UKBouldering.com

Rock Over bouldering centre Manchester (Read 100747 times)

chicane

• player

The guy from Safestore didn't mention any other charges but he called me just as I was about to leave work - I'll confirm a few more details with him.

Eddies

• forum hero
If any of you are close enough to train in Macclesfield PM me, ive got a nice woody there.

account_inactive

• forum hero
300sq feet is not very big

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
it seems a bit daft to me. £34 a month is a lot of money assuming you get 15 people willing to pay it and then you've got to buy all the wood/fixings and holds etc...
I've got a woody in my garage I go through fazes of using which is good enough for me and if anyone live over east manchester and wants to get involved in some sessions then drop me a line. I could do with getting some psych back.

Like I said earlier broughton is changing and you can certainly have some input into what gets built/what holds go on/ setting some problems by way of contributing a little time or money into building/helping out or setting. you can get a monthly pass for £25 and there is a EXTREME weights gym next door that I believe you can use for just a little bit more ontop of the climbing fee. Also it not too far from trafford park

tomtom

• forum hero
Its an interesting idea, and i think it would run if there were no facilities in Manchester.... 300 sq ft's about the size of a double garage I think - and 25ft high would be just fine!

But, there are other places to climb in Manc... In winter it'd pay for itself (cost = 4.5 visits to stockport wall a month) but in summer - I'd never use it...

Still its a great idea for anyone living a long distance from a climbing wall to try...

Good effort on getting the quote Chicane...

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
No - that's what I thought, approx 3m x 9m (10ft x 30ft) - maybe one side/board. And do you need it 8 metres high?

Personally I think it makes sense to wait until this new place opens in MCR centre - it could be feckin amazin  :whistle:

If it does turn out to be shiter than shite, then like Jim says - it would be much easier to put time and effort and a bit of cash into Broughton. It's already a venue, but sounds like it just needs a bit of tlc and elbow grease to make it shit hot.

robertostallioni

• forum hero

chicane

• player

I'd be happy to contribute to something towards Broughton.

I was just keen to see what the costs were but like others have said having thought about it 300sq ft isn't very big.

account_inactive

• forum hero
No - that's what I thought, approx 3m x 9m (10ft x 30ft) - maybe one side/board. And do you need it 8 metres high?

Personally I think it makes sense to wait until this new place opens in MCR centre - it could be feckin amazin  :whistle:

If it does turn out to be shiter than shite, then like Jim says - it would be much easier to put time and effort and a bit of cash into Broughton. It's already a venue, but sounds like it just needs a bit of tlc and elbow grease to make it shit hot.

Thanks for the maths lesson.  That's a small size for people to pay £34 per month plus the rates plus the board.  My workshop was around 1000 sq feet and about £350 p/m.  That would be a minimum size I would have thought.  How many people can you get in a 300 sq feet space? Not many

clm

• forum hero
as jim says broughton is the closest thing to a 'school room' manchester currently has.
despite mcc and awesome opening up, broughton still gets passing trade.
its got its pro's (cheap) and cons (can be freezing cold)
if you want something like the school room this is the closest and best option. established wall with 1000plus problem database its cleaned regularly and secure carpark at night. no liabilty concerns etc as its run by salford council.
only problem is will they ever knock it down? it'll a sad day if/when it happens.

yes the boulder is finally being moved out of the way, i havent set on it for ages cos i cant be arsed and felt at times it wasnt really appreciated. maybe when its finally up against the wall and proper matting, we can repaint it a prime colour at least. stick all the holds on and they can stay on so we can make up new problems that incorporate slopers as well as crimps.

we currently have a fender fingerboard, but hopefully getting my hands on a resin one off jamie cassidy and also may get one of them modern wooden cnc fingerboards they all keep going on abt

another potential project for the wall is take down the defunct systems board (council says we cant use it as its a danger to move up and down all the time) and replaced with a new combo of a roof (akin to demon wall) and 45º board that can be a static systems board.

fundraising schemes are being schemed

ste li

Im assuming that 'cons' is an abbreviation of conditions.

Wipey Why

• forum hero
Has anyone had any news on location yet?

Searches on Counci's website dont show any new applications for a Change of Use. Seems more than likely this is something they will need to do sooner or later.

clm

• forum hero
Has anyone had any news on location yet?

Searches on Counci's website dont show any new applications for a Change of Use. Seems more than likely this is something they will need to do sooner or later.

Not looking in the right council imo. It will be in salford if its across the irwell. Ive heard it will be very near strangeways.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks

The Academy in Bristol didn't need change of use so why would this Manc proposal, maybe it's an old cinema or something.

BTW I don't have any inside info apart from its an amazing building.

Wipey Why

• forum hero

The Academy in Bristol didn't need change of use so why would this Manc proposal, maybe it's an old cinema or something.

BTW I don't have any inside info apart from its an amazing building.

You will need a change of use if the buildings previous use was something other than D2 (Assembly & Leisure). I do not know what the Academy was previously but if it wasn't something falling under this use (i.e. cinema, concert hall, sports hall, gym etc..) then they are likely to be operating contrary to planning.  In this case their choice would be to apply for retrospective planning or wait it out until they can apply for a certificate of lawfulness (not recommended).

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
Just in case you missed it. The Academy did not need change of use.

I did not say that The Academy did not get change of use.

The conclusion being that the Academy already had D2.

Wipey Why

• forum hero
That is fair enough. I was simply making the point that it is not that uncommon that buildings are used contrary to planning.

In respect of this new wall I am not aware of any D2 properties that have been available in the market in the location we have been eluded to. 

Wipey Why

• forum hero
There is an article in Crains this week about the new wall. It is on Julia Street, close to Strangeways.

The only thing that has been on the market recently on Julia Street is number 45.  It would appear to fit the bill in terms of size, if they took two floors.

Tom states that the centre is subject to planning, but searches indicate that no applications have been submitted (either that or the Council have chosen not to put it on the website). 

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
There is an article in Crains this week about the new wall. It is on Julia Street, close to Strangeways.

The only thing that has been on the market recently on Julia Street is number 45.  It would appear to fit the bill in terms of size, if they took two floors.

Tom states that the centre is subject to planning, but searches indicate that no applications have been submitted (either that or the Council have chosen not to put it on the website).

maybe there's a basement

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah

Stubbs

Is that Stangeways just across the road? How lovely!

Wipey Why

• forum hero
maybe there's a basement

The marketing particulars say there is a basement and the article states that they intend to construct an underground caving network at Phase 2. So it seems like a possibility.

TomP

• obsessive maniac
    • www.tompeckittclimbing.com

Where about can I find this article? Is it online? Never heard of Crains

TomP

• obsessive maniac
    • www.tompeckittclimbing.com

coolbeans

As far as I am aware, planning applications have to be made accessible to the public...therefore if one exists it should be on the local authority website. Sorry if this has been mentioned already, I didn't read the whole thread...

Wipey Why

• forum hero
Manchester City Council's Public Access page states that 'For reasons of confidentiality, Manchester City Council may choose not to display certain Planning Applications'

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal