UKBouldering.com

dartmoor after rain (Read 4172 times)

chris

• menacing presence
dartmoor after rain
March 31, 2010, 01:53:12 pm
Can anybody tell me what the crags on the moor (especailly saddle tor and bonehill rocks) are like after showers/rain. Going up this weekend but the forecast isnt good, just want to know how fast the rock diries out, seepage etc. i might consider going somewhere else, somewhere with no rock to tempt me away from the Mrs.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: dartmoor after rain
March 31, 2010, 01:56:19 pm
Both are pretty exposed and if it is windy will dry out reasonably sharpish. Sharpish being an appropriate word to use :) Damp seems to persist in the Wave bit at Bonehill though.

chris

• menacing presence
#2 Re: dartmoor after rain
March 31, 2010, 02:08:40 pm
Cheers Chris, ive been told its massively exposed so hopefully the precition of showers will be accurate and it wont be non stop rain. Skin hasnt touched rock in months, so im only hoping for an hour a day just pottering around.....

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: dartmoor after rain
March 31, 2010, 03:37:34 pm
Soft skin plus dartmoor granite definitely equates to only a few hours a day anyway!

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#4 Re: dartmoor after rain
March 31, 2010, 04:45:46 pm
Sorry, thought I would hijack this thread. Heading to Redruth for a wedding this weekend. Any know how Carn Brea dries out? Any other stuff near by worth checking? I'll be there Friday and maybe Sunday. Thanks.

ben

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: dartmoor after rain
March 31, 2010, 04:55:21 pm
Sorry, thought I would hijack this thread. Heading to Redruth for a wedding this weekend. Any know how Carn Brea dries out? Any other stuff near by worth checking? I'll be there Friday and maybe Sunday. Thanks.
In response to Chris - bonehill/saddle both dry quickly as they don't have anything on top to drain onto them really. The main part of saddle was all bone dry on saturday

ZB - quickly in the main. It's going to be windy so anything in the wind will dry quickly. Normally within a couple of hours of light rain stuff is climbable. Godrevy just down the road is worth checking out, but takes longer to dry especially as there'll be a decent swell running all weekend.

I would give you a tour but am off to font next weekend and really need to let my skin recover!

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
#6 Re: dartmoor after rain
March 31, 2010, 06:05:27 pm

Carn Brea doesn't dry that quick it would need a good few hours.

Godrevy will be damp, even if it isn't raining, seepage etc and swell which is forecast to be big.

Clodgy might be ok if it has a chance to dry out.

Good luck, today has been mainly dry and I guess climbable, the weather can often be better than forecast!

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#7 Re: dartmoor after rain
March 31, 2010, 10:00:44 pm
Nice one lads, I was thinking of heading to Bonehill, but drove there from Newquay and remember it being a nightmare, took far longer than I thought it would. Shame as I remember it being very good, if it stays dry should be great conditions. Carn Brea it is. Any guides available, tried Google, no joy.

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
#8 Re: dartmoor after rain
April 01, 2010, 09:56:38 am
Nice one lads, I was thinking of heading to Bonehill, but drove there from Newquay and remember it being a nightmare, took far longer than I thought it would. Shame as I remember it being very good, if it stays dry should be great conditions. Carn Brea it is. Any guides available, tried Google, no joy.

there's a movie here http://blocspenwith.co.uk/

if you park up and walk towards and past the monument and then on for another 100yards you will get to a collection of boulders. bear right a bit more and you should see a large block with three clean arete's. All the problems on this block are good. Then if you move back up the hillside you will find the probs in the video. There are a few more all within throwing distance. This area makes a good circuit. Hope its dry for you.

chris

• menacing presence
#9 Re: dartmoor after rain
April 01, 2010, 02:36:29 pm
nice one guys, bonehill it will be. hopefully it will stay dry.......for a bit anyway!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal