UKBouldering.com

Sport climbing near Barcelona at New Year (Read 7240 times)

T_B

• forum hero
Sport climbing near Barcelona at New Year
October 27, 2008, 10:58:03 am
Does anyone have any recommendations for sport climbing, accessible from Barcelona (I already have flights) at New Year time?

Looking for a range of grades from 6s to 8s. Santa Linya would be too hard.

I've been to Terradets/Rodeller recently, so not keen to go back there.

I've heard Siurana can be too cold.

Montgrony sounds like a possibility but might be too high up (1300m)?

Margalef has been mentioned. Any good? What's the style of climbing?

Any info much appreciated - thanks.

Or does anyone know about this new crag near Tarragona by the coast. Perma dry south facing cave apparently.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Montgrony was fine in December last year. Even too hot some days. I'd say mid-winter was the best time to visit, so long as it hasn't been raining a lot in the weeks prior. It catches any sun going so would be too hot in most months. It has the advantage of being hilltop so recieves more effective daylight hour in winter than anything in a valley like terradets (which tend to be baltic once the sun has gone behind a hill).
Montsant could also be a good bet.
Santa Linya is good in mid winter, but is brick hard obviously
I think the Santa Ana area is good too.

IanP

• forum abuser
I've known people go to Siurana in December and have an excellant time - Siurana, Arboli and Montsant have lots of south facing cliffs so should have a good chance of decent climbing conditions I would think.  Could be very cold at night though, I'd go for a cabin rather than camping (though since I never camp anyway that wouldn't be a change!).  La Riba is much lower and might be warmer if you have particularly cold conditions, isn't as good but does have a selection of decent 6's and low 7's.

I was talking recently to someone who had been to a cave south of Prades and rated it as excellent, Masriudoms, not a lot of routes but looks like the right sort of grades.

Topos:

http://www.serresdelmestral.cat/ressenyes.htm (click on link Masriudoms).
And another one here with some route names http://blokando.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/masriodoms.pdf

Also google image search finds this:

http://flickr.com/photos/tufa-tufa/2433742248/in/photostream/

RichK

• menacing presence
Hey Tom

We went to Margalef early Feb this year...........massive area with plenty to do for a week. We were unlucky with weather....cold and overcast.........but managed to climb every day. The refuge is also good/quiet..Altho' that may not be the case over Xmas/Newey.It was a couple of degrees warmer than Siurana as we drove in each day. The best routes are undoubtedly in the 7's and 8's. I have the local topo and probably 4 days worth of good crag beta. Conditions were similar to Terredets last Nov.......baltic if no sun, perfect>bit warm when out.

Montsant - sector Hydrophobia is in a pretty sheltered bay and catches all the sun going.....till the end of the day. Good for 7's n 8's but not much below.

The climbing is conglomerate at both but tends to be steeper(at the better crags) in Margalef.

If there's a few going there's an ace place to stay in Cornadella-45 mins fast drive each day.....think I have details

May be worth mailing PoD. 

Ste

• player
I have the info on the place south of Tarragona, directions etc and a rough topo. Apparently  not visited personally) its excellent at that time of year. Send me a PM with your email and I will send you a copy of the map/topo etc once iv dug it out...

We spent most of January at Siurana and it was fine temps wise, but you can be unlucky and get snowed out. Margelef is perfect at that time of year. The climbing is excellent, but its sharp, most find it hard to climb more than one day on.

I reckon if you went for the Siurana/Margalef combo you would be more than happy.

Kingy

• forum hero
Anyone looking for a climbing partner over New Year in Spain?

I am keen to get out there as I have free holiday to take as my office does not work over Christmas. Will probably fly out Boxing Day for a week or maybe more. This refuge at Margalef sounds like a winner. Would it be easy to hook up with ppl to climb with staying at this refuge?

RichK

• menacing presence
Hey T

Like all refuges I'm sure it'll be rammed over xmas/newey.

Never stayed there, just dropped in to get guide but I know folk who have and they had the place to themselves one half term.

I guess if it was quite you'd find a partner in Siurana.

Kingy

• forum hero
Nice one Rich, cheers for the info. I am toying with the idea of going to Suirana cos always wanted to go there and like u say there will be more climbers there and I could always go to Margalef too. Better get those flights booked!

andyh

• stalker
has anyone got a copy of an online guide for the barcelona local crags?

Kingy

• forum hero
Just booked my flights to Barcelona for Boxing day. staying out there for 10 days until Sunday 4th Jan. well psyched! I know somebody who is out in Suirana to climb with for part of my trip but if anybody wants to come out and hook up climbing, let me know - I will have a hire car etc and will be staying in refugios. Anybody know of ppl who will be out there?

julien90

Hi
I'm looking for a climbing partner (sport climbing 7+/8- ish). I'll be in Barcelona from December 26th until January 21st.
Julien

account_inactive

• forum hero
Me and the wife will be out from the 20th to the 29th

kannis

www.lacasademasriudoms.webs.com
Lodge there for a very good price. They have menus to 7,5 €. Bed and breakfast 15€. very advisable.

chris05

• forum abuser
www.lacasademasriudoms.webs.com
Lodge there for a very good price. They have menus to 7,5 €. Bed and breakfast 15€. very advisable.

Think you are probably a bit late, the last post was in 2008...... ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
You wouldn't suppose he was spamming would you?

chris05

• forum abuser
You wouldn't suppose he was spamming would you?

I guess thats a possibility  :-[

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal