UKBouldering.com

almscliffe or caley? (Read 3998 times)

chris

• menacing presence
almscliffe or caley?
September 22, 2003, 02:36:39 pm
of into yorkshire this wednesday (weather permitting :( ) friends have told me to check out almscliffe and caley

one problem...i dont know which venue would be better caley or almscliffe, having never been its hard to choose just by looking at the guide!

looked at yorkshiregrit.com but again nothing to choose between the two :? . Which crag is the best? which has the best concentration of problems around v6-9?

and more importantly which one will be the coldest?..almscliffe looks pretty remote and high up most likely to attract the wind?

Mike_H

• menacing presence
#1 almscliffe or caley?
September 22, 2003, 02:53:49 pm
Caley has way more problems than Almscliffe, the problem is that this time of year it is a real bushwack as the bracken gets a bit out of hand, plus it takes a while to get to know Caley due to its layout and the spread of problems over quite a large area. Might be worth just checking out one of the area and ticking everything you can rather than getting too hung up on the grades.

Almscliffe on the other hand is fairly compact, well exposed and dries really quickly and there plenty to go at, at the grades you are looking to climb.

Really depends on how keen you are, you could do a morning to early afternoon session at Caley (Bus Stop area - maybe) and then go up to Almscliffe for late afternoon / early evening - depending on motivation and the amount of skin left???

chris

• menacing presence
#2 almscliffe or caley?
September 22, 2003, 03:06:55 pm
cheers, sounds ace and looking forward to going there. how widespread is caley? will i get completely lost and need to be rescued or is it just a case of reading the guide and not running aroung like a maniac?

grades are not really an issue, just the quality and amount of problems we can tick really. Think almscliffe will be better especially if it dries quicker. cheers for the info :wink:

Mike_H

• menacing presence
#3 almscliffe or caley?
September 22, 2003, 03:32:42 pm
Best thing to do at Caley is just check out one area, as it is fairly big and then when you go back check out another area.

One of the best areas to check out first time would be something like the roadside boulders, check out Yorkshiregrit.com and it should enable you to build up quiet a decent tick list to go at.

The bracken shouldn't be too bad on there, so you shouldn't get too lost. Read the guide and you should have a good day.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#4 almscliffe or caley?
September 22, 2003, 07:02:49 pm
almscliff is more exposed and will be colder than caley.
If you do go to caley bus stop area, make sure you do not my style (arete straight infront of you) brill prob at about v6

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 almscliffe or caley?
September 22, 2003, 10:58:02 pm
I personally prefer Caley for the variety.  Almscliff is great, but reserve it for mid winter, when most of caley is green and wet and unclimbable.

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#6 almscliffe or caley?
September 23, 2003, 01:22:41 am
depends what style you want too?

Caley is nice and technical where as Almscliff is a bit more brute force

If its hot head to Almscliff and hit the classics like, Morrels Wall, Syretts Roof, Pebble Wall, Demon Wall Roof etc etc.

if its nice and cool head to Caley and go for the problems around Rabits Paw Wall - there's loads of quality stuff all pretty close together around there - must ticks include New Jerusalem, Pebble Wall, the Cayley Mantle (aka Bobs Bastard), low pebble wall and many more

enjoy

chris

• menacing presence
#7 almscliffe or caley?
September 23, 2003, 09:36:15 am
cheers for the info boys...i will certainly enjoy.

By the looks of the weather in sheff it will be prety cold tomorrow...when me and simone will be cranking it out in yorkshire and you guys will be working :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#8 almscliffe or caley?
September 23, 2003, 06:30:28 pm
damm your hide!!!! :x
but come thursday and friday I shall be out cranking myself weather permitting :D
although it will probably rain or be dead hot

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#9 almscliffe or caley?
September 25, 2003, 11:00:29 pm
...further to my growing realisation that life is indeed very simple indeed, might I point out that you should go to Caley when you can, and Almscliffe when you can't. The latter can dry within half an hour of rain - this often when you get the best friction - and both crags have numerous esoteric wonders beyond the mainstream circuits.

Despite their respective reputations, Caley actually has quite a lot of brutal power problems. It is also arguably a more hardcore venue in the light of recent developments - I used to climb a lot at both in the early 90s and I am certainly more curious about going back to Caley than that old 'done to death' Almscliffe place.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#10 almscliffe or caley?
September 26, 2003, 03:18:12 pm
Very philosophical this afternoon Mr Panton?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#11 almscliffe or caley?
September 26, 2003, 03:28:57 pm
Just got rained out of widdop this morning but managed to squeeze a quick session in at earl (that place is so reliable for weather).

I started bouldering at caley as when I was at uni, it was only 15mins bus up the road. didn't get to almscliff till a few years later and i have only been 4 or 5 times. Caley is still my favorite but I would deffinately leave it until the ferns have died down (not long now) and do almscliff instead as the circuit is more concentrated.

The White Hart in poole (between caley and almscliff) is top for a good pint of bass and some grub and all.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal