UKBouldering.com

does this sort of monitor switch exist? (Read 3533 times)

bobkatebob

• menacing presence
does this sort of monitor switch exist?
February 01, 2010, 09:21:38 am
Ok, here is the trouble.  Support at work say it doesn't exist, but I bet it does (though I can't find it).

I have a docking station that has 1 monitor output that then has a splitter that goes to my dual screen set up.

Now I have been told that I have to desk share (when I WFH) with someone that has a different sort of docking station that has dual screen output.

So can you guys save me from killing him when he dismantles my set up, sorts hinself out and then leaves my desk in a mess.

Is there anyway of setting up the 2 docking stations and having a manual switch to choose which is giving the input for the dual monitors (my splitter, or his docking station).

I can get everything else doubled up, but I can't get 4 monitors on the desk, so a switch is the only way I can think of sorting this out.

Please help me. 1001 other things are going badly at the moment and this is turning out to be the straw that will break the camels back :-(

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#1 Re: does this sort of monitor switch exist?
February 01, 2010, 09:26:54 am
Well it sounds like you need a KVM switch. I dont know if anyone makes a double headed one, but I bet google does. Good luck!

nik at work

• forum hero
#2 Re: does this sort of monitor switch exist?
February 01, 2010, 09:32:15 am
Can you not just use a couple of vga switches like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Port-Vga-Monitor-Switch-Xbox/dp/B000J249JC

Have cable 1 from your splitter and cable 1 from his dock going in to one of them and cable 2 from your splitter and cable 2 from his dock going into the other. Obviously you would then have to remember to select the correct input for both switches (i.e. both selecting the feed from your splitter or both selecting the feed from his dock) which might cause a bit of initial confusion.

I dunno if there is a dual switch which could do the job of two switches with just one switch but, unless I've totally misunderstood your problem, I don't see why the above wouldn't work.

P.S. Check this idea with a tech first as I don't KNOW that this will work, I just presume it will...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3 Re: does this sort of monitor switch exist?
February 01, 2010, 09:32:43 am
Ok, here is the trouble.  Support at work say it doesn't exist, but I bet it does (though I can't find it).

I have a docking station that has 1 monitor output that then has a splitter that goes to my dual screen set up.

Now I have been told that I have to desk share (when I WFH) with someone that has a different sort of docking station that has dual screen output.

So can you guys save me from killing him when he dismantles my set up, sorts hinself out and then leaves my desk in a mess.

Surely all he needs to do is take the output cable that is going to your splitter and plug that into one of the two outputs on his docking station?

That way one signal from his laptop gets output to the two screens (just as it would when unpluggs them from the splitter you use and plugs them both straight into the outputs on his station).

Basically there's no reason why he can't use the splitter that you do.

Or maybe I'm missing something  :shrug:

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing

bobkatebob

• menacing presence
#5 Re: does this sort of monitor switch exist?
February 01, 2010, 11:45:31 am
Thanks guys! both optopns look like they could solve the problem. THoguh I like the neater 1 box option, I think it will have to be the 2 boxes as I think I'll end up paying for it.

bkb...

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#6 Re: does this sort of monitor switch exist?
February 01, 2010, 12:00:52 pm
I think I'll end up paying for it.
Gutted, why can't your work pay for it? They are making you desk share, the tight bastards  :)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#7 Re: does this sort of monitor switch exist?
February 01, 2010, 01:10:07 pm
As per above I don't see why the person you're sharing a desk with has to unplug.

On the following schematics I've used  --> <--  to represent a male/female connector. 1/2 represent ports on the respective docks, whilst A/B represent connections to individual monitors.

Correct if wrong but at the moment you have...

--------------------
| Your dock       |---> 1 <---------------------> A <--------- Monitor 1
--------------------             |
                                      ------------------> B <--------- Monitor 2

And this guy is coming in and doing....

--------------------
| His dock          |---> 1 (A) <------------------------------ Monitor 1
-------------------- 
                   |--------> 2 (B) <------------------------------ Monitor 2

So basically he's removing the splitter that you have to use to get the signal going to both monitors ('cause his dock has this built in).

Instead of him doing this I don't see why he can't unplug 1 on your dock and plug it into 1 on his dock and use the splitter that you do to get his output onto two monitors.

Just tell him this (or perhaps ask if it works and if it does ask him to use this method of connecting the dual-head to his dock than his current method of unplugging your splitter).

Certainly a cheaper option the switches!

Although I may have misunderstood something crucial, won't be the first nor last time  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal