UKBouldering.com

York beta (Read 6763 times)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
York beta
April 22, 2009, 10:19:26 am
Word up,

Having been offered a job in York I'm going to be relocating over there in the next few weeks, thought I'd canvass opinion here, as I've never been there before (apart from for the interview of course).

So, can anyone throw me a bone on where's nice to live / where should I avoid? I'm currently checking out rightmove for places to rent but it's a bit pointless if I don't know whether the place is in the middle of chavtown.

Cheers in advance all,

Tone

cofe

• forum hero
#1 Re: York beta
April 22, 2009, 10:34:09 am
i reckon it's worth putting some effort into sorting a new nickname when you're settled, perhaps something along the lines of 'The Duke'.

Hope that helps.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#2 Re: York beta
April 22, 2009, 10:42:34 am
TTT, I don't know York. But I do know it floods real easy in places. I'd definitely suggest checking out any flood info you can find.

dave

#3 Re: York beta
April 22, 2009, 10:44:51 am
get a houseboat and you're laughing.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: York beta
April 22, 2009, 12:47:44 pm
Someone axed the question over on UKC a while back. All I know abut it is the racecourse sells alcohol, and alcohol makes you miss your train stop at Leeds on the way home. And there are not many trains back from Huddersfield, and a taxi isn't cheap.

cofe

• forum hero
#5 Re: York beta
April 22, 2009, 01:34:48 pm
Someone axed the question

are you a rapper?   :)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#6 Re: York beta
April 22, 2009, 02:47:40 pm
word.

Ally Smith

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: York beta
April 22, 2009, 02:49:58 pm
I lived there for a year, though my girlfriend had been there for 3years before me.

We lived in Fulford, a very easy 10 min walk along the river into town.

Flooding is only an issue for a few riverside business, like the pub that is always shwon on the news when there's floods. Even in flood you can sometimes use the riverside path on a bike.

Living within the walls means parking permits and oneway systems.

York wall is a small, but good facility in a sports centre - good woody for bouldering and re-set often enough when i was there. Routes aren't really steep enough. Leeds wall is 45min away by car.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#8 Re: York beta
April 22, 2009, 03:29:00 pm
York is a very pretty city - nice parks and building, some good pubs and lots of shops.  However, it's very touristy: you occassionally find yourself unable to easily buy the things you need for day-to-day living because of the sheer number of souvenir shops etc.  As pointed out above, flooding is rarely a problem unless you particularly like drinking at the frequently submerged King's Arms. 

Regarding places to live.  Heslington is near the University and also within walking distance of the city-centre, it's hence student central with lots of rented accommodation.  Fulford is similar although a little further out along the south side of the city.  The climbing wall is in Acomb, a residential area that extends to the west-ish region of the outer ring-road.  It's essentially a large, non-lovely estate, but it is fairly handy for visiting Almscliff!  Driving into and around York can be a bit of a nightmare, there are frequently massive jams on the ring-roads and city parking is extortionately priced (when I worked there I used to park in Heslington and walk for 25 minutes).  Both are likely to get worse as the council is trying to encourage use of a Park and Ride scheme.  However, York is good for cycling with lots of cycle-paths and cycle-lanes (including some from the Park and Rides carparks).  So if you can find anywhere to live within the cycle network you should be well set up for relatively easy commuting.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 Re: York beta
April 22, 2009, 05:07:37 pm

Can be psychotically violent at night.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#10 Re: York beta
April 22, 2009, 05:20:20 pm
Yeah it's a bit Jekyll and Hyde. Looks all twee and touristy but can also be fucking nasty. Still, where can't?!

andy popp

• forum hero
#11 Re: York beta
April 22, 2009, 09:20:39 pm
I know a climber who works at York Uni and lives in Harrogate. He really rates it, reasonable commute and 10 minutes to the Cliffe.

AndiT

• forum abuser
#12 Re: York beta
April 24, 2009, 08:04:22 am

Can be psychotically violent at night.

I'm glad somebody knows this. I grew up in York, and when people ask where I'm from I always get the same 'you must be right posh then' type responses.

However, I think it's a fantastic place, don't worry about the flooding, that's little more than something fun to ride your bike in and has little affect on your life other than the Kings Arms will probably be shut (Sam Smith's anyway, so wouldn't bother).

If you're renting accommodation, there are a lot of student digs, however one side of the Uni is very nice (around Heslington) wheras the other side around 'Tang Hall' is a little less so :whistle: From memory Kings Way in clifton was always the place to avoid however, unless you move there, you shouldn't have to encounter it.

Fulford is nice (but I would say that) as are many of the places close to the city centre (Bishopthorpe Road for example).

You'll get to know Almscliffe well, and that in itself, should be reason enough to move there!

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#13 Re: York beta
April 24, 2009, 10:37:33 am
Cheers for the advice all, very useful stuff - having been the worst stereotypical Sheffield based climber (headaches and nausea when more than 10 miles from Stanage...) I'm looking forward to getting stuck into the 'Cliff. I've made a point of learning to jam properly before I move up there so the Yorkshiremen can't accuse me of being a soft southern nancy.

Fulford is nice (but I would say that) as are many of the places close to the city centre (Bishopthorpe Road for example).

Weird you mention it Andi - went over there yesterday looking at a couple of places and took a flat on Bishopthorpe Road!

Oh, and it's on the first floor above a shop so flooding shouldn't be a problem - I'll buy an inflatable dinghy just in case.

AndiT

• forum abuser
#14 Re: York beta
April 24, 2009, 03:43:11 pm
Nice one, you're just round the corner from my brother then!

I hope you enjoy your time there, I'm sure you will, it's a good scene.

Andi

SA Chris

• forum hero
#15 Re: York beta
April 24, 2009, 04:05:58 pm
And good work getting a job again. You will also be within a stones throw (today's theme) of Slipstones and not far from the County.

tomtom

• forum hero
#16 Re: York beta
April 24, 2009, 04:07:08 pm
Good stuff, Let me know when you're settled and heading to the Cliff - its my nearest as well.. T

Stabbsy

• junky
#17 Re: York beta
April 26, 2009, 10:07:40 pm
Brimham and Wetherby are also possibles for evening venues. For Brimham and Almscliffe, the biggest problem seems to be getting off the ring road and onto the Harrogate road - there's a queue there most evenings. It's about 30 mins to either venue once you're off the ring road. Wetherby is closer but I think it's a bit of an acquired taste, don't expect too much on your first visit. Slipstones is OK for evenings, but depends which side of York you're coming from and how early you can head out.

York wall is OK, but a bit limited. Citybloc is on the right side of Leeds to get to fairly easily (about 40 mins in rush hour) and is excellent. Not sure about the Depot on the other side of Leeds, but would imagine it's a bit far for evenings.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#18 Re: York beta
April 27, 2009, 07:06:10 pm
Arrrgh!

Twats, twats, twats - actually, no, cunts.

Just had a phonecall from the letting agency and apparently unbeknowst to them, the landlord had already agreed to let the place to a family member prior to my viewing, and hadn't told the agency to take it off the market.

Between landlords and letting agents, I don't know - maybe chuck in an HR 'professional' just to be sure and I reckon you've got all the ingredients for an A1 fuckup.

So, back to square one...good job I gave my month's notice on my place in Sheffield on friday...  :furious:

tomtom

• forum hero
#19 Re: York beta
April 27, 2009, 07:12:16 pm
You got mail...

Stabbsy

• junky
#20 Re: York beta
April 28, 2009, 10:19:38 am
It's worth checking a couple of the individual letting agents as well as rightmove, I know my flat didn't come up on rightmove when I moved over here. I used City Lets, but there's stacks of independent agencies in York. Alternatively, you could try the local paper as they do a property section on a Thursday and have this website (www.yorkpropertypress.co.uk).

Bishopthorpe Road/South Bank area isn't a bad choice, I know a few climbers that live in that area too. If you want any specific advice on locations, send me a PM.

Neil.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#21 Re: York beta
April 28, 2009, 11:08:59 am
Letting agents = estate agents = cunts who expect to be paid for not doing anything (except for screwing things up).

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#22 Re: York beta
April 28, 2009, 12:13:58 pm
I imagine you've already googled this, but the local paper for York is the Press.  The online version of their homes for rent / sale section (with links to estate / letting agents) is:

http://www.thepress.co.uk/homes/

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#23 Re: York beta
April 28, 2009, 01:58:22 pm
Wow - thanks for all the help chaps.

Back up in Yeezy tomorrow for more viewings, so hopefully I'll summat useful.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#24 Re: York beta
May 02, 2009, 10:35:51 pm
Got the housing shit on lock - got myself a nice little cottage in Acomb, looks like a pleasant area plus it's on the road out to the 'Cliffe so that's a bonus.

Should be up there from the end of May, will be a pain to go back to work when I've been enjoying climbing every day but hey, gets me back on the payroll.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal