UKBouldering.com

Rock Over bouldering centre Manchester (Read 101041 times)

erm, sam

• forum hero
I'll be going for the any-holds-to-the-top tick.

a dense loner

• forum hero
these boards are fantastic. saying that i am mates with the guys that build them, so take that statement with a pinch of salt if u want. however they are fantastic! you do get stronger by using them anyway anyhow. if only 5 people in manc will be able to get to the top so what? people can leave their ego's on the mat n fall off it a lot trying to get to the top. for all the zen fools out there surely its about the journey.
a few friends are disappointed with the depot putting extra holds all over the place so people can use their beastmaker board, the thing is people aren't using the beastmaker board. they said they'd rather it be too elitist than not so they can work towards doing 2 moves in a row on it, and they actually enjoy watching people who do climb on it.
i know walls cater to everybody but there's no point building an elite board then changing it, seems strange.
board in manc looks good, let people dream...  ::)

clm

• forum hero
you have mates? Is the wall built by kettle bells inc., acme flatscreen tellies and bt broadband? You gonna be over here to try it out? Give us a shout if you do. (uncle piggy)

Anyway, steep elitist boards are fine. Why train on brutally steep surfaces on massive holds when there are bugger all places to apply such tecniques in the uk (maybe rubicon, the route). Climb on less steep stuff to build technique, then steely fingers, then transfer it to the steep stuff. Will help avoid being one of those massively bumpy people who are shit.
In short, what dense said. :agree:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 07:21:41 pm by clm »

account_inactive

• forum hero
Dan says hi Lee

a dense loner

• forum hero
didn't think of that clm but will give u shout when over. can we arrange it for 5 tho so u actually turn up on time at 7 :kiss2:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Dan testing the new Beastmaker board

Looks like they forgot to use holds, just small offcuts from a wooden toy factory.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
Dan testing the new Beastmaker board

Looks good, although I'm not sure about the logic of painting/leaving the boards white  :shrug:

It does make spotting the day-glo orange holds on the right a bit easier though...

maybe_si

• player

We left the boards white because we think it look pretty cool and makes the holds easier to see, keeping it simple folks :)

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog

We left the boards white because we think it look pretty cool and makes the holds easier to see, keeping it simple folks :)

And it shows up dirty black boot rubber better easier too  :-\

Wipey Why

• forum hero

Looks good, although I'm not sure about the logic of painting/leaving the boards white  :shrug:

I asked pretty much the same question when I saw it.

a dense loner

• forum hero
oh my fucking god u people  :wall:

Paul B

• forum hero
All boards end up rubber coloured and I'd rather white than a spray painted multi-coloured logo. I find that hard enough and I don't have any eyesight colour issues.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
TBH I doubt there'll be much black rubber above the kick board in any case so there's need to get so aesthetically exercised about it.
PS They told me next year's colours are magnolia with a magenta trim. Happy now?

saltbeef

• forum hero
oh my fucking god u people  :wall:

what lee said. plain and simple. (I'd have preferred plain wood)

Wipey Why

• forum hero
Who is down at the opening comp tomorrow?

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
What is this place like to get to from the north... M60? If for example an weekday evening about 7? Is it chocker?
White boards... nice...

Steamboat Stello

• menacing presence
Would have thought that it would be reasonable okay about 7. Fortunately I work about 20 minutes walk away so I've been waiting for this opening for a long time! Won't be down at the weekend but will be testing it out one evening next week.

Tim Broughtonshaw

• obsessive maniac
I wish they would change the wall name. 

"Where are you climbing tonight? Broughton, MCC, Awesome, boulderuk.... rockover?"

Cheers
Tim

tomtom

• forum hero
I wish they would change the wall name. 

"Where are you climbing tonight? Broughton, MCC, Awesome, boulderuk.... rockover?"

Cheers
Tim

Could be worse.... could have been legover...

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
I'm hoping they will actually have tons of rockover problems... well at least 1..  :lol:

Paul B

• forum hero
what, and Awesome is a good name?

erm, sam

• forum hero
Who is down at the opening comp tomorrow?

I was going to, but with a slightly quirky finger I think it best not to. Have fun if you are going down

Tim Broughtonshaw

• obsessive maniac
what, and Awesome is a good name?
well relative to rockover....yes its infinately better. :)

maybe_si

• player

Massive thanks to everyone who came along yesterday, I think everyone had a great time and it was a brilliant way to open our new centre!

Results will be posted on facebook and our website in a few minutes.

Hope to see you all down here climbing soon :)

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Went here for the first time last night for a short session. I wasn't really on top form but I thought it was good. I like the Beastmaker board. It climbs like the School board rather than the Works board - I think it may be steeper than the works board. It could do with a few more footholds - 3 footholds on the kickboard is a bit restrictive.The holds seem well carved and aren't restrictively small. I was going to train on it every day I think I'd want some smaller holds on it, but I'm not, so I think it's about right.

The campus board looks as though when it was put in it was forgotten that the mats were going to raise the floor hight by a foot or so. Hence it's now very low and pretty much useless. It would be better being bigger and wider. I predict it will get very little use in its current form.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal