UKBouldering.com

Peak Cavern Gorge (Read 1630 times)

SamT

• forum hero
Peak Cavern Gorge
October 31, 2009, 03:36:40 pm

Anyone know owt about the line of new spanky bolts up the left hand side of the massive roof/wall above the entrance to Peak Cavern in Castleton.

I could see 3 belay chains (see photo below)

Guys in the kiosk told me it was done this year by Dave Williams (not a name I've heard of), and that it was all aid (the bolts did look rather close together).

Would be a phenomenal looking line if it was freed.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: Peak Cavern Gorge
October 31, 2009, 06:46:15 pm
It doesn't sound like there's much more to know than that. Except that is access allowed here?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2 Re: Peak Cavern Gorge
October 31, 2009, 06:51:03 pm
Are you sure they were recent? The roof was aided on bolts a while back as a bit of a stunt, the place would potentially be a decent sport venue.

Open access is unlikely given the current use of the cave though.

SamT

• forum hero
#3 Re: Peak Cavern Gorge
October 31, 2009, 07:16:37 pm

Well - I remember the 'stunt' - Ian Write/Rob Harrison, bbc film crew, sponsored by troll, longest line of continuous bolts blah blah...

but these are deffo shiny new bolts with hangers and proper lower off chains. the lad in the kiosk said it was done earlier this year.

Not sure about access - the worry has always been dropping rocks on the tourists below which is a fair point, as its all pretty loose apparently.

However, this is mostly over to the left and away from the footpath so not sure. Just seems to me like an awful amount of effort and expense for no real reason, other than to repeat something that was done before.... unless that is, they've got some sort of access agreement, and you can pop along and try and free it.  :shrug:

Maybe I'll have a word again next time I'm up there.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal