UKBouldering.com

ACPO & ID Cards (Read 2146 times)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
ACPO & ID Cards
May 06, 2009, 08:20:00 am
I can't believe that a serving police officer is commenting on the likely benefits of ID cards!  This alone is one of the most worrying indicators with regard to the direction of travel re civil liberties that I can think of.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#1 Re: ACPO & ID Cards
May 06, 2009, 08:45:47 am
I like the fact that manc has the first stage of this as a voluntary scheme......I can see all the scallies queing up to pay there £60 to get one of them beauties
All together now 'If you have done nothing wrong then you have nothing to fear'......right oh apart from my rights as a human being being taken away. I have to say sloper that it is also having the effect of re-politicizing some of us that have become a bit complacent in our old age with regard to the political landscape. I find my self bristling at the news every day at the moment. 

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#2 Re: ACPO & ID Cards
May 06, 2009, 09:11:31 am
wouldn't it just be easier to have a tattooed number on our arms..?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#3 Re: ACPO & ID Cards
May 06, 2009, 09:30:43 am
Tattoed barcodes would be a good idea.

On the forehead.

Those proposing the idea should lead by volunteering for the pilot scheme.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#4 Re: ACPO & ID Cards
May 06, 2009, 10:19:10 am
on the forehead, pffft...

i'd have to get me spiders web removed

chummer

• forum abuser
#5 Re: ACPO & ID Cards
May 06, 2009, 02:48:10 pm
I have to say sloper that it is also having the effect of re-politicizing some of us that have become a bit complacent in our old age with regard to the political landscape.

:agree: Especially with these ID cards, this scheme in Manc is just the start, I hope it falls on it's arse but no doubt it will be a 'great success' and the back door will be wide open for it to go national and eventually compulsory for all. I personally vow to never subscribe to this, even if it becomes unlawfull to do so, I fundamentally disagree with this scheme, I do not need to carry a card to prove who I am, it shouldn't be my responsibility to prove my identity in the country in which I am full time resident, a supposedly democratic country.
Maybe they could micro chip us like my dog, my dog has no human rights.   

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#6 Re: ACPO & ID Cards
May 06, 2009, 02:56:21 pm
What the fuck do they really hope to achieve with this? As it's already been pretty much proven that it wont do anything to help prevent terrorism or crime A: what possible justification for the scheme can there be and B: what's the real agenda behind the desperate attempt to push it through?

It surely can't just be that a lot of people are going to look very silly having wasted so much time and money on a pointless and deeply unpopular idea that ended up in the bin..........can it?

Sloper

• forum hero
#7 Re: ACPO & ID Cards
May 06, 2009, 03:16:00 pm
My problem is that it's not the role of the police to comment on issues such as this in the manner that he did and did so wearing his ACPO hat.

If they were asked how they would adapt to policing in a society with ID cards that would be fine, but that the comment about other possible 'benefits' was in my view a very serious breach of the convention of the Police being separate from politics.

This isn't the first time senior ranks have acted in this manner and it raises i thin very serious concerns about the independence of the police.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#8 Re: ACPO & ID Cards
May 06, 2009, 04:19:26 pm
B: what's the real agenda behind the desperate attempt to push it through?

I would guess that it is the first step in creating the national database that will keep tabs on our every move. Once you have a compulsory ID card then you have a unique reference number for each individual and the whole thing becomes an awful lot easier to link together.

bluebrad

Sloper

• forum hero
#9 Re: ACPO & ID Cards
May 06, 2009, 04:22:40 pm
You up for some grit tomorrow Beetlejuice?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#10 Re: ACPO & ID Cards
May 06, 2009, 07:58:32 pm
on the forehead, pffft...

i'd have to get me spiders web removed

Which would reveal a brace of Swallows; nightmare innit?

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
#11 Re: ACPO & ID Cards
May 09, 2009, 01:19:17 pm
had a discussion about this at the climbing wall today.cant really see someone volounteering that level of capital for a voluntary scheme.i personally wouldnt want to give all my details over so some overpaid secretary can leave them on a train :read:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal