UKBouldering.com

Kindle (Read 42711 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#100 Re: Kindle
January 02, 2012, 10:13:53 pm
You got to admit, he looks kinda dreamy, but I prefer to rock a ... sturdier kind of look:

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#101 Re: Kindle
January 02, 2012, 10:28:59 pm
I've got a case for mine with a built in LED that runs off the Kindle battery through clips into the casing.  I think Amazon make them and it opens like a book so it feels like holding a sturdy paperback.  Not sure how much it cost as it was a present but I dont think it was cheap. 

I do have a great little LED bookclip torch that I use for real books

These little lights are great when being tormented by insomnia and have to read from 02:00 until 05:00  (the hours of the wolf) :'( without waking a sleeping spouse/partner.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#102 Kindle
January 02, 2012, 10:37:02 pm
You got to admit, he looks kinda dreamy, but I prefer to rock a ... sturdier kind of look:

That would get you into all kinds of trouble, if you rode on the tube with one...
Shot, for a start....

dave

#103 Re: Kindle
January 02, 2012, 11:03:52 pm
Currently trying to get shortie to stick her Kindle in something like this as a case:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#104 Re: Kindle
January 03, 2012, 07:56:51 am
These little lights are great when being tormented by insomnia and have to read from 02:00 until 05:00  (the hours of the wolf) :'( without waking a sleeping spouse/partner.
That's why I want one, and for when I'm in a truck that only has a big glaring light in a kindle-unfriendly location.

That would get you into all kinds of trouble, if you rode on the tube with one...
Shot, for a start....
It's ok, I'm white enough to pass the Met's "he's a bit of a funny colour; terrorist! headshot! whoops!" line of inquiry.

Currently trying to get shortie to stick her Kindle in something like this as a case:

I reckon there would be a market for a retro-case like that, nice idea :)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#105 Kindle
January 03, 2012, 08:06:05 am

A book in a book...
Irony enough to do the socks and underwear, as well as the shirts....

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#106 Re: Kindle
January 05, 2012, 09:53:36 pm
Sorry if already posted above...

If you don't like the default fonts and screensavers then follow these guides: 

- Fonts
- ScreenSavers

The hacked fonts are much better than the defaults and you can just add any screensavers you like as long as they're 600x800 and jpeg/png.

Both very easy to install.

underground

• forum hero
#107 Re: Kindle
February 29, 2012, 12:58:12 pm
If anyone is after one, I have a 3G Kindle 3 (keyboard) for sale.

Paul B

• forum hero
#108 Re: Kindle
March 21, 2013, 10:16:12 pm
Is there a legit way to share kindle books (without registering/de-registering devices), in the same way which you could share a paper version?

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#109 Re: Kindle
March 21, 2013, 10:30:07 pm
Not that I have found, I believe using Calibre http://calibre-ebook.com/ and some plug ins, it is pretty simple to convert a kindle book to a non protected ebook format, which can easily be shared.  I am guessing this is against Amazons rules, or they wouldn't have put the protection on in the first place?  Confusingly, I think people in the US are able to 'lend' a kindle book to a friend for some limited period of time.

Paul B

• forum hero
#110 Re: Kindle
July 25, 2013, 11:58:04 pm
Rather than start a new thread:

Has anyone attempted to put line-topos on a kindle (via a PDF document)? I was wondering if it'd work well enough for the Supertopo type books for the routes that aren't so long you'd need to actually take the topo past the base of the route (in other words I can't be arsed to print 50 pages off for the Needles).

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#111 Re: Kindle
July 26, 2013, 11:11:50 am
In recent years I've just taken to photographing the relevant pages with my compact camera at the base of the route.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#112 Re: Kindle
July 26, 2013, 12:20:42 pm
I am concerned that Paul's climbing insurance won't cover a kindle left at the base of the crag and broken by his compact camera being dropped from 200ft up

tomtom

• forum hero
#113 Kindle
July 26, 2013, 02:50:57 pm
I load them on my phone and read them with a pdf viewer on that etc...

Paul B

• forum hero
#114 Re: Kindle
July 26, 2013, 03:19:00 pm
In recent years I've just taken to photographing the relevant pages with my compact camera at the base of the route.

Ditto but the Needles guide is out of print so I have the option of sticking the pdfs somewhere or printing a reasonable number of pages off.

Nat managed to drop the S95, breaking not only the screen but the accelerometer in it, so now it frustratingly shows the photos the opposite way around to how you're holding the camera!

I threw the topos on her kindle last night anyhow. They 'work' but there's a lot of scrolling around due to size differences etc.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#115 Re: Kindle
July 26, 2013, 03:22:14 pm
#firstworldproblems :)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#116 Re: Kindle
November 06, 2013, 07:16:09 pm
My new Kindle paperwhite 3G arrived today.  I had a first gen keyboard  and loved it but this new one is really good.  I switched it on, connected to the network and all the books that where on my other device were there and in the right place.  Feels pretty good to hold and the touch screen is easy....

A good Christmas present for a keen reader.

Paul B

• forum hero
#117 Re: Kindle
December 18, 2013, 09:30:46 pm
I'm just trying to buy a kindle book as a Christmas present (something I've done via the .com website before) however it seems that in the UK, you can't.

If I buy the kindle book and download it to our Kindle, is there any DRM or copyright protection that stops me just transferring it via a USB pen on Christmas day (am I missing any other cons, perhaps it won't backup access to the book this way etc.)?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#118 Re: Kindle
December 18, 2013, 10:04:23 pm
I'm pretty sure you can't do this unless you use 3rd party tools to bypass the DRM stuff....which will almost certainly mean that Amazon won't support it.  All the "3rd party" books I've installed on my Kindle are just ignored by Amazon...which is fine by me but probably not what you're wanting from a present. 

It seems that Amazon UK would prefer you to purchase a gift card which of course is missing the whole point of buying a particular book for somebody.

I've seen some workarounds that "wrap" an official gift card with the details of a particular book but have never tried them myself. 

Paul B

• forum hero
#119 Re: Kindle
December 19, 2013, 12:57:09 am
Thanks. That's a bit of a shame really.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#120 Re: Kindle
February 18, 2014, 04:25:35 pm
Debated starting a new thread but doubtless this has been answered before at some level.

I need a quickfire solution really. I'm looking for a tablet circa £100 that will allow me to perform basic operations. I mainly need it to take customer payments via an online payment gateway and for CRM needs. I can tether from my iphone presumably whilst on the premises making direct sales?

Am I correct in thinking that for around £110 the Kindle Fire 7" tablet is the best option for the money? I use a MacBook Pro and iphone 5 but I'm not convinced of the need to buy an ipad mini. The Fire appears to have a decent CRM app too.

Any help much appreciated since I know zero about tablets.

cofe

• forum hero
#121 Re: Kindle
February 18, 2014, 04:34:42 pm
We've got a Kindle Fire at work (one of the first ones) and it's really bad. Almost unusable. 

James Malloch

• forum hero
#122 Re: Kindle
February 18, 2014, 04:36:54 pm
I really like my Nexus 7 which can be picked up for about £100 now, for the older generation version. Seemed to be recommended by a lot of people. I only use it for PDF files really though so no experience in more advanced tasks...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#123 Re: Kindle
February 18, 2014, 04:42:17 pm
Theres a tablet thread but somewhat dated.

I've no idea what CRM stands for but you could give the Hudl a look and see if there are any applications in the Play Store that do whatever CRM is.

No direct experience using the Hudl though so can't say how "snappy" it is, but its a tablet, and if you can get the software to run on it thats half the problem solved.

Tethering will be very much dependent on your contract and your phone and I've a strong suspicion that you might have to root (jailbreak in Apple parlance).  I have always been able to tether my laptop via my phone connected via USB as I bought my own phone rather than having whatever bastardised crap the phone company put on it.  A friend with the same phone (Samsung Galaxy SII) but from Orange has never been able to get it to work.  Even if it works you may be in violation of your contract.  Since getting a tablet (Nexus 7 2013) I can use my phone as a wireless access point for it (i.e. phone acts as modem for tablet by sending out a WiFi signal which the tablet connects to).

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#124 Re: Kindle
February 18, 2014, 08:10:15 pm
I've got a case for mine with a built in LED that runs off the Kindle battery through clips into the casing.  I think Amazon make them and it opens like a book so it feels like holding a sturdy paperback.  Not sure how much it cost as it was a present but I dont think it was cheap. 

I now have a paper white so if anyone wants a 1st gen with 3G and a case with built in LED for 50 squid drop me a PM.  The 3G is free btw... Just register it with your amazon account.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal