UKBouldering.com

Ask Fatdoc - the MTB technical thread (Read 80773 times)

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
sorry, I thought you'd asked for a mtb fork which doesn't equate to rigid in my book  :)

don't know ought about rigid forks except that I have an old Marin in the shed with a 1" rigid fork.  There's no point in taking the fork off but I could sell you the whole bike for spares?  PM me if you are interested.

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
I *may* have just bought a Cotic Hemlock frame.

Could I please have your suggestions for suitable forks.

Frame is 105 - 150mm depending on rocker plate used so I need something between 120 - 160mm on the fork front. Needs to be able to be wound down for the ups as this may become my only bike and will be built up fairly light.

Thoughts on brakes would be handy too, but the world of brakes is a bit easier to comprehend than that of forks.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
See my other thread tim, want to buy some *nearly* new Hope Mono M4's?  Perfect for a big forked hardtail  ;D

fatkid2000

• junky

You either have or have not - make your mind up!!!

tlr

• forum abuser
    • Myportfolio

You either have or have not - make your mind up!!!

Nope, definitely a "may", depends whether the seller accepts my offer or not!

See my other thread tim, want to buy some *nearly* new Hope Mono M4's?  Perfect for a big forked hardtail  ;D

Depends what forks I buy doesn't it now?  ;D

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
sorry, I thought you'd asked for a mtb fork which doesn't equate to rigid in my book  :)

don't know ought about rigid forks except that I have an old Marin in the shed with a 1" rigid fork.  There's no point in taking the fork off but I could sell you the whole bike for spares?  PM me if you are interested.
:-\
tempting but i don't think there's room in my cellar for another 1/2 built up bike. ta for the offer though ;D

I've got a GT LTS 1 frame with shot to pieces rockshox rear shock and shot to pieces 'zocchi's that my mate gave me before he moved to NZ. might try building that one up instead to tide me over.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
 :dance1:

right

i've been here, all year in fact.

there is like NO choice on maufacturer.

Fox

why?

coz even i dont break them, they work, the UK servicers are great, and they have a range with choice in for you. You get what you pay for...

It's 36s   vs 32s time....

36 = best single crown fork for all but 60 ft gap jumps in the world. talas, rc2 is the daddy. 160mm full travel, could be unwieldy for all but the most full on XC / AM we do in the peak I reckon.

32 = 15 not 20 mm bolt through (Hope hubs of pro II or later can be sorted for this.. if  hubs older than that you'll need a new hub.. that should be on your shpping list anyways.. coz the bullet didnt hace 200 through axle did it

32s are  lighter, RLC only have slow speed comprsseion adjustablity ( not an issue, even for me)
Come in 140mm max OR 150mm

I have the 150mm. they rock!

fatkid soon to own 36s... so you can bounce on either for real if you want.

BTW, did i mention it simply MUST be Fox.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
As for brakes...

they all break... so you need ones easy to bleed, mend but spares for.

you know where i'm going with this

If I was buying a set of brakes... today, now..

I'd get the new M4s with finger adjust and bite point adjust, in read and burnished steel with red floating rotors and braided hoses..

they have them in at 18bikes  ;D

tlr

• forum abuser
    • Myportfolio
Thanks for the thoughts Doc, lets hope he accepts my offer.

I heed your words above, but what would your choice of Rockshox be (in case some come up secondhand)?

Those Fox Talas 32s are quite a price! I think 32s rather than 36s for the weight though.

Hopefully I'll be able to spec the frame up with some good sale bargains and secondhand stuff.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
Thanks for the thoughts Doc, lets hope he accepts my offer.

I heed your words above, but what would your choice of Rockshox be (in case some come up secondhand)?

Those Fox Talas 32s are quite a price! I think 32s rather than 36s for the weight though.

Hopefully I'll be able to spec the frame up with some good sale bargains and secondhand stuff.

:wall:

no, sorry.

Lyrics have the spec I admitt... there was a massive recall on these in the 1st year they were out. FBSF is the one of the few survivors who has a fully functioning pair... very nice I have to say.

Once in few weeks there are 36s for sale on southerndownhill... you 'll need to service them and they are often not air sprung... no travel adjust either.

Pikes dont have enough travel ( to keep the bike balanced)

32s with 15mm axles are too new to be bought 2nd hand.

there is a reason why fox forks are soo  rare 2nd hand... and that's why you'll buy them new from stiff in Leeds (cheapest place), with 0% finance and probs get the brakes there as well  ;)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
This topic is so funny. You really really don't need fork x or brake y.

You can convince yourself that you do all you like but there's plenty of people ride lots of hard stuff very fast without needing to have the very latest and greatest bits of kit. They just learn to ride the bike, get on with it and don't spend half their time agonising and geeking over parts.

Honestly, it's like an autism love-in on here sometimes  ;D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 05:04:45 pm by Bubba »

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
Bubb's,  :agree:

But we're not talking about need but DESIRE man  :great:

tim, you don't need 36's, none of us do for what we do, if you see what I mean.

Fox vs everyone else, Fox imho.  Can't imagine where FD got his advise to buy Fox from  ;)

i agree about talas being expensive hence my choice of vanilla's.  compression damping also not worth the cost imho.  but you can't reduce travel on vans so you are back to talas.  So there's your choice: Fox Van32 (£300 ish) with no travel adjust or Talas32 with (£500 ish).  If you want to pay less go and get some Marzocchi MX Pro's, an absolute bargain at £150. 

You pays your money.   :devangel:

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
And even more equally (?) there's a whole bunch of people who have awesome bikes and can't ride for shit.  Cofe sells his guides to them.

And exactly how many bikes worth how much do you have in the garage at the mo Mr Bubbs?  And whilst we are on the subject of pans, kettles and dark shades of grey, how many people on UKB have ever waster their money on a bottle of helium just for the hell of it?  Ha, see.

tlr knows exactly what to buy, and he has the cash to do so.  This is bike number what t?  He just want's his conscience massaging a little before he parts with the cash.

Leave us losers alone and go and administer some proper threads :)

Oli

• obsessive maniac
Reading between the lines, and from what i may vaguely remember from previous threads, does this mean that you're getting rid of a bullit tlr? If so, selling it?

fatkid2000

• junky
Who care's really - we all need something to be geeky about. I can't ride my bike for shit - but I like riding it. This thread just shows that cycling is the new golf and perfect for Men who like to compare shiny things. Compared to my knob jock neighbours, who change their porsche every few weeks, a few hundred quid spent on some forks isn't going to bankrupt most people.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
Fuck me I love this forum... In the main I agree with all the points and insights above. More importanty I just.....

Well... I just

;D

tlr

• forum abuser
    • Myportfolio
Reading between the lines, and from what i may vaguely remember from previous threads, does this mean that you're getting rid of a bullit tlr? If so, selling it?

I'll certainly be selling a Bullit, black, medium, but hopefully I have a buyer already. I'll let you know if it doesn't happen.

You can convince yourself that you do all you like but there's plenty of people ride lots of hard stuff very fast without needing to have the very latest and greatest bits of kit. They just learn to ride the bike, get on with it and don't spend half their time agonising and geeking over parts.

Ah, but you see, I will need a fork and a set of brakes for a new frame. And its much easier and cheaper to let Fatdoc be the guinea pig, let him sort out the wheat from the chaff and then impart his great wealth of knowledge (and personal experience) on here.  :thumbsup:

Buying climbing gear isn't half as much fun as buying bike kit. If only I could afford to do the same with Porsches....

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
how many people on UKB have ever waster their money on a bottle of helium just for the hell of it?

I thought these guys were selling helium balloons in the Stone Circles at Glastonbury once, thought it would be a laugh to have a play around with and tighten the vocal chords.  They were a bit pricey at £5 as it turned out it was NO2  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:  I certainly had a laugh  :lol: :lol: :lol:

cofe

• forum hero
And even more equally (?) there's a whole bunch of people who have awesome bikes and can't ride for shit.  Cofe sells his guides to them.

;D

when i saw the first sentence started with "Cofe..." i thought i would be in the above category. Thankfully, shorton narley has only twigged the secret of our business, that's all. phew.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
I'm stuck between whether to go for a new Carrera S or trying to source a second hand GT3 RS - please help  :lol:

Paul B

• forum hero
I'm stuck between whether to go for a new Carrera S or trying to source a second hand GT3 RS - please help  :lol:

Nat's Auntie 'parked' her X5 on top of her husbands brand new Porsche last week (we were told this over a rather uncomfortable dinner table), it was a replacement for a Carrera 4 so I'm doubting it was a cheap mistake. When asked, she felt 'some' resistance. The same woman has trashed a rather high number of cars. She cut it too fine between two gate posts in the same X5 and instead of reversing just carried on, crushing all of one side!

fatkid2000

• junky
My neighbours asked me a few months ago when fuel was around £1.20 a litre - if I cycled because I couldn't afford to fill my car up. They have a porshse and a X5 so you can imagine what they're like.

I'll ask my neighbour which to go for the GT3 or carrera 4s - I'm sure they've had both recently. My wife calls them the Neanderthals as they struggle to string more than 3 words together - so the response may not be very useful.

Back to bikes - anyone bought any new things recently - I'm sure FD must have added to his arsenal, or is everyone too embarrassed to post now.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero

cough cough........SCOOBY...........cough cough

tlr

• forum abuser
    • Myportfolio
Well, a large, black Hemlock frame is mine now.

Just the small matter of forks, brakes, wheels, shifters, mechs, chainset, tyres, etc, etc to go and I'll have a bike I can ride.

Completely ignoring FDs advice - I'm quite liking the look of the Pace RC41 Fighters. They're 150mm, they're light, they're British, they lock down and most importantly they're black. And they leak supposedly...

cofe

• forum hero
Well, a large, black Hemlock frame is mine now.

Just the small matter of forks, brakes, wheels, shifters, mechs, chainset, tyres, etc, etc to go and I'll have a bike I can ride.

Completely ignoring FDs advice - I'm quite liking the look of the Pace RC41 Fighters. They're 150mm, they're light, they're British, they lock down and most importantly they're black. And they leak supposedly...

nice.

but seriously, who rides a black bike.  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal