UKBouldering.com

Andalucia route recommendations (Read 2022 times)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Andalucia route recommendations
December 16, 2008, 04:39:24 pm
Off to El Chorro / Andalucia generally for new year; anyone got any useful knowledge / blinding recommendations?

Generally after 7a - 8a type stuff, and maybe a longer thing or two (i mean long like ten pitches, not long like more than two clips, peakies  ;) )

How good is Archidona?

cheers!

Ste

• player
#1 Re: Andalucia route recommendations
December 16, 2008, 10:36:06 pm
Hey Toby
Its a good few years since I visited Archidona (about 6) but I dont remember being blown away in terms of quality. The crag was covered in pigeon shit, even the odd pocket had a dead bird inside. It just felt a bit grim. The crag did have some good routes but I reckon a day or two would be plenty.

Desplomilandia was a good venue (30min from Chorro) plenty to do in the 7c-8a range from what I remember.

The best crag for me was Makinodromo at the far end of the El Chorro gorge. Obviously Lourdes 8a (7c?) is the one to go for as well as Atlas Shrieked 8a . Its probably worth you checking out the latest access issues, this time last year they banned folks from accessing the gorge via the tunnels. Think a fair few climbers got nailed with a hefty fine.

Poema de Roca in Chorro had a bunch of quality (but super polished) cave routes. Swimming Through A Shark Attack 8a+, Rima Libra 7c+, Eye Of The Storm 7c and Viejo Traidor 7b+ are all mega.

Nice one

Steve

TobyD

• forum hero
#2 Re: Andalucia route recommendations
December 17, 2008, 08:04:45 am
nice one Steve, i had heard similar poo - related rumours about archidona, but wondered whether it was just vicious slander. It appears not!
ta, Toby

Drewski Rootbitch

• addict
#3 Re: Andalucia route recommendations
December 17, 2008, 08:12:13 am
Hey Toby,
Get yourself on all the extensions above Poema. The full 'Poema de Roca' is very good (Six pitches I think. Second pitch is the crux and is linkable with the first at 8a+ ish) but beyond that the grade eases off to about 7c. There's a great route on its left 'Maquina.......' I can't remember the full name, but thats about 7b++ hardest pitch, and left again a newish one meant to be a similar grade to 'Maquina.....' but I haven't done this one so I'm guessing (All these are about six pitches and don't get much traffic, so don't forget you spirit of adventure.....or a rope gun.
Drew
P.S. Archidona is shit.

TobyD

• forum hero
#4 Re: Andalucia route recommendations
December 17, 2008, 12:47:44 pm
about 7b++ hardest pitch,

about leeds 6c then.

[quoteso don't forget you spirit of adventure.....or a rope gun.[/quote]

i've got Si, not sure whether he qualifies under either banner.

[quoteP.S. Archidona is shit.[/quote]

this seems to be something of a consensus.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal