UKBouldering.com

Paul Pritchard lecture in Outside Hathersage tonight 7.30 (Read 7358 times)

benpritch

• forum abuser
Get yourselves down there.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Damn can't make it, would love to though, really enjoyed "Deep Play" and the "Totem Pole" and your "Kilimanjaro" film of him and others climbing said mountain.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Its free too I think.

benpritch

• forum abuser
totally free - get down there

jonjon

• addict
Too late - just reading Deep Play now - very good book

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Deep Play is a blinder, so much better than his recuperative book #2.

I wish I knew wher my 1st editions of both those books are....

You know who you are, I want them back!

Ged

• junky
went to this last night, really good talk.  Deep play is one of my favorite books, and there was lots of stuff familiar from that, plus a lot of good pics and stories I hadn't seen/heard before.  He's a really funny bloke i thought, and his absolute love for climbing amazing things just shone through.  I didnt realise that all of those amazingly narly things him and JD did on gogarth (unrideable donkey, brocolli garden etc), the slate, and on strone ulladale were all when he was early 20's.  He was 23 when he went to patagonia with simon yates etc, and opened his big walling account with a new route on Paine.   Pretty impressive really. Didnt really do much "cragging " after that apparently.

Also really made me want to visit Tasmania.
Brilliant stuff, see him if you get chance

dave

sounds like it was a good do - but is it me or might the promotion for this event have benefited from being perhaps a little more comprehensive? bearing in mind i recon most people probably don't check the outside website every week just on the offchance they're throwing some random free lecture.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
The Alpine Club put on a series every winter, this was the last one. Well they're never advertised widely but then it was rammed, standing room only, so they'd be daft to really. If dave don't get to know about it then that's his tough luck. I guess his contribution to the collection bucket won't be missed too sorely.

dave

I have a briefcase full of used fifties handcuffed to my wrist that I was waiting to bring along to a lecture, but I guess it'll just have to go towards buying joe cornish another ebony backscratcher.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Shame theres no RSS feed on the Alpine Club's website will just have to rely on the ol' grey matter  :-\ :lol:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Damn them for not ensuring I heard about this!

An evening of story and song, looking at the long history and tradition of climbing songs, starting with Geoffrey Winthrop Young's Pen-y-Pass parties at the beginning of the last century, the work of lyricists like George Basterfield, and John Hirst of the Rucksack Club who wrote over 200 parodies. After the war there was a tradition of singing and writing songs among many clubs, like the Creagh Dhu, the Rock and Ice, the Bradford Lads and the Mynydd Club. There were also many individual singer/song-writing climbers, the most outstanding of whom was Tom Patey. His witty lyrics are now the stuff of legend: 'Onward Christian Boningtonš; 'The Legend of Joe Brown'; 'The Peter Crew' song and many more. Song performances by Paul Cherry and Dennis Gray, and recordings of Tom Patey re-mastered from a 40-year-old tape by Paul at his Cotswold Studio.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
Damn them for not ensuring I heard about this!

An evening of story and song, looking at the long history and tradition of climbing songs, starting with Geoffrey Winthrop Young's Pen-y-Pass parties at the beginning of the last century, the work of lyricists like George Basterfield, and John Hirst of the Rucksack Club who wrote over 200 parodies. After the war there was a tradition of singing and writing songs among many clubs, like the Creagh Dhu, the Rock and Ice, the Bradford Lads and the Mynydd Club. There were also many individual singer/song-writing climbers, the most outstanding of whom was Tom Patey. His witty lyrics are now the stuff of legend: 'Onward Christian Boningtonš; 'The Legend of Joe Brown'; 'The Peter Crew' song and many more. Song performances by Paul Cherry and Dennis Gray, and recordings of Tom Patey re-mastered from a 40-year-old tape by Paul at his Cotswold Studio.

There was a good talk from Andy Kirkpatrick. It's not all crap.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
I wasn't suggesting it was. I wouldn't go to see Dennis Gray singing onward Christian Bonington though. Would you?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
I have a briefcase full of used fifties handcuffed to my wrist that I was waiting to bring along to a lecture, but I guess it'll just have to go towards buying joe cornish another ebony backscratcher.
yo gonna need that dollar for nappies word

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal