UKBouldering.com

The Breck (Wirral) - Bolting Discussion (Read 3854 times)

GaryB

• regular
    • FB Profile
The Breck (Wirral) - Bolting Discussion
March 11, 2010, 05:15:55 pm
There is currently a discussion going on regarding the possibility of bolting the Overhanging Wall at The Breck in Wallasey (Wirral). So far there has been a fairly positive response from the Facebook group; who only represent part of the Breck users. So if there is anyone in the UKC community that uses the Breck and has an opinion on this matter, please let us know. We need to find as many people as possible, either for or against, before any further action can be taken.

As it stands not many people use the Breck and out of the few that do go there, only a very small number actually use the Overhanging Wall (mainly due to it's bouldering difficulty/lack of protection). If it was bolted, not only would it open the wall up to people that use the Breck, it will hopefully encourage more people to go climbing there.

The Breck on UKC - http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=1628

The Breck Wiki - http://doggiedoofiver.wetpaint.com/

The Breck Lovers page on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=20733733642&ref=search&sid=711715003.1045049944..1

Thanks

G

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Nice copy and paste job there, although you omitted to adapt it to this forum by leaving "UKC" in.  :P

GaryB

• regular
    • FB Profile
 :oops:

Damn, I even remembered at the time of copying it, it seems I forgot upon remembering. It's been a long day at work.

Paul B

• forum hero
has this action been discussed with the BMC or your local access meetings Might be a better place to canvas a wider range of opinions than purely online.

GaryB

• regular
    • FB Profile
I have a feeling Duncan may be talking to the BMC about it. I'll have a chat with him and get back to you with a more definite answer.

GaryB

• regular
    • FB Profile
If anybody who is available on Friday 2nd April (Good Friday), there is a Breck tidy up/spring clean happening. The more people we can get down there the better. Beer and BBQ will be provided for those involved.

The BMC have been informed and have kindly chipped in.

There will be more up-to-date info in the Facebook Breck group, but I'm sure either myself or someone else will update this thread as appropriate.

Thanks to those who have already offered their support :)

See this link for further details - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=20733733642&ref=search&sid=711715003.1045049944..1

GaryB

• regular
    • FB Profile

Dookiegirl11

wow, I live on the Wirral and was convinced our nearest crags were helsby/frodsham.. and nothing else apart from the little irby quarry down my road! Never heard of the Breck :O but definitely will be checking it out now - looks like there's loads to do there!
If it's anything like our other sandstone places nearby with pretty shoddy (if any) places to put gear.. maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing to make one of the routes more erm 'accessible' by bolting it?
I guess the topos for this place will only be in a specific local kinda guidebook then! hmm.
It'll be interesting to see what happens anyway!

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
don't get too excited. Its a proper shit hole, stinks of piss, loads of broken glass/syringes/fly tipping/graffiti/neds etc...
probably used to that tho living on the wirral  ;D
climbing is pretty good however

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Have just seen this thread...

Any word on it? I'm all in favour of the idea. Tick em all then link em all. A lifetime of fun in one peninsula.

tc

• junky
You're all in favour of what? Bolting the back wall  :wank: , not bolting the back wall  :) or cleaning the place up  :thumbsup:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal