UKBouldering.com

Help! Looking to Boulder in England! (Read 9243 times)

CanadianDave

• regular
Help! Looking to Boulder in England!
September 11, 2003, 09:21:48 pm
Hi all!
I'm a 19 year old Canadian student who is going to be here in England for the next 3 months. I dragged my crashpad across the atlantic so I'm hoping to do as much bouldering as possible while i'm here (probably heading to font for midterm). Anyway point is i was hoping to maybe find someone to climb with or to tell me where the best places to go are.

Any help would be great!
Thanks alot- Dave

dmitri

• player
#1 Help! Looking to Boulder in England!
September 11, 2003, 09:48:43 pm
Where are u at the moment? What grade u climb at?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Help! Looking to Boulder in England!
September 11, 2003, 10:04:58 pm
Where are you going to be based in England? Let us know and we'll point you in the right direction...

CanadianDave

• regular
#3 Help! Looking to Boulder in England!
September 11, 2003, 11:32:40 pm
Well I'm staying at a campus in Harlow now. From my understanding thats not near any rock at all...

But i mean i have no problem with getting a train somewhere for a weekend. I have fridays and mondays off so my weekends are quite long.

as for what grade i'm climbing at, I'm not really familiar with the european grades....I can climb around V5 some V6s with the hueco grades....so thats what....6a? 6b?

anyway hopefully someone will want to meet up for some bouldering?
I found a website for bouldering at the peak is it? but found even the guides provided there didnt seem like enough information to just head there on my own....maybe not though..

Cheers (as they say here), Dave

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 Help! Looking to Boulder in England!
September 11, 2003, 11:59:35 pm
If you've got Mondays and Fridays off and don't mind a bit of travel then you'll have no problems - I have to say that Harlow is not the ideal location, but compared to Candian distances, anywhere in the UK is close really...

Your nearest decent bouldering will probably the Southern Sandstone - see : http://www.canaryclimbs.com/sandstone_update_uk.htm. This is a new site but worth keeping an eye on.

You could go west to the South West, ie Dartmoor, North Devon Coast, etc or you could head North for the Peak District where you've got a lot high quality gritstone bouldering.

Further afield you've got North Wales, Yorkshire Gritstone, Northumberland Sandstone, Lakes sandstone and mountain rock, and more.

Within a few hours on the train you've got access to a great diversity of bouldering. There's many further options in Wales, Ireland, and Scotland but you're getting into much greater travelling time then.

Have a look through the links from this site, we've got many of the best known bouldering sites on there. If you're headed Peak wards, then I'm sure one of us could show you about  :D

dave

#5 Help! Looking to Boulder in England!
September 12, 2003, 12:23:00 am
Yo you wanna get your ass up to the Peak first of all- it is the be all and end all i'm afraid.

Its just starting to cool down now for the winter so you're in time for the good conditions. I gotta say your location of Harlow blows are far as local crags go, but the UK isn't that big so you should be able to get around.

Where are you from in canada? I love canada, its the dope shit!

CanadianDave

• regular
#6 Help! Looking to Boulder in England!
September 12, 2003, 12:27:01 am
Well after looking at the pictures on this site i've got to say i definitely want to head to the peak....probably fairly often.

Whats the deal on places to stay near there? Whats the best plan?
Are the hostels or anything?
next weekend probably be when i head up first.

Are there always people climbing there? I come from a part of canada with a pretty small climbing comunity and our "hotspots" are often deserted.

thanks for any help, dave

CanadianDave

• regular
#7 Help! Looking to Boulder in England!
September 12, 2003, 12:29:19 am
I'm from Newfoundland.
Pretty smally populated island so not alot of climbers there yet....lots of potential for great climbing though.....it is called the rock.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 Help! Looking to Boulder in England!
September 12, 2003, 12:33:22 am
You're in for a bit of a shock if you're used to a quiet area - the Peak at weekends can get horribly crowded.

However,  if you know where to go you can usually escape the masses and still do good stuff. I won't be around for a couple of weeks - can anyone else show CanadianDave about?

dave

#9 Help! Looking to Boulder in England!
September 12, 2003, 12:37:19 am
I will be mad for it once i get back from sardinia in a fortnight. damn straight mutha fukkaz!

CanadianDave

• regular
#10 Help! Looking to Boulder in England!
September 12, 2003, 12:49:51 am
Yeah that sounds awesome guys, it looks like this forum is going to help....i was afraid all it would get me was:

"..oh yeah head to the peak....its north of where you are now"

Sardinia? is that all i've hear it is? thought about maybe taking a trip there depending on costs what about font? does it live up to the hype? worth heading there for midterm?

also what about places to stay near peak? are there hostels...or cheap motels if not? if so how far away and how would one transport to the crags from them?

james

• obsessive maniac
#11 Help! Looking to Boulder in England!
September 12, 2003, 07:45:19 am
Ther is some camping and some youth hostels But you have to be a member (it does not costs much to join the yha).  There are hostels in matlock, bakewell, hathersage and ravenstor.  All of these are close to the crags.  Call 0870 770 8868 for their customer services.
I would be happy to show you around.  We are out whenever we dont have work/school.  We spend most of time in peak but often go further a feild.  You could also kip at my house in matlock if you want.  Nearest crag is about 2 min away with stanage and roaches taking about 25 min each.
Cheers

James

Big Frank

• forum abuser
#12 Help! Looking to Boulder in England!
September 12, 2003, 07:51:37 am
Quote from: "dave"
Yo you wanna get your ass up to the Peak first of all- it is the be all and end all i'm afraid.

Really! http://www.yorkshiregrit.com/index.jsp , Yorkshire has more to offer for the boulderer.

My Canadian bros in law is over for 7 weeks, tonight he gets his first trip to Slipstones!

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#13 Help! Looking to Boulder in England!
September 12, 2003, 08:17:05 am
ditto, if you ever fancy seeing manchesters premier bouldering venue - hobson moor quarry! - I'd be more than glad to give you the tour

AndyR

• forum hero
#14 Help! Looking to Boulder in England!
September 12, 2003, 09:05:56 am
Quote from: "CanadianDave"
thought about maybe taking a trip there depending on costs what about font? does it live up to the hype? worth heading there for midterm?

Not half!  Almost the entire Irish bouldering population (and associated ex-pats :D ) will be there from 4 - 19 Oct.

It will not dissapoint! unless it's raining....

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#15 Help! Looking to Boulder in England!
September 12, 2003, 09:38:18 am
Hye man,

If you're only here for 3 months I wouldn't bother with the Southern Sandstone which will start to be 'out of season' soon.

With the cooler weather coming its gotta be grit.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#16 Help! Looking to Boulder in England!
September 12, 2003, 09:45:23 am
Southern Sandstone will soon be out of season?????????????????
Is it ever 'in'................I went to High rocks and was deeply un-impressed.

Canadian Dave, from where u are, it would probably take longer to get to the southern sandstone than it would to get to the grit!!!(Your prob in shock at the british road sytem)  Giv us a shout mate, out most weekends, and mondays as well

Big Frank

• forum abuser
#17 Help! Looking to Boulder in England!
September 12, 2003, 09:50:15 am

Not half!  Almost the entire Irish bouldering population (and associated ex-pats :D ) will be there from 4 - 19 Oct.

All 4 of you, that must take some organising!

Rhys

• menacing presence
#18 Help! Looking to Boulder in England!
September 12, 2003, 10:03:16 am
Hey Dave,

Similarly, if you ever make it to Wales (and you should because it's a beautiful place with some of the best climbing in the UK) give me a shout and I'm shure something could be arranged :D .
Rhys

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#19 Help! Looking to Boulder in England!
September 12, 2003, 10:15:26 am
Quote from: "FH"
Yorkshire has more to offer for the boulderer.

Yeah, but it's another hour and a half on what's already a fair journey, and without a car it's trickier to get between crags. In the Peak you can get a bus to Fox House and you've got about 7 different venues within half an hour's walk.

AndyR

• forum hero
#20 Help! Looking to Boulder in England!
September 12, 2003, 10:45:19 am
Quote from: "FH"

All 4 of you, that must take some organising!

That's including our lucky mascot yeah?

Oh man, I can't wait to go to font  :clap:

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#21 Help! Looking to Boulder in England!
September 12, 2003, 11:04:48 am

Southern Sandstone will soon be out of season?????????????????
Is it ever 'in'................I went to High rocks and was deeply un-impressed.

Its been good this year- Particulary for High Rocks. Can't remember the last time it was dry, but now with the recent rain it'll will not be worth making the journey. Plus you really need someone to show you round the good stuff.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#22 Help! Looking to Boulder in England!
September 12, 2003, 11:08:52 am
i work quite a lot darn the smoke, wats best bouldering wall? went to mile end during the summer but ended up avin an argument with the bloke behind the counter, not that im a arsey bastard or anything :lol:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#23 Help! Looking to Boulder in England!
September 12, 2003, 11:11:25 am
What was the argument about ?

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#24 Help! Looking to Boulder in England!
September 12, 2003, 11:13:40 am
Quote from: "fatboySlimfast"
i work quite a lot darn the smoke, wats best bouldering wall? went to mile end during the summer but ended up avin an argument with the bloke behind the counter, not that im a arsey bastard or anything :lol:

Mile Ends good for bouldering... If you know the classics ;-)
I like you spend a fair bit of time darn South :-(

Next time your down, give us a shout, ill point you at some good problems

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal