UKBouldering.com

The Modern Warfare 2 thread (Read 60946 times)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#75 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
November 24, 2009, 05:19:01 pm
that quarry is a bloody mystery to me.

the airport is good.

the fields / trenches are rather shite. there again i have yet to fire a sniper rifle in anger.. loads of snipers standing around getting knifed though ;)

one level i've only played once ( no choice on ps3), which was well odd, one of the building levels..

the snow one is ace, esp with a gun turret at the logcabin  ;D

oh, and i'm getting a bit pissed at the chickens

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#76 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
November 24, 2009, 10:33:35 pm

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#77 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
November 26, 2009, 07:48:36 pm
Cold-Blooded | Cold-Blooded Pro
Cold-Blooded Perk Ability: Undetectable by UAV, air support, Sentry Guns, and thermal.

Pro Ability: No red crosshair or name shown when you are targeted.

It's essential in my opinion, along with Ninja (though I'm not a high enough level for Last Stand (~38)

I'm now running Marathon (nearly got pro), Cold Blooded Pro & Ninja Pro - works well; fast, silent movement that's hard to detect.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#78 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
November 26, 2009, 08:49:31 pm

I'm now running Marathon (nearly got pro), Cold Blooded Pro & Ninja Pro - works well; fast, silent movement that's hard to detect.

Mate, I'm afraid to say that you have none of those attributes  ;)

What KDR are you up to now?  I have a miserley 0.76 but it'll improve now I have cold blood.  And it's better than FD which, as I said before, is really the main issue.   ;) ;)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#79 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
November 26, 2009, 09:32:48 pm
Currently level 44 & KDR 1.13.

Not great but I play quite cautiously - once i've learned the maps properly I'll get more kills.  I'm also playing mercenary deathmatch on my own most of the time with no mic. With a team + comms things would be way easier but not got many ppl to play with on xbl atm due to work hours.

I can see callouts being problematic on these maps due to complexity but I've just found this rather good link :)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 09:45:05 pm by Bubba »

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#80 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
November 26, 2009, 11:12:16 pm
this is the issue..

TBH until i prestige i dont give a fuck on my ratio.

I want mass weapon upgrades /  bonuses...

so, my ratio will suffer..

if i wanted pure ratio comparisions I'd get a 360 and go Halo

* I believe this is yours sir*

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#81 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
November 27, 2009, 07:52:44 am
Eh?

If you play for KDR >1 then you'll get Prestige a lot quicker because you'll win more games and get more XP thus also getting upgrades faster. As has been said, KDR is the critical factor in all slayer/deathmatch/etc style games whether they are on the PC, 360 or PS3.

Halo doesn't even show KDR - you have to use external websites to get those sorts of stats. I don't look at mine as I know it's always >1; it's just the way I play - I nearly always get more kills than deaths.

Ratio isn't about bragging rights - so long as it's >1 that's all that really matters as it means you are contributing to the team. If it's <1 then you're dead weight and any wins your team has will be because other team members carried you.

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#82 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
November 27, 2009, 10:09:45 am
I see what Fatdoc is saying, some guns are terrible and it's hard to keep a good KDR when you're trying to level them but it's still a quicker way to get xp than sticking to a gun you like and trying to grind a good ratio.

KDR is totally irrelevant in game modes like Headquarters Pro, where you can die as many times as you like before the HQ is active, and risking a bad KDR rushing the HQ to get it online is the best way to win.

The hitboxes/lag on the PC are rediculous, it's a total lottery getting onto a decent server, so many times I had 2 bursts from the M16 into a headshot or chest and they haven't died.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#83 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
November 27, 2009, 10:30:44 am
Yeah, at the beginning the weapons challenges do offer good XP but it doesn't take long to get to decent weapons you want to stick to anyway.

I don't obsess about KDR and you can't win every game but it's good to keep it as high as you can imo. As much as anything, less time spent dead/respawning equals more time fighting. Also, you're never going to get good killstreaks if you keep dying.

I've only really played deathmatch/ffa - should have a go at some of the other modes really.

I've been pretty impressed by the network on XBL - the majority of games are lag-free now, especially since I moved ISP to one that doesn't traffic shape gaming.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#84 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
November 27, 2009, 10:31:14 am
tbh I think both Bubba and FD are correct to a point.  KDR > 1 is ultimately the way to go otherwise you are just a burden on the team and you get less xp if you don't win the matches.  However some weapons are rubbish and if you try to get xp by levelling the weapons then you'll probably have a KDR<1 with those weapons.  Are they therefore worth using to get the xp?  Not in my opinion.  I'd rather stick with decent weapons, have a KDR>1 and get xp from kills and being on the winning team. 

In COD4, and inspired by FBSF, once at Prestige for the third or so time I tried to level all weapons to max.  That meant that all the weapons I didn't like using were the ones I was then playing with.  As a result my KDR plummetted (sp?).

I guess it's a matter of playing style.

Had a brilliant spawning moment last night in hardcore deathmatch in Estate.  I killed enemy in one of the house bathrooms, turned round, took one step forward in crouched, he spawned behind me stood on top of the toilet and obviously killed me!  The spawning really is rubbish.  Surely it shouldn't be too hard to ensure anyone spawns a minimum distance from an enemy and especially not spawning out of a toilet!!  He must have felt like a right shit for that kill.  My comment went along the lines of "you spawny bastard".

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#85 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
November 27, 2009, 10:41:28 am
You guys need to try , seriously. I can't believe there's this much gaming energy around and it's not being expended shooting thousands of zombies with some mates  :'(

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#86 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
November 27, 2009, 11:26:55 am
http://uk.media.xbox360.ign.com/media/142/14281102/vids_1.html

link to all the maps for MW2, showing you all the hidden places

Strife

• regular
#87 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
November 27, 2009, 02:13:31 pm
KDR isn't everything, it's only beneficial in team deathmatch and free for all. I'm lvl 50 atm, slowly working my way through all the perk and gun challanges ( I don't understand how people are already on the 3rd or 4th prestige). Using a riot shield combined with a throwing knife is a guaranteed way of pissing off the enemy team.

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#88 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
November 27, 2009, 02:30:30 pm
What happens when you get on a prestige? Your level resets to 1 and you go to 70, then the second prestige?

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#89 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
November 27, 2009, 03:08:21 pm
same, same, but with more Prestige  ;D

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#90 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
November 27, 2009, 06:51:46 pm

The Prestige thing is a bit lame really if all you do is go round again.

It's a deficiency of the level system. Because it's XP based your level doesn't really relate to any ability/skill. Even a shit player will level up eventually just by playing the game. 

Just got level 50 fwiw.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#91 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
November 28, 2009, 05:23:29 pm

I have to say, some of the Spec Ops missions are fucking nails solo.

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
#92 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
November 29, 2009, 11:19:55 am
Sorry, but this looks much better than all this Modern warfare crap...

...sorry, couldn't resist!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#93 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
November 29, 2009, 07:17:03 pm
What's your favourite class build? The one you play most? And why the choice? Mine is:

Primary:  M16A4 + Red Dot Sight
- M16 seems the best allround AR (makes nonsense of the later AR unlocks) and prefer the reddot to the holographic. Also the way it fires in bursts reminds me of Halo 3's Battle Rifle.

Secondary:  Stinger
- only launcher with 2 rounds and makes sense to carry a launcher with my perks.

Equipment:  Semtex
- prefer to frags, more predictable placement.

Special Grenade:  Stun
- smoke is for those with thermal sights and flash doesn't slow movement so the enemy can still get a lucky kill in by spraying.

Perk 1:  Marathon Pro
- fast!.

Perk 2:  Cold Blooded Pro
- hard to see.

Perk 3:  Ninja Pro
- hard to hear.

This combo of Perks mean aircraft mostly ignore you and is good for catching out campers. Suits my stealthy playing style.

Death Streak:  Martyrdom (all the death streaks are pretty lame, but i've had a few kills from this one).

« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 07:54:50 pm by Bubba »

Strife

• regular
#94 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
November 29, 2009, 07:46:14 pm
What's your favourite class build? The one you play most? And why the choice?

Primary:  Vector with Rapid Fire
- Fun to use and brilliant at close range

Secondary:  .44 Magnum
- Powerful and great with Last Stand

Equipment:  C4
- Fun to use and useful on Domination or Demolition

Perk 1:  Scavenger Pro
- Means that I rarely run out of ammo or equipment

Perk 2:  Stopping Power Pro
- Extra damage is always good.

Perk 3:  Last Stand Pro
- Often very effective and annoys the enemy.

Death Streak:  Martyrdom

I use this setup for close/medium range. For long range it's usually the FAL, M16 (overpowered like in COD4), or the M21 EBR thermal.

Killstreak rewards:
Usually, predator missile, Harriers, and AC130. I do vary them quite a lot though cos I'm trying to get all the killstreak challenges.

Lvl 57 now! I am wasting far too much time on this game.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#95 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
November 29, 2009, 08:54:53 pm
What's your favourite class build? The one you play most? And why the choice? Mine is:

Primary:  M16A4 + Red Dot Sight
- M16 seems the best allround AR (makes nonsense of the later AR unlocks) and prefer the reddot to the holographic. Also the way it fires in bursts reminds me of Halo 3's Battle Rifle.

Secondary:  Stinger
- only launcher with 2 rounds and makes sense to carry a launcher with my perks.

Equipment:  Semtex
- prefer to frags, more predictable placement.

- smoke is for those with thermal sights and flash doesn't slow movement so the enemy can still get a lucky kill in by spraying.

Perk 1:  Marathon Pro
- fast!.

Perk 2:  Cold Blooded Pro
- hard to see.

Perk 3:  Ninja Pro
- hard to hear.

This combo of Perks mean aircraft mostly ignore you and is good for catching out campers. Suits my stealthy playing style.

Death Streak:  Martyrdom (all the death streaks are pretty lame, but i've had a few kills from this one).
once iget here that's a near identical load for me... my AS choice being more auto...

damn, i need to get there... the arcade nature has wound me up. i aint never gonna prestige to go through this shite again

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#96 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
November 29, 2009, 09:34:44 pm
I can't believe there's this much gaming energy around and it's not being expended shooting thousands of zombies with some mates  :'(

I got into the first one and loved it but the 2nd didn't get a cert here (we have no R18 rating for games - how retarded).

Valve (in attempt to get it rapidly certed) utterly botched the censored version to a ridiculous extent. Now the gore has been nerfed so badly its almost a PG.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#97 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
November 30, 2009, 12:40:07 pm
I reckon the whole thing needs renaming Modern Welfare.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#98 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
November 30, 2009, 01:02:51 pm
I can't believe they kept in the Martydom perk. It is the worst thing about MW (along with the grenade launcher). It just defies gameplay, why should dying ever act as a benefit? Running into martyr explosions from people you haven't even killed or knifing someone in a confined space meaning you can't run away in time are both incredibly annoying and unfair.

All those using it can hang their heads in shame.

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#99 Re: The Modern Warfare 2 thread
November 30, 2009, 01:04:24 pm
I was just having a bit of fun over the weekend and had the vector with lightweight and marathon pro and rapid fire. My word does that annoy people! You're like roadrunner but with guns.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal