UKBouldering.com

iPod Classic 1439 error (Read 9161 times)

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
iPod Classic 1439 error
September 28, 2010, 01:08:14 pm
Not for the first time I have a 1493 error on my 160GB iPod Classic which means that the iPod cannot be synched or connected to iTunes.  For the first time switching usb ports, 5 R's and all the other usual stuff including trying different PC's (XP adn Vista) and trying iTunes 10 doesn't work.  Strangely this happened one day after the warranty expired.  Windows can't recognise the iPod in disk mode which suggests(?) it does need re-formatting, somehow.  Presumably I need a formatted disk before I can try and jailbreak it?

Any ideas?

P.S. if you are reading this and have a Classic do not update to iTunes 9 (and maybe 10) and do not ever hit the restore button!  See tinterweb forums if you are not convinced.

underground

• forum hero
#1 Re: iPod Classic 1439 error
September 28, 2010, 01:40:17 pm
Is this not fixable by holding the middle and menu button till the apple appears?

chris05

• forum abuser
#2 Re: iPod Classic 1439 error
September 28, 2010, 01:43:21 pm
I tried all of the reccommendations I could find and nothing worked until I deleted itunes and re-installed an old version of itunes (easily found with google). Agree do not update to new versions of itunes.

Some one more cynical than myself might suggest this kind of bug is ignored (or worse) by apple as many people will simply buy a new ipod....

northerngreg

• player
  • slayer
#3 Re: iPod Classic 1439 error
September 28, 2010, 03:13:18 pm
I'd suggest opening the iPod up, taking out the hard drive and connecting it to your computer via the necessary ribbon cable. The computer might just recognise it then. Reformat it and stick it back in the ipod.

OR

Stick the drive in an external hard drive caddy and do the same.

Opening the ipod:

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#4 Re: iPod Classic 1439 error
September 28, 2010, 04:31:26 pm
cheers for the responses

@Underground:  No, if only it were that easy

@chris05:  tried v7, v8, v9 and v10 - which are allegedly required for a 160GB, 120GB will work with all older versions of ipod, apparently.  v8 won't recognise 160GB, v7 does recognise it, even though according to Apple it can't, however it still says that a restore is required.  Back around....

@northerngreg:  After I've had a rant in the Apple store in Meodowhell tonight that may well be my only option but don't really think that it should be necessary on a £200 bit of kit that Apple have fucked up themselves by the introduction of iTunes v9.  You can see where the rant is heading  :furious:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: iPod Classic 1439 error
September 28, 2010, 04:36:34 pm
You can see where the rant is heading  :furious:

Non-proprietary hardware/software? :P

(Sony seriously fucked me off when they removed the "Other OS" functionality to the PS3, with a supposed system "update", fucking tossers).

chris05

• forum abuser
#6 Re: iPod Classic 1439 error
September 28, 2010, 04:37:28 pm
In that case I have no idea. Frustrating isn't it? >:(

Hope the rant works... and if it doesn't call them  :wank: ... it might make you feel a little better

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#7 Re: iPod Classic 1439 error
September 28, 2010, 04:46:14 pm

Non-proprietary hardware/software? :P

Where, how, what?  If they f*** me off then I will gladly try and uninstall their Apple shite and install someone else's instead.  Any recommendations Slackers?  At what time do I need to drop it off down the Sheaf and how many beers would it involve me buying for you?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#8 Re: iPod Classic 1439 error
September 28, 2010, 04:48:57 pm
Rockbox purportedly works well on iPods.

Never done it myself though, but if the store reckon its bricked and you've no other options I can give it a go if you like.

EDIT : Although I just glanced at their wiki and none of the "Classics" seem to be supported unfortunately.

I'm sure there's some other stuff out there though, will have a look around.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#9 Re: iPod Classic 1439 error
September 28, 2010, 04:53:30 pm
Where is the "1439 error" being displayed, on the iPod when its turned on or is it on the computer/iPod when you attempt to sync with iTunes?

If the later there are alternatives to iTunes for managing your iPod.

An even more extreme solution might be to install Linux on the iPod itself, but that would loose some of the storage space to the OS and is probably overkill (as usual with me ::) ).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal