UKBouldering.com

WARNING! Mecca awaiting repair..... (Read 24675 times)

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber

Andy Harris

• obsessive maniac
Now that’s a big job to repair something so big & complicated, I hope the skills are up to it. Sounds like we need to get together a few more of the most experienced sikas in the business. Personally I’d like to see:
Keith
Zippy
John Hart
And John W to make sure the resultant mess doesn’t look as bad some of the aforementioned’s sikatrocities.

If these boys can’t fix it no one can! Remember though that Tom Proctor employed a scaffolding pole and araldite to glue in the large Tom’s roof flake with the good crimp on it. Mecca just needs a bigger pole.

If it’s irreparable I’m sure Ste Mac will reclimb all his variants in a session at a couple of grades harder than the originals so all will not be lost if you climb 8c+ or harder. However this could signal retirement time for Keith & Paul so I’m sure they’ll pull out all the stops.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Making a nice job of sika is easy. You just need a disposable brush. Step 1: apply sika generously, and stick all the bits back together.
Step 2: the boring/creative bit. Wait till the sika has virtually set, but is still malleable, then use the brush to brush off the excess, and blend into the rock. Step 3, leave to fully set.

This gets rid of the pallet knife marks and general messy bodgyness that comes from trying to mold sticky stuff with the consistency of wet mortar.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Now that’s a big job to repair something so big & complicated, I hope the skills are up to it. Sounds like we need to get together a few more of the most experienced sikas in the business. Personally I’d like to see:

simes

• stalker
    • http://www.simes303.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index.htm
Can anyone tell me about sika?

More precisely, is it available in small amounts or does it have to be in bulk? Also, the sika website lists a lot of different products. Which is the one that has been used for rock repair and / or sticking to walls? And lastly, can I buy some in Sheffield?

Its not for use on real rock.

Cheers, Si.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 11:49:46 am by simes »

account_inactive

• forum hero
Cheapest place to buy is probably on ebay and you can normally get it by the tube.

If you are looking to bond holds to another type of wall it depends on the surface (and holds) to what would be the best stuff to use. Epoxy may well be your friend

corniceman

• regular
I was out there last night. the blocks have now been removed and lying on ground at base of route. The main block is massive and looks really hard to stick back on given the surface of the remaining rock. In addition are many other smaller bits and potentially we have the worlds most complex jigsaw puzzle on our hands. In hindsight (a wonderful thing) I do wonder if the blocks should have remained and the repairing solution to be insitu, ie to stabalise as best the area. I'd have thought it would have been safer to drill some metal reinforment holes right through the blocks and into the backing rock than it is now and would have led to less disruption. I am also concerned about the potential for any body to have ago, and I would advocate rather like Andy Harris that the job be picked up and co-ordinated by an experienced few. Looking at it I am sure mecca is not lost, it looks climable without the blocks but way harder of course. I hope though that a repair is attempted before we just declare it a new open project although I am sure some would advocate that direction of travel.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Quote from: steve mcclure on Cocktalk
The block is off. I took it off yesterday before it fell off. It took almost no effort and was caught and lowered in a cunningly made net. It now sits at the bottom of the crag ready for its future, which may be back at the start of the route, or more likely thrown into the nettles!

There are 2 large bits, and a lot of little ones. Sticking back on the jumble of pieces will be a jigsaw beyond most peoples ability. Gluing the block on before taking it off was not an option due to the amount of mud around the crack and smaller bits in between the big pieces. I don't think a satisfactory bond would have been made, especially considering the size.

It's beyond my ability to fix it, but the bits are there for someone to try if they wish. I am certain it can be climbed without, but needs a while for the scar to dry (very wet brown mud behind the block). There are good solid holds left. Though I have not done the new section I think it looks to be slightly harder, but possibly without changing the grade. Certainly won't go up to above F8c.

ste mcclure

cofe

• forum hero

dave

if the remaining rock is stable and it doesn't turn it into a crap 9a+ then there'd certainly be a case for leaving it as it is. i can't imagine those first few moves with the blocks in being a major contributor to the character of the route (this from someone who's never been on it).

T_B

• forum hero
I don't remember anyone gluing the Chimes block back on. Is it not now considered a (regional) classic 8a+?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
I tend to agree that it's a more elegant solution to climb what's left rather than embark on a difficult and messy repair. That said I don't mind much either way and think the decision is one to be made by those most affected, i.e. people trying it now or wanting to get on it in future.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
For one, I don't mind if it gets a bit harder, but I'm more concerned by whether it's any good in it's current state. My vote would be to leave it for a little while, and if the new climbing turns out to be shite, attempt a repair.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
That sounds like the most sensible option.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
I've not seen the damage, but given that some quite big bits have dropped off I would recommend that no-one tries to fix it. Given the wet rock behind  the section that has come off, any gluing activity will probably not work as a long term solution and the glued on bits will just come off again. Also given that its a big block thats come off, if you wanted to reattach it you would really have to bolt and glue it back on which is a big and pretty complicated job if it isn't going to look horrible.

Its not really like gluing the sidepull back on Superman (its off again, by the way) or sticking the jug back on the top of the Ace - its a big area of unstable rock at the bottom of a route, and trying to fix it with a pot of glue and some threaded bar is both unlikely to work and a massive load of work.

Its a damn shame that its Mecca thats falling to bits , but British limestone is not the most solid of rocks and bits regularly drop off. I think we should just let it be and try and reclimb it in its new state once its dried out again. If its harder than before, well, thats just the way it is. Or I could just rebuild the original start with some nice flourescent pink bolt-ons and then its sorted......

Shy Yorkshireman

• regular
    • climblox
I think we should just let it be and try and reclimb it in its new state once its dried out again. If its harder than before, well, thats just the way it is.

Well said Percy I'm sure you'll be down there real soon, I mean your hardly away from the place. real shame all the time you've put into working it. 8b+ 8c, I guess it all the same to you anyway.

Pink jugs though now there's a thought. red tube. Just one thing if anyone has bought some sika and some threaded bar, be a shame for it to go to waste, maybes it would work on the tree? 

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
I hope though that a repair is attempted before we just declare it a new open project although I am sure some would advocate that direction of travel.

Open project, aka a mildly diverting warm up for Steve.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
I was working Mecca.

Has anyone got any route recommendations of similar grade and quality, in that sort of area?

How much harder is Make It Funky?

T_B

• forum hero
How about adding a bolt on/couple of bolt on holds (for heel toe?) to retain the grade at F8b+? More secure than gluing shattered rock.  :devangel:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
I suggest gluing on a load of straws. For people to clutch at.

T_B

• forum hero
I suggest gluing on a load of straws. For people to clutch at.

nearly as good as the bonjoy cracker quip  ;D

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
Well said Percy I'm sure you'll be down there real soon, I mean your hardly away from the place. real shame all the time you've put into working it. 8b+ 8c, I guess it all the same to you anyway.  

You're not wrong. I'm gutted after all that effort....

My mistake - working stuff happens during the week. In my free time I prefer to go climbing. Working in your free-time? Not my bag!

Anyway, given my current magnificent (-ly shite) form, you wouldn't want me down there - I just clutter the place up hanging on bolts and causing queues

pig

Whilst we are on the topic of glue, it seems people are obsessed with Sika. It is being used as a generic term, like Hoover is for upright vacuum cleaners. See www.screwfix.com/cats/A236072/Sealants-Adhesives/Resin-Fixings.
It can also be found in Wicks or large B&Q's.
Use the mixer nozzle to get in deep cracks or mix by hand for small jobs.
This stuff is a cheaper version of what we use to fix bolts.

north_country_boy

• junky
Ok.... as it stands, or more aptly, as it lays below the Crag....

Steve has vacated to the South of France for a couple of weeks, and his opinion was that it would be climbable without a significant change in grade without the blocks, however this hasn't been attempted....

There are currently mixed emotions regarding whether they go back on from people who are currently trying the route, and until its been tried in its current state no decision can really be made regarding what to do next..... :agree:

Its been suggested the people with a vested interest get together sometime soon and try it, then devise a plan.... (i.e. Keith, Paul, Ted, Rob, Simon, Stu.....possibly others???)
Hopefully this will happen asap and if the decision is that the blocks aren't replaced then the following will be become compulsory attire for the next 30 days....

Amen

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
Ok.... as it stands, or more aptly, as it lays below the Crag....

Steve has vacated to the South of France for a couple of weeks, and his opinion was that it would be climbable without a significant change in grade without the blocks, however this hasn't been attempted....

Steve repeated Mecca, and then did it again with the Mecca extension, yesterday. He was of the opinion that while it was a bit harder it didn't change the grade.
Having seen how many pieces the block is in, and how little contact it actually made with the rest of the crag (most of it appeared to be mud), I see little chance of it being successfully repaired.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal