UKBouldering.com

Awesome Walls - New bouldering centre in Stoke....... (Read 10174 times)

chicane

• player
More details here ----> http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=377183

Talk of a dedicated bouldering centre

Good news for Stoke if it goes ahead

Matt

chummer

• forum abuser
Lets hope for their sake that the bouldering will be better than in the Awesome walls in Liverpool..

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
That's not difficult, although the new 45 and regulation campus board should improve things somewhat  :thumbsup:

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
On the subject of the new 45 and campus board set up, I heard a report over the weekend of Dave turning up with a pot of paint and a brush and proceeding to paint the woody! I was informed by several people that this wouldn't be happening and was, needless to say, rather upset. Painting the last woody completely ruined it...  :shrug:

I am however excited at the prospect of a V12 shop where the old woody used to be. And the new campus board is mint.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack...

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
Don't say he painted the campus board as well  :spank:  :o

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Ha! It wouldn't surprise me!

Dave D

• player
Hi Folks

Cheers to Chicane for bringing up the new Stoke Wall :thumbsup:.

In reply to your posts-

Chummer, thanks for the comment, we're all entitled to our own opinion :-\.

Andy F, I think AW has served you well over the years :bow:.

Fatneck, Come on, you know I don't work w'ends ;)!!! The wall is getting a colour stain on it but not thick paint.

Andy F, Please call me Dave and the campus board hasn't been painted or stained ;D.

Fatneck, It wouldn't surprise me either  :devangel:!!!

Cheers all

Dave D :wall:

'Let the trundelling begin!'

JohnM

• junky
So what are the new bouldering developments at Liverpool?  It is a shame Liverpool hasn't got a decent bouldering facility.  I drive for an hour to use BoulderUK and the Awesome Walls in Stockport just get a decent session.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
Hi Folks

Andy F, I think AW has served you well over the years :bow:.

Andy F, Please call me Dave and the campus board hasn't been painted or stained ;D.

Dave, glad to see that bouldering is now at the forefront of your thinking. The new board looks qwality, well done on listening to the needs of your clientelle and acting on it. Now can we have a system board as well as the 45  :please:

chummer

• forum abuser
Lets hope for their sake that the bouldering will be better than in the Awesome walls in Liverpool..
Chummer, thanks for the comment, we're all entitled to our own opinion
It is a shame Liverpool hasn't got a decent bouldering facility.  I drive for an hour to use BoulderUK and the Awesome Walls in Stockport just get a decent session.
:whistle:

I'll stop stirrin now..

JohnM

• junky
Its not really an opinion its a fact!  By todays standards as a bouldering facility it is terrible.

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
Its not really an opinion its a fact!  By todays standards as a bouldering facility it is terrible.

It's not a dedicated bouldering facility so you can't really compare it to the works/buk/depot etc. Could use some different holds/more setters to keep things fresher. The woody will be good, still can't beleive it was painted though   :wall::

Dave D

• player
The painted woody is now open.
Hope this redeems our terrible centre slightly!!!

Dave D

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
A pic of the Awesome walls in stoke, looking good

tomtom

• forum hero
According to the 'other channel' this opened yesterday... anyone been?

chicane

• player

yes it's very impressive - roof is amazing....great training area.

tomtom

• forum hero

yes it's very impressive - roof is amazing....great training area.

How many problems for each circuit? How are the problems? How does it compare to other walls (works/depot etc..)?

JohnM

• junky
I went today and was very impressed.  The main bouldering area downstairs has about 10 problems per circuit in 2 V grade bands.  Most of the climbing is on walls that are vertical or just off vertical in either direction and the problems tend to be quite technical with small footholds and quite a few small crimps.  The training area upstairs is excellent with a moon board, various campus boards and finger boards and a systems style board.  The overhanging cave area is quite epic and looks good for power stamina training.  The only negative from me is having heater lamps blasting down on bouldering walls at the front so that boning down on small crimps becomes hard and painful!

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
i went yesterday and thought it was good but it could do with steep training board. I thought the harder problems all came down horrible little crimps, it could do with some hard sloper problems as there is only 2 in the current crop. But on the whole a good start.

JohnM

• junky
Is the moon board not a steep training board?  To get proper use out of the moon board someone needs to print out the problems off his website for the current set up and also the blank problem sheets and put them in a folder next to the board so people can add their own problems.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
i went yesterday and thought it was good but it could do with steep training board. I thought the harder problems all came down horrible little crimps, it could do with some hard sloper problems as there is only 2 in the current crop. But on the whole a good start.

Ye, but is it better than the Church? ;)

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
Blasphemy, and clearly untrue. There is far to much fun to be had at AW for it to do you any good ::).

MrTickle

Like it says on my Awesome Walls T-shirt - "Awesome By Name - Awesome By Nature"

Good Job!!!

matthew

• menacing presence
I've heard good reports of the place. It's enough to make me regret leaving Stoke for Toontown. Actually, no it isn't. In fact there is nothing which could make me regret leaving Stoke, but like I say I hear good things about the new wall. Shame it's in stoke really.

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
Actually, no it isn't. In fact there is nothing which could make me regret leaving Stoke

I'll second that statement - nice to hear that there's something to keep the sanity those left behind now though

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal