah just got a 2611xm router and catalyst 2950 switch to play on and have packet tracer installed. Been doing loads of subnetting which I really enjoy so that's good as all the mock tests I've done seem to throw loads of subnetting scenarios at you. Cheers  :)

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#4 Re: Any CCNA types on here?
November 01, 2010, 12:15:51 pm
I passed mine about a year ago now.

Cisco have split CCNA into ICENT1 and 2, so I bought the cisco press icent book for 1, read it, sat the exam and passed. And for 2 I asked work, got the course, read the book and again - passed.

Its much easier if its your job too.

iain

• forum abuser
#5 Re: Any CCNA types on here?
November 01, 2010, 02:04:23 pm

I passed mine this time last year using the Sybex CCNA course by Todd Lammle and a virtual router/switch tool:
http://www.gns3.net/
http://www.gns3-labs.com/
I know you've got your own kit but it let me setup a proper routing network, although it can be a little frustrating to get it working right.

I did it as the one exam rather than 2 cause it was cheaper (I was paying for it) and got it over with.

Be happy to give you a copy of the book and cd's if you pm me your email, assuming its not one you thought was terrible.

superfurrymonkey

• junky
#6 Re: Any CCNA types on here?
November 13, 2010, 09:12:22 am
You got mail  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal