UKBouldering.com

Poll

What action could be taken to prevent this problem from being lost beneath the green slime which currently inhabits it......?

Leave as is?
33 (67.3%)
Just Move Death Block?
11 (22.4%)
Move Block & patio area?
5 (10.2%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Voting closed: December 12, 2009, 07:19:30 pm

Careless Youth.... (Read 20793 times)

dave

#25 Re: Careless Youth....
December 07, 2009, 11:27:07 am
Firstly, of course people go looking for dangerous routes and moreover argue to keep them dangerous.

As far as I can see dangerous routes by and large get done despite of the danger not because of it, especially on grit. For example I didn't notice Parthian shot plummet in popularity once it became clear that the flake would hold a fall.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#26 Re: Careless Youth....
December 07, 2009, 11:30:35 am
An evening w/ Ray Kay would be enlightening. 

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#27 Re: Careless Youth....
December 07, 2009, 11:30:52 am
This is a tangent; danger is a part of climbing. On grit we've chosen a purist ethic with regards to gear, despite the attendant increased risk, hence danger is a greater component of the grit experience than on other rocks.

dave

#28 Re: Careless Youth....
December 07, 2009, 11:38:22 am
yes it is a tangent, but my point was that I recon its pretty inaccurate to describe the grit ethic as "pushing the danger factor".

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#29 Re: Careless Youth....
December 07, 2009, 11:46:30 am
Semantics; danger may not be the driving force but refusal to compromise elsewhere makes it a defining component.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#30 Re: Careless Youth....
December 07, 2009, 11:53:43 am

So, alternatively, I will hopefully over the next week, get out midweek armed with a rope, grigri and an assortment of (non wire) brushes etc to give it a little clean and get it in fine fettle for a potential repeat......

Pick a wet day and bring a floor brush and a bucket of water, works a treat. The bucket of water bit is key, otherwise your brush will clog up in seconds and you'll just end up smearing the green around.

dave

#31 Re: Careless Youth....
December 07, 2009, 11:59:55 am
Semantics; danger may not be the driving force but refusal to compromise elsewhere makes it a defining component.

I would say the difference between driving force and component (defining or otherwise) crucially significant. Its not just a choice of words meaning the same thing. Its the difference between "I climb grit because its dangerous" and "I climb grit and yes at times it can be potentially dangerous". Lets not pretend the two are the same.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#32 Re: Careless Youth....
December 07, 2009, 12:03:08 pm
I would consider Bonjoy's comments a reasonable stance.. that way we can consider each on case by case basis, whether it be a block, a tree growing in the way ( another thread of interest such as this in times gone by) or whatever...

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#33 Re: Careless Youth....
December 07, 2009, 12:20:22 pm

I would say the difference between driving force and component (defining or otherwise) crucially significant. Its not just a choice of words meaning the same thing. Its the difference between "I climb grit because its dangerous" and "I climb grit and yes at times it can be potentially dangerous". Lets not pretend the two are the same.
We are  :off: here but as a last comment from me: the fact that it is sometimes dangerous, the fact that when it is it enhances the experience for me that I am handling it in a situation where blowing it would kill me is a part of its attraction for me. Knowingly placing my self in arbitrarily dangerous situations is an important component of climbing for me, and many climbers I know.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 12:30:08 pm by Joepicalli »

Nigel

• forum hero
#34 Re: Careless Youth....
December 07, 2009, 12:20:28 pm
On rational analysis I agree with Adam and Bonjoy so no need to rehash the argument. Also, from a purely personal point of view it seems instinctively wrong at that part of "The Queen Of Grit", whereas it felt instinctively fine at Rivelin Quarry.

I would be keen to try this with enough pads, I think this along with a good team spot/shove off the block is the answer.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#35 Re: Careless Youth....
December 07, 2009, 12:21:12 pm
Its the difference between "I climb grit because its dangerous" and "I climb grit and yes at times it can be potentially dangerous"

The difference is you are talking about yourself; we are talking about the genre. Regardless, as I said, this is a tangent and adding little to the debate.

Landscaping must be symapathetic to the location.

Long term this would be possible for Careless youth, but I don't think enough would be gained to justify the short-term damage.

north_country_boy

• junky
#36 Re: Careless Youth....
December 07, 2009, 12:39:08 pm
On rational analysis I agree with Adam and Bonjoy so no need to rehash the argument. Also, from a purely personal point of view it seems instinctively wrong at that part of "The Queen Of Grit", whereas it felt instinctively fine at Rivelin Quarry.

I think that draws a line under the original point of the thread. The thread was purely aimed at highlighting the issues regarding the moving of one specific block. 

I would be keen to try this with enough pads, I think this along with a good team spot/shove off the block is the answer.

Anyone free later in the week, thursday's forecast looks bon???? I Should be able to gather 6 mats+ and hopefully a few keen individuals...

cofe

• forum hero
#37 Re: Careless Youth....
December 07, 2009, 12:45:38 pm
Anyone free later in the week, thursday's forecast looks bon???? I Should be able to gather 6 mats+ and hopefully a few keen individuals...

i might join you and chuck a pad in, though i doubt i'll try it.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#38 Re: Careless Youth....
December 07, 2009, 01:03:44 pm
My week plans are massively evolving at the moment, but I could be free - cant do wednesday I suppose?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#39 Re: Careless Youth....
December 07, 2009, 01:13:05 pm
I'm free thurs and might be keen.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#40 Re: Careless Youth....
December 07, 2009, 01:21:40 pm
I'm keen. I daresay we could recruit Caff and the lancy one.

north_country_boy

• junky
#41 Re: Careless Youth....
December 07, 2009, 01:46:18 pm
Right. Provisionally, Varian, Caff, JB, Bonjoy, Cofe all keen.....

Nige? Dobbin? possibly?....

Should shape up to be plenty of willing victims and an abundance of foam!  :thumbsup:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#42 Re: Careless Youth....
December 07, 2009, 03:50:03 pm
Judging by the reactions to the original question I think the bouldering community pretty much has the right idea about what falls either side of the notional (random, self justifying) line.
And judging by the discussion and posting of this thread, this representation of the bouldering community is a pretty good place to hammer out the idea sensibly.

I think the general conclusion is "case by case" isn't it...

AndyR

• forum hero
#43 Re: Careless Youth....
December 07, 2009, 04:14:53 pm

You've also ignored the quarried/ natural point. Do you not consider that difference important? For me changing what was left by human hand carries less moral anguish than that left by nature.
Totally off-topic, but haven't large stretches of stanage been quarried previously? I seem to recall that it had one of the longest histories of quarrying, having been done from anglo-saxon times (i.e. 5th Century AD).
Not sure it changes your discussion on this particular problem, but just thought I'd point out your 'natural'/quarried distinction may not be watertight......

dave

#44 Re: Careless Youth....
December 07, 2009, 04:17:25 pm
Only a couple of bits. one where microbe is, the bay right of magnetic north. I'm sure some said marble wall possibly is a very old quarry.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#45 Re: Careless Youth....
December 07, 2009, 04:21:55 pm
but just thought I'd point out your 'natural'/quarried distinction may not be watertight......

Sure, there are shades of grey here as with everything. I'd say the more recent, the more relevant. Bits have been affected by man over the years, but Stanage generally, and certaily the area under discussion, is overwhelmingly natural geomorphology. I think most of the Stanage Millstones were produced from the boulders under the edge.

AndyR

• forum hero
#46 Re: Careless Youth....
December 07, 2009, 04:54:16 pm
but just thought I'd point out your 'natural'/quarried distinction may not be watertight......

Sure, there are shades of grey here as with everything. I'd say the more recent, the more relevant. Bits have been affected by man over the years, but Stanage generally, and certaily the area under discussion, is overwhelmingly natural geomorphology. I think most of the Stanage Millstones were produced from the boulders under the edge.
Fair enough - it's so long since I was there that I can't remember which bits are quarried and which aren't.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#47 Re: Careless Youth....
December 07, 2009, 05:01:04 pm
Right. Provisionally, Varian, Caff, JB, Bonjoy, Cofe all keen.....

Nige? Dobbin? possibly?....

Should shape up to be plenty of willing victims and an abundance of foam!  :thumbsup:

If its Thursday i could call in on my way to Font, and supply some pads. XXL Metolius and a mondo if someone wants to walk one of them up the hill.

clm

• forum hero
#48 Re: Careless Youth....
December 07, 2009, 05:22:31 pm
The landing under TAOWHW sounds like a compromise. ;)

clm

• forum hero
#49 Re: Careless Youth....
December 07, 2009, 05:28:07 pm
If we are only going to use concrete,
Fucking great idea bonjoy but i dont reckon the peak park would allow it. Would cut down on erosion though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal