Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#1 Some pad reviews....
September 29, 2003, 01:08:56 pm
There's only one pad for me - metolius xxl although it is a little thin but makes a great bed when camping as well

dave

#2 Some pad reviews....
September 29, 2003, 04:29:53 pm
the guy in the lower right hand photo on that link is the itialian stallion who i climbed with a few years ago when he was over at durham. he is stronger than a mofo.

It coming up to time for me to replace my faithfull Pod mat which i've used very intensivley now for nearly 4 years, the foam is well and truly beaten down, but to pods credit although the outer is beaten and trying to give up at the handle points etc theres no actualy rips, tears or stiching broken.

I'm 99% sure I'm just going to buy another the same, the newer one with the velcro, but the same size. for me that the best size compromise. To be honest i wouldn't even look sideways at a metolious mat. they can make em as big as they want the build quality is still not a patch on Pod's. Plus i heard they ship the covers over from the US then fill with cheap foam from the UK.

I'm also deeply suspicous of general climbing companies adding a generic "nothing special" mat to their range, as they usually blow. Best to get one from a dedicated or semi-dedicated company, like pod, snap or franklyn.

dave

#3 Some pad reviews....
September 29, 2003, 04:32:30 pm
just read the article again, its not even a review cos they offer no critial comment on the mat, foam, design, price etc, its just a run down of each ones features.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 Some pad reviews....
September 29, 2003, 04:39:51 pm
I didn't read it properly myself to be truthful..... :oops:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#5 Some pad reviews....
September 29, 2003, 06:33:19 pm
The metolius pads may be stuffed in the UK but it sure ain't with cheap foam...

The price of the foam is the main reason why mats are so expensive. I can highly recommend the new pod ones - the foam has been improved further and the velcro makes them even more bombproof. And they are the perfect size....for the boot of a 205.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#6 Some pad reviews....
September 29, 2003, 07:20:08 pm
I've currently got a bloomin' great Franklin pad - only used it once but it probably paid for itself in that one fall (see the being injured etc thread).

I was toying with getting a Snap one like of of the other Derby gs, but thought if I'm going to spazz £100 on a big bit of foam with handles then another £30 won't really matter. They truly are the shizzle for rizzle.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal