UKBouldering.com

lower hidden traverse grade - saddle tor (Read 2434 times)

wintermute

• menacing presence
lower hidden traverse grade - saddle tor
November 03, 2008, 03:42:41 pm
did this a little while ago, definitely one of the best problems i've done on the moor.
only gets v7 on javu, but apparently worth v9 in the new guide...... not that it really matters, but has anyone on here done it and got any opinions on how hard it is?

JonI

• regular
#1 Re: lower hidden traverse grade - saddle tor
November 03, 2008, 06:09:57 pm
There's going to be new guide?  Any more info on this?

Tried it a while ago but not done it.  Seemed quite tricky for V7 I recall...  good problem though!

chris

• menacing presence
#2 Re: lower hidden traverse grade - saddle tor
November 03, 2008, 06:13:24 pm
yeah, would be interested in any hard copyguides for the areas down there. not been yet but really want to check it out.

any help?

wintermute

• menacing presence
#3 Re: lower hidden traverse grade - saddle tor
November 03, 2008, 10:07:06 pm
hate to disappoint you both, but i just meant the supplement to nick whites guide...... it also covered some of the new boulders

MAndy

#4 Re: lower hidden traverse grade - saddle tor
November 10, 2008, 06:23:30 pm
Recently did the L to R version, which took several attempts bash into submission and recon its bottom end 7b+.

Dave graded it a few years back at V9, and it was mentioned on javu in the 'hard granite' list as a top traverse (really hard to navigate but its still there somewhere); which recently moved to V8, then to V7  :shrug: Don't think its 7c and its defo harder than 7a and its a good power endurance, heal swapping thing of beauty, half a grade easier if you go R to L, and allegedly 8a if you do a there and back.

Its easily harder than the Cream Traverse at Hound Tor, which is something else I would recommend doing if you haven't already, along with Arkham at Bonehill, the three problems make up my most favorite

Dartmoor Granite is notorious for being a buggar, and best left till temps < 8 deg C but when they go, they're brilliant  :)  Just a shame its so limited, but the rumor mill is in full action about a new area, that will soon be published, with a pile of golden problems...

wintermute

• menacing presence
#5 Re: lower hidden traverse grade - saddle tor
November 10, 2008, 10:16:34 pm
that sounds about right to me, i went R-L and whilst i didn't think it was 7c, it certainly wasn't 7a+ either.
i've heard good things about the cream traverse, its certainly on my list for next time i'm down that way, which will be hopefully be in a week or so.
never even looked at arkem though, i guess it too may have to go on the aforementioned list.

this secret spot... wouldn't be over the other side of the moors would it? quite near lots of water maybe??

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal