UKBouldering.com

So, who got made redundant this week? (Read 49700 times)

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
Will do mate. Final consultation meeting is Monday at 12:30, so everyone please keep your fingers crossed for garden leave or payment in lieu of notice.

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
I'm now on 3 months notice. I've asked if I can leave immediately and am awaiting a response. Fingers crossed!

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
Just heard. My last day is the 4th of September. I'm freeeeeee...

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Woop!

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#154 Re: So, who got made redundant this week?
September 09, 2009, 01:54:41 pm
Well as of 1.19pm today I officially became jobless!

It's the first time I have ever quit on the spot, gutted as well. I left a job I hated for what I thought would be the job that would see me make some big cash only to realise after 1 month I had fucked up, big time.

Oh well, you learn from your mistakes I guess. Anyone got any jobs going?!  :'(

philo

• forum hero
#155 Re: So, who got made redundant this week?
September 09, 2009, 04:52:25 pm
eeek what were the circumstances? good luck finding a new one, at least the temps are beginning to drop!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#156 Re: So, who got made redundant this week?
September 09, 2009, 11:33:53 pm

Ouch - good luck finding something, that sucks being done on the spot :(

erm, sam

• forum hero
#157 Re: So, who got made redundant this week?
September 10, 2009, 07:37:46 am
Well if you left a job you hated, at least you left a job you hated. That's still a good thing to do, even if the short term alternative job didn't quite work out....

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#158 Re: So, who got made redundant this week?
September 10, 2009, 12:37:54 pm
At least your out of there Golt, must have been pretty shit for you to quit on the spot.

Hope something turns up sooner or later (I'm sure it will).

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#159 Re: So, who got made redundant this week?
September 10, 2009, 01:51:15 pm
The whole situation has been a massive dissapointment but it's happened now and can't be altered. I left working for Orange retail to go and sell mobile still but only to businesses (B2B). It was what I classd as a normal persons job ie. hours were 9-5 Monday-Friday with bank hols and crimbo off. I dropped 6k in basic in exchange for better commison and the change in hours plus a company car. Unfortunatly it became very clear I was never going to ba able to recoup the money I had lost and I was pretty much doing a telesales job which was not what I had signed up for. The final straw was being hauled into my bosses office and told that he had been monitoring my calls and I wasn't making enough. This is 4 weeks into the job and I was supposed to be having 3 months training! So I just packed up my shit and walked out. Was quite a good feeling. I'll find something else soon enough so not gonna worry mysel.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#160 Re: So, who got made redundant this week?
September 10, 2009, 09:11:28 pm
Sorry to hear this Mikey, hope you find a decent job soon

account_inactive

• forum hero
#161 Re: So, who got made redundant this week?
September 11, 2009, 05:39:26 pm
Sounds shit.  You're better off without the cvnts

tomtom

• forum hero
#162 Re: So, who got made redundant this week?
September 11, 2009, 05:50:13 pm
Good effort on walking out. Sounds like a sack of shit there... good luck in finding something - My unemployed friends are now not unemployed, so things are moving out there..

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
So, 2 yrs 3 months after I got made redundant by a "leading financial services systems company" in Sheffield, what should turn up in my mailbox this week?

"Hi Tom,

Got your contact details from XXXX XXXX, we have a number of openings   for Senior Analysts based in Sheffield. Attached is the job description   for your information, please let me know if you are interested in these   roles, my contact details are below if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

XXXX XXXX"

Now, either someone has seriously bad tact, or maybe it's a twisted sense of humour - I can't tell which it is...

I resisted the urge pen a suitable response.

tomtom

• forum hero
So, 2 yrs 3 months after I got made redundant by a "leading financial services systems company" in Sheffield, what should turn up in my mailbox this week?

"Hi Tom,

Got your contact details from XXXX XXXX, we have a number of openings   for Senior Analysts based in Sheffield. Attached is the job description   for your information, please let me know if you are interested in these   roles, my contact details are below if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

XXXX XXXX"

Now, either someone has seriously bad tact, or maybe it's a twisted sense of humour - I can't tell which it is...

I resisted the urge pen a suitable response.

Apply, lead them on then tell them where to go... prefferably in the interview :)

LucyB

• Trusted Users
  • obsessive maniac
I don't know if this should go in the YYFY thread too

Got 6 months PILON cos they messed their original timescales up. So glad to be out of there, like a rat leaving a sinking ship  :smirk:
I was supposed to be going in for the last 2 weeks before the holiday (now my maternity leave is over), but apparently there's no need - but the little one is starting childcare anyway WOOHOO!

Time to get on with my life........

Anyone want hypnotherapy for stopping smoking or weight loss? Free of charge while I'm a trainee hypnotherapist. Based in Sheff if you're interested. I could probably make you really, really strong too

erm, sam

• forum hero
PILCON?

LucyB

• Trusted Users
  • obsessive maniac
Pay in lieu of (crappy?) notice

erm, sam

• forum hero
Result!

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Hi Lucy,

Out of interest, are your firm going to make your PILON income tax-able?

There was some debate at the time that I was in the same boat as to whether one had to pay income tax on it, and from what I gather it all came down to whether the company classed it as a payment of salary or not.

From the research I did at the time it would appear that there is a way of the company paying it so you don't get taxed, but it seemed to come down to whether they could be bothered to go to the effort. Mine didn't, but depending on how much it is it might be worth pursuing.

...and on the hypnotherapy, you can make me thinner, AND stronger? Is Lagers aware of the competition? Or is this a sub-contracting thing? ;-)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
All they have to do is call it redundancy and you get up to £30k tax free, no NI.

They should do it as it's no extra work for them. Your employers were obviously just cunts as it will actually have cost them money to pay it as salary (12.8% employers NI).

LucyB

• Trusted Users
  • obsessive maniac
Think it depends on if HMRC ever catch up with you..... They can re-name it, but if the tax man thinks it's the same as PILON then I'm liable for the tax, plus the extras my employers used to pay! Got a good solicitor working on the compromise agreement for me though.

And Lagers? Just a snake-oil salesman. No competition for the real deal  :P

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

Anyone want hypnotherapy for stopping smoking or weight loss? Free of charge while I'm a trainee hypnotherapist. Based in Sheff if you're interested. I could probably make you really, really strong too

Look into my eyes, right into my eyes, not around the eyes, right into my eyes, annnnd you're under.

When you wake up, right, you will be reeeeeeally strong, thin and not want to smoke.

That will be £250 please.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Think it depends on if HMRC ever catch up with you..... They can re-name it, but if the tax man thinks it's the same as PILON then I'm liable for the tax, plus the extras my employers used to pay! Got a good solicitor working on the compromise agreement for me though.

They just need to define you not having a job any more as a redundancy as per HMRC guidance:

"... an employee who is dismissed shall be taken to be dismissed by reason of redundancy if the dismissal is attributable wholly or mainly to:

- the fact that his employer has ceased, or intends to cease, to carry on the business for the purposes of which the employee was employed by him, or has ceased, or intends to cease, to carry on that business in the place where the employee was employed or

- the fact that the requirements of that business for employees to carry out work of a particular kind, or for employees to carry out work of a particular kind in the place where he was so employed, have ceased or diminished or are expected to cease or diminish"

The highlighted bit being the grey area which is easiest to "prove".

Provided this is done correctly there is no way HMRC are going to come after you for any tax in the future.

Sorry, here's the link:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM13800.htm

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal