UKBouldering.com

Firefox at NHS (Read 2334 times)

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
Firefox at NHS
October 06, 2009, 08:34:32 am
I'm working at the NHS and want to use Zotero to access my citations and so need to run firefox. I've got firefox portable on my USB but Webmarshall is not playing ball and won't allow me to connect  :wall:. Does anyone know of a way of getting firefox to work or am I doomed to use IE 6 for the rest of my career?!

Any help very much appreciated

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Firefox at NHS
October 06, 2009, 08:57:25 am
Befriend your local IT expert and get them to give you Admin rights on your computer.

Not come across webmarshall, is it some sort of firewall/pop-up/adware blocker software ?

Probably the easiest option if you've got Firefox on USB (presumably using Portable Apps?) would be to take the USB disc to a computer where there are no restrictions (e.g. home) install there, then take the USB drive back to work the next day with Zotero installed.

P.S. - Clicky links to pages about software that people may not know about is useful/appreciated  ;)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2 Re: Firefox at NHS
October 06, 2009, 09:04:23 am
Oh, and looks like a nice app, especially as it appears to support BiBTeX.

Have you come across CiteULike?  I've been using it for years and find it quite handy, integrates well with PubMed and most online journals so you simply click on the toolbar button and it takes you to your page where you add it to your database with appropriate tags etc. etc.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#3 Re: Firefox at NHS
October 06, 2009, 09:28:16 am
Webmarshal is a content filter, but not a very good one.  We use it here but I can use Firefox no problem. 

It could something to do with proxy settings on the client.  There's probably a group policy that applies settings to IE but they would need manually adding to firefox.  What error message are you getting?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: Firefox at NHS
October 08, 2009, 12:33:40 pm
Have any of these options worked Clart?

Another alternative is to install FoxyProxy and use it when doing all your browsing (not a bad idea in general) and you should then be able to access absolutely any site you want.

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
#5 Re: Firefox at NHS
October 10, 2009, 11:03:52 am
Thanks for the advice all. I managed to track down an understanding IT bod who installed firefox on my PC. Will defo check out that foxyproxy and see if that will enable my portable firefox to work.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 Re: Firefox at NHS
October 10, 2009, 12:48:24 pm
Thanks for the advice all. I managed to track down an understanding IT bod who installed firefox on my PC.
A refreshing change :) Any good IT guy who encounters a user who would rather choose FF over IE should jump at the chance imo.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal