UKBouldering.com

Single Malt Whisky (Read 142719 times)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#150 Re: Single Malt Whisky
February 15, 2013, 04:53:56 pm
On a similar 'old friends' theme, my stay in Stevenage was much improved by the bottle of Bunnahabein  I took. Not the typical Islay malt - more sea fresh than peat attack but no worse for it. The owners are trying to rebrand it as a more 'craft'  product: raising the abv to 46% and no longer chill filtering  - sees to work as it was more tasty than I remembered.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#151 Re: Single Malt Whisky
February 15, 2013, 05:00:39 pm
is that the 12 year old Bunnahabhain?  I've not had it for years but it was always a reliable tipple.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#152 Re: Single Malt Whisky
February 15, 2013, 05:54:25 pm
Aye, t'was Bun ah 12yo. I only bought it because it was on special at Booths for £25 and was pleasantly surprised. Like a souped up Old Pulteney.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#153 Re: Single Malt Whisky
February 16, 2013, 05:05:50 pm
Never tried any of the Compass Box series, is Spice Tree the best introduction?

It is indeed moose as is a bottle of Great King Street. I can't rave enough about the 100% grain whisky 'Hedonism' though it is marginally more expensive compared to the former.

underground

• forum hero
#154 Re: Single Malt Whisky
February 21, 2013, 09:31:55 pm
I tried a sample of The Spice Tree last night, it was indeed pretty good. I was just tempted by a bottle of Benromach 10 year old from the local bevvy shop... it's great, as per the notes, which is what tempted me in the first place...

SpanishJuan

• obsessive maniac
  • two dumplings short of a stew
  • punter
#155 Re: Single Malt Whisky
February 21, 2013, 10:10:58 pm
The Wine Society does a really nice 20 year single malt, which is 57%vol called Mortlach. It has lovely honeycomb note to it. mmmmmm

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#156 Re: Single Malt Whisky
February 28, 2013, 05:31:00 pm

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#157 Re: Single Malt Whisky
March 27, 2013, 06:52:48 pm
If any of you need an excuse for a dram, today 27 March is World Whisky Day.. now that's one contrived date don't mind celebrating. By a nice coincidence a parcel of goodness was delivered today (I finally got round to counting and cashing a jar of coinage and decided to splurge the proceeds).

Clynelish 14yo
Spring bank 12yo CS
Nikka All Malt
Caol Ila CS
Elijah Craig 12yo bourbon

.... might make it a World Whisky Weekend....

andy_e

• forum hero
#158 Re: Single Malt Whisky
March 27, 2013, 07:47:47 pm
World Whisky Day? If that ain't an excuse for school-night dramming I don't know what is. I'll be tucking into my new bottles of Auchentoshan Classic (cheap dram at £23 from Waitrose but still a nice drink) and Jura 16 Duirach's Own (full of deep flavour but only had the one dram so far so unable to fully rate it until I've had a few more scoops of it...)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#159 Re: Single Malt Whisky
March 27, 2013, 08:13:49 pm
 That's the spirit, I'm hoping that International Curd Tart Day (or Fat Rascal Friday perhaps) will be announced soon. Might just give me the mojo to survive until the weather warms up.  Btw have you tried the Auchen'n Valinch?  Really nice - even to a lover of sherry bombs and peat monsters like myself. Good value too for a cask strength, like a cheaper version of the Glenlivet Nadurra:

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/auchentoshan/auchentoshan-valinch-2012-2nd-release-whisky/

Monolith

• forum hero
#160 Re: Single Malt Whisky
March 27, 2013, 09:18:47 pm
I've celebrated by spending the morning twisting the arm of one of Chivas' inventory managers and their master blender to let me into their grain whisky supply chain. Hopefully some small batch blend releases to come in time!

As an aside, what would folk consider the upper ceiling of their price point for a limited release blend if the tasting notes and bottling/packaging were to appeal?

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#161 Re: Single Malt Whisky
March 27, 2013, 09:41:51 pm
My maximum spend for a "heritage" blend  would be the same as for a single malt: around £65. And, for that, I'd expect it to be at a higher than standard strength (at least 46% say). Basically,  at that price it would have to compete with Ardbeg Uigeadail or HP18 in my personal value scale. I guess I am not the target market for these things. I suspect most bottles of premium blends (Johnnie Walker Blue etc) are bought by high rollers who are spending to impress, perhaps needing a gift whilst passing through duty free.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 09:47:07 pm by moose »

Monolith

• forum hero
#162 Re: Single Malt Whisky
March 27, 2013, 09:53:00 pm
There does seem to be a tight window from the vast majority of people I've spoken to about this (£40-£70). The 'heritage' or 'boutique' market is pretty wide open at the moment it seems to me although a large part of that undoubtedly stems from the difficulty in accessing grain whisky supply chains. The demand, I'm told, far outstrips supply and as a result some lofty brokerage prices exist. Still, persistence and some brown nosing can go a long way it might appear!

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#163 Re: Single Malt Whisky
April 09, 2013, 09:37:14 pm
Just a quick one. Got.hold of a bottle of Oak Cross by Compass Box today. Was really impressed, its got so much going on. Not much like anything I've tried before. Worth shelling out for...

Monolith

• forum hero
#164 Re: Single Malt Whisky
April 30, 2013, 05:51:45 pm
Glad to hear you got involved shurt - a fine choice.

The ferry ticket for the Islay festival at the end of the month has just been booked. Five days of every distillery, I cannot wait!  :dance1:

fried

• forum hero
#165 Re: Single Malt Whisky
April 30, 2013, 06:13:05 pm
Fantastic! Even if I don't comment on this thread I'm an avid reader of the reviews, so keep up the good work.

Islay whisky is my personal favourite but I'm still thinking about having a go at the compass box blended whiskies when I get the chance.

Monolith

• forum hero
#166 Re: Single Malt Whisky
May 03, 2013, 11:46:42 pm
I'm absolutely delighted to have an invite to finally meet with Compass Box founder John Glaser in London next week. I look forward to hearing news of new releases so stay tuned fried!

andy_e

• forum hero
#167 Re: Single Malt Whisky
May 22, 2013, 09:44:16 am
Anybody seen any good reductions of late? I'm looking to spend up to £40-45 on something a little more special than the usual. Also, anybody know where to get some cheap Glencairn-style glasses?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#168 Re: Single Malt Whisky
May 22, 2013, 10:13:37 am
Can tell you are in full time employment now!

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#169 Re: Single Malt Whisky
May 22, 2013, 10:55:00 am
Laphroaig hits 200 years old in 2015!  Just mentioned to my dad that we should head over to Islay sometime that year for a wee tour/celebration/dram bashing  :alky:

Might see some of you there?!?

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#170 Re: Single Malt Whisky
May 22, 2013, 11:12:27 am
Master of Malt do them for a fiver:

http://www.masterofmalt.com/glassware/

So, when P&P is accounted for, it is only worth it if you are putting in an order for a few bottles.  Go on, you know you want to - I highly recommend the Springbank Cask Strength, Compass Box Spice Tree, maybe the new Port Charlotte or Kilchoman Machir Bay if you want peat.  Not on offer, but all pretty good value.

Or, less fun, this place does sets of six for £23

http://www.wineware.co.uk/glassware/spirit-whisky-glasses/whisky-glasses/

andy_e

• forum hero
#171 Re: Single Malt Whisky
May 22, 2013, 08:29:53 pm
Might go for a Port Charlotte. Ever had an Ileach Moose/Monolith?

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#172 Re: Single Malt Whisky
May 22, 2013, 09:12:02 pm
This Ileach?

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/the-ileach-peaty-whisky/?affiliate=whiskymarketplace

Never had it, rumoured to be a young Lagavulin so unlikely to be nasty, though I prefer to know what I am drinking (it's the puerile ticker in me). 

Re Port Charlotte, I've only had the An Turas Mor - absolutely brilliant - young and dirty oils and peat.  Unfortunately, it's been discontinued, though if the successor, "Peat Project" is anything like it, it'd be money well spent.  The Kilchoman Machir Bay is another very good young Islay - sweeter and more salty fresh than the An Turas Mor or the likes of Laphroaig or Lagavulin.

This site is pretty good for getting an idea of what something tastes like (although, some of the contributors either have mass spectrometers up their noses, or are just making it up):

http://www.connosr.com/

andy_e

• forum hero
#173 Re: Single Malt Whisky
May 22, 2013, 09:19:57 pm
I was thinking this one... 97%?!

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#174 Re: Single Malt Whisky
May 22, 2013, 10:47:26 pm
I'd take Jim Murray's ratings with a pinch of salt, there are "rumours" about how objective he is.  Besides, even if he is truly disinterested, his sense of taste is definitely different to mine, and to most people's I know: Jameson's - 95%, Grant's - 94%, Bell's - 91%.  Yet the fantastic Glenfarclas 15yo, Port Charlotte ATM, Old Pulteney 12yo all get 85% (which is pretty much the bottom end of his ratings).

By the way, if you want something truly special:

http://www.connosr.com/whisky/islay/ardbeg/ardbeg-uigeadail/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal