UKBouldering.com

FM transmitter for Ipod Nano (Read 4316 times)

T_B

• forum hero
FM transmitter for Ipod Nano
June 29, 2010, 01:38:00 pm
Any recommendations? There seem to be loads of cheap ones on Amazon, and, rather unsuprisingly, loads of expensive ones on the Apple website.

While I'm at is, what is currently the definitive alternative to the Nano? I want an MP3 player with no moving internal hard drive (so I can take it to altitude), that will hold up to 4,000 songs. Have had a Nano before but it broke when someone stood on it.  Bought a Shuffle last year and hate the thing.

Thanks

Paul B

• forum hero
#1 Re: FM transmitter for Ipod Nano
June 29, 2010, 01:40:46 pm
I take this is for your car?

If so head-units with Aux in (single-din i.e. small rectangular shape) are dirt cheap at the minute. Ipod full control units aren't that much.

Failing that you can add Aux in or Ipod control pretty easily to factory head units (did this on my van last week for £24).

Dan Variable had some wind-up MP3 player that he bought for a Rocklands trip I believe, pretty cool.

T_B

• forum hero
#2 Re: FM transmitter for Ipod Nano
June 29, 2010, 01:46:52 pm
I take this is for your car?

Yes, it has a factory fitted stereo so I can't plug a lead in...

Paul B

• forum hero
#3 Re: FM transmitter for Ipod Nano
June 29, 2010, 01:47:29 pm
what car is it?

Mines a VW and it was piss. I'm pretty sure Technicar on Abbeydale will fit for free if you buy the connection from them as well.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: FM transmitter for Ipod Nano
June 29, 2010, 02:09:05 pm
While I'm at is, what is currently the definitive alternative to the Nano? I want an MP3 player with no moving internal hard drive (so I can take it to altitude), that will hold up to 4,000 songs.

There are many. I recently got a SanDisc Sansa Clip and am impressed so far. Miniscule, but easy to use (no daft twirly dials), good sound, 8GB memory (not sure how many songs that equates to, depends on comression I guess) and has an expansion slot for micro SD cards, should you want more space.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Re: FM transmitter for Ipod Nano
June 29, 2010, 02:45:54 pm
There are many. I recently got a SanDisc Sansa Clip and am impressed so far. Miniscule, but easy to use (no daft twirly dials), good sound, 8GB memory (not sure how many songs that equates to, depends on comression I guess) and has an expansion slot for micro SD cards, should you want more space.
I bought one of these for Ms Bubbs' birthday - really sweet little bit of kit.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#6 Re: FM transmitter for Ipod Nano
June 29, 2010, 02:47:02 pm
Coincidentally, Mrs SA bought me one for mine.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#7 Re: FM transmitter for Ipod Nano
June 29, 2010, 03:16:30 pm
I've got a Sony Walkman. When I bought it, for similar money to a nano you got FM radio and vastly superior battery life, and no pissing about with itunes - drag and drop or sync in windows media player. Only downside seems to be lack of 3rd-party accessories (like itrips) but as Paul said, aux in is the way forward.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#8 Re: FM transmitter for Ipod Nano
June 29, 2010, 03:40:21 pm
Oh yeah, the Sansa has FM radio too. And can record off it should you feel the need to.

and slotradio http://www.slotradio.com/

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#9 Re: FM transmitter for Ipod Nano
June 29, 2010, 03:56:51 pm
The Sansa looks good, but battery life looks poor and I daresay Tom might want video capability for those *ahem* lonely nights at altitude.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#10 Re: FM transmitter for Ipod Nano
June 29, 2010, 04:08:18 pm
True on both counts. Never tested the battery life in anger, and guess it would drop off in cold too.

Paul B

• forum hero
#11 Re: FM transmitter for Ipod Nano
October 04, 2010, 01:24:41 am
While I'm at is, what is currently the definitive alternative to the Nano? I want an MP3 player with no moving internal hard drive (so I can take it to altitude), that will hold up to 4,000 songs. Have had a Nano before but it broke when someone stood on it.  Bought a Shuffle last year and hate the thing.

Thanks

Are there any new recommendations down this line? I've had an 8Gb Nano for a while and its served me well but it started playing up a few months ago (music breaking up and randomly skipping) which I tried to rectify, then the hold button started to go, and finally it wont even charge so I think its a write off.
I think 8gb is fine capacity wise for me (althought it was a 3rd gen so didn't have video capability). Creative Zen?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal