Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#25 Re: Freeview HD....
August 18, 2010, 01:51:58 pm
Interesting (?) reading http://www.aerialsandtv.com/digitaltv.html

Can you give me a management summary?

The digital cliff edge looks quite intriguing - I'd probably top rope it first though  :P

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#26 Re: Freeview HD....
August 18, 2010, 02:06:26 pm

I've come across that site before and been to their shop in Hillsborough. There's no disputing the guy knows his stuff about aerials and TV signals and you have to admire the ludicrous level of geekyness he takes it to. Take for example this page purely on our local transmitter http://www.aerialsandtv.com/sheffieldtx.html I'd definitely use them if I required a new aerial in Sheffield.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#27 Re: Freeview HD....
August 18, 2010, 02:17:06 pm
you have to admire the ludicrous level of geekyness he takes it to
The man has got graphs licked  :bow:

I would believe anything he said based purely on these  :lol:

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#28 Re: Freeview HD....
August 18, 2010, 04:37:53 pm
I'd definitely use them if I required a new aerial in Sheffield.

Exactly what I thought, although I don't.  I just need less trees in my line of sight to Crosspool and/or a line of sight to Emley Moor.

Can you give me a management summary?

A management summary would be to twiddle your old aerial round to get the best picture and if that don't work then call that bloke up!
Oh, and JB's old telly will do him fine for years to come.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#29 Re: Freeview HD....
August 18, 2010, 05:28:38 pm
the vast majority of locations will get all the Digital channels without an “upgrade” if they just wait till DSO.

HA! Result! Good link Norton.

I just need less trees in my line of sight to Crosspool and/or a line of sight to Emley Moor

Neither of us have a hope in hell of LoS to Emley Moor, big as it may be. I've got a perfect view of Crosspool though, which you might not have - you might even be too tight in under the hill so as to not see it at all.

The TX puts out more signal in an Easterly direction than towards the West. C5 and Digital are attenuated in an arc from S to SSW so as not to interfere with the local Totley repeater.

Bastard. That explains the lack of C5 and digi presumably. And from here, Totley is obscured by a big hill.

Davey_C

• regular
#30 Re: Freeview HD....
August 18, 2010, 07:42:33 pm
I got a HD TV a few months back with built in Freesat HD and Freeview HD and the difference is noticeable between SD and HD channels, but not massively so.
I'm finding the slow-mo close ups on the sporting events to be a bit tiresome now as well - you can tell they are just trying to show off the HD capabilities. Who the fuck wants to watch a close-up of someone sliding into a regular tackle in slow motion - just so you can see a few blades of grass go flying through the air (for the 100th time).

I'd consider getting your eyes tested Davey  ;) or someone may have sold you a duff telly  ::) - as the difference from where I'm watching is huge - especially on a large telly..

Ok maybe I was being a bit harsh.

You can notice the difference, especially with football, the close ups are impressive the first few times, but they become a bit tiresome when you watch them dozens of times over the course of a match.....but I still think it's been hyped up so much.

I definitely wouldn't pay Sky £60 a month for the privilege of watching prem football in HD and for the cost of an HD box I don't think it's worth it for 2 or 3 extra channels. However, if you are planning on getting a new TV then I would recommend paying a little extra and getting the built in freesat and freeview hd decoders though - as you'll be future proofing your tv - and there's sure to be a load of new HD channels in the coming years.

Do they not show the vast majority of the shows on BBC HD anyway - is this just a way of getting Eastenders in HD? That seems to be the only program missing from BBC HD.  ;D

No they don't, they have the likes of live football, and the big Saturday night shows like doctor who and robin hood, documentaries like Coast and magazine shows like the one show....but it's not a live broadcast of BBC1. The only stuff I've really watched on BBC HD was the world cup football and Doctor Who (maybe I shouldn't admit that one).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 07:48:58 pm by Davey_C »

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#31 Re: Freeview HD....
August 18, 2010, 09:42:35 pm
I went to these for advice and bought my aerial off them and as has said, probably the most know ledgable people out there.
highly recomended.
Although one thing I don't agree with is them recomending people to buy TV with no tuners as this just means you have to have an extra box/remote control/power cable/wires etc...
admittedly they are correct about the tuners not being very reliable but if they do go then if its not economical to repair, then buy an external box.
To be honest I don't know anyone who's got an inbuilt digital tuners that has broke but I do know plenty of the first generation external digital boxes that have

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#32 Re: Freeview HD....
August 18, 2010, 10:04:26 pm
To be honest I don't know anyone who's got an inbuilt digital tuners that has broke but I do know plenty of the first generation external digital boxes that have
I've got a 28" Sony CRT upstairs with inbuilt Freeview tuner - cost me about 600 squid brand new. I didn't put in on for about 6 months last year and missed the OTA upgrade that Sony apparently put out. Now the Freeview don't work with these new fandangly transmitters an' all. Fuckers...  :wall:

Sony say to fix it, I've got to take it in to them and they will charge me the princely sum of £65 + VAT to upgrade the software.

Anyway instead I bought a Freeview box for £30 and connected it up to a flatscreen monitor I had  :P

TV now defunct, will stick it on the freecycle thread  ;D

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#33 Re: Freeview HD....
August 18, 2010, 10:08:47 pm
probably similar to my dads sony crt with freeview. cue me going round "I'll just retune that for you dad - oh fuck it doesn't work any more"
this is because the tuner only accepts 99 channels as it was a very early model, there is now a lot more which causes it to fuck up. there is a way around it, do some research on t'interweb, there are loads of people that have had exactly the same problem and solved it. my dads telly is fully operational and working again now with no trouble, just won't be retuning it again anytime soon

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#34 Re: Freeview HD....
August 18, 2010, 10:21:07 pm
Yeah I had a look on the web when it happened - there was a huge thread of about 10,000 pages on AV Forums. People were like gonna take Sony to court, burn down their offices etc blah blah blah.

Anyway, the bottom line was you're fucked as no-one had managed to hack the firmware or something so you had to pay Sony in the end.

This was over a year ago so it may have been hacked by now? TV was/is too big anyway - got a nice new LCD Panasonic instead now :)

TV is on freecycle thread if anyone wants to come get it....

tomtom

• forum hero
#35 Re: Freeview HD....
August 18, 2010, 10:39:08 pm
I've got a 28" Sony CRT upstairs with inbuilt Freeview tuner - cost me about 600 squid brand new. I didn't put in on for about 6 months last year and missed the OTA upgrade that Sony apparently put out. Now the Freeview don't work with these new fandangly transmitters an' all. Fuckers...  :wall:

Sony say to fix it, I've got to take it in to them and they will charge me the princely sum of £65 + VAT to upgrade the software.

Anyway instead I bought a Freeview box for £30 and connected it up to a flatscreen monitor I had  :P

TV now defunct, will stick it on the freecycle thread  ;D

Lagers was after a flatscreen telly - nowt flashy - he may well be very interested??

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#36 Re: Freeview HD....
August 18, 2010, 11:01:30 pm
he wanted a flat screen on the wall to save space, not a massive CRT.
You don't need the OTA upgrade to get it working again, there is a lot of info out there but most of its shit.
You just have to sift through it all

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal