UKBouldering.com

Free Almscliff and Ilkley Topos!!! (Read 15589 times)

Kevin

Free Almscliff and Ilkley Topos!!!
October 11, 2008, 04:50:20 pm
Total-climbing.com now have PDF's live on their webpage for eliminate problems at Almscliff and Ilkley. These can be downloaded free of charge. You can also view a sample of the forthcoming Volume 2. The whole website should be fully functioning within a month. View it here:

http://total-climbing.com/holding/

Cheers,

Kevin Avery

dave

#1 Re: Free Almscliff and Ilkley Topos!!!
October 11, 2008, 05:05:26 pm
for eliminate problems at Almscliff

so everything at almscliff then. nice.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#2 Re: Free Almscliff and Ilkley Topos!!!
October 11, 2008, 07:53:22 pm
forthcoming Volume 2

Supposed to be out in Feb 2008 wasn't it?

uptown

• junky
#3 Re: Free Almscliff and Ilkley Topos!!!
October 11, 2008, 10:29:45 pm
Total-climbing.com now have PDF's live on their webpage for eliminate problems at Almscliff and Ilkley. You can also view a sample of the forthcoming Volume 2.

Looks good Kevin - I think it's about time the hot dog fromage misinformation gets cleared up though. There are two distinct problems where you mention just the one.
I'm still up for showing you folks round at Guisecliff btw, if any knowledge is needed prior to the next guide.
p.s. I know the folk on here can be :whistle: but you can post more than just publicity - Yorks needs an integrated bloddering community more than the Peak imho.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#4 Re: Free Almscliff and Ilkley Topos!!!
October 11, 2008, 10:34:55 pm
Andy, you speak the truth there.

Yorkshire has been badly neglected on the publicity front.  There's a lot more venues that Widdop/Caley/Almscliff/Ilkley.  People need to get out and explore.  There's loads of cool problems throughout Yorkshire that never get any attention.  It's all just a case of trying something new.

I won't go into a Peak vs Yorks debate, but let's get out and do something different!!

uptown

• junky
#5 Re: Free Almscliff and Ilkley Topos!!!
October 11, 2008, 11:05:04 pm
People need to get out and explore.  There's loads of cool problems throughout Yorkshire that never get any attention.  It's all just a case of trying something new.

I was shocked at the 'g' on thursday that a little sparkle and diamond crack are mossing over again, and as for Jesus jelly mould..........
Better info in the guides might be needed - if you go to some venues up here without a stiff bristle brush, you may as well just look and not touch. How about we get a sticky on here about some of the evergreen classics that have been cleaned/climbed recently - like the chuffing thread. Might make folk more willing to travel, explore and enjoy?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#6 Re: Free Almscliff and Ilkley Topos!!!
October 11, 2008, 11:09:00 pm
God Bless Yorkshire!

I right clicked and "save as"d those topo but they won't open.  What gives?
 :off:  Andy, I think Nik and I may be heading for a Whitestones hit sometime.  Will you be free for a tour?

uptown

• junky
#7 Re: Free Almscliff and Ilkley Topos!!!
October 11, 2008, 11:15:08 pm
God Bless Yorkshire!

Amen.....

I think Nik and I may be heading for a Whitestones hit sometime.  Will you be free for a tour?

Deffo, but you must both stop calling it whitestones - it's not just a clean Lancashire venue you know.
I want to challenge the slabmaster on Phoenix wall too whilst you're that way.....

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#8 Re: Free Almscliff and Ilkley Topos!!!
October 11, 2008, 11:21:52 pm
Nooooooooo!!!!

Never challenge the Master of Slabs, your soul shalt rot in Hell!!

So what shall we call yon venue?

Whitestone Cliffe?

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#9 Re: Free Almscliff and Ilkley Topos!!!
October 12, 2008, 09:06:44 am
Yorkshire has been badly neglected on the publicity front.  There's a lot more venues that Widdop/Caley/Almscliff/Ilkley.  People need to get out and explore. 

Never a truer word... Shit weather, continued failure and personal circumstances gave me a dearth of bouldering mojo last year.  What restored my love of rock and general wellbeing was forcing myself to get out to places I hadn't been before - Guisecliffe, Hunter's Stones, Snowden Crag, Swastika Stones, Rocky Valley, Roche Abbey, Spofforth, Brimham Hareheads etc.  Some of the them disappointed on a pure problem basis (easy access isn't the only reason Almscliff is so popular) but all of them gave a proper day out. 

There's something soul restoring about tramping across moorland and having a crag to yourself.  Training-wise I reckon it does you good to spend days mopping up lots of relatively low-grade problems too, at least if you have trad ambitions.  Bleak, deserted landscapes and bad landings certainly encourage a sure-footed, onsight mentality that battering yourself against too-hard projects for hours at a time doesn't anyway!

andy_e

• forum hero
#10 Re: Free Almscliff and Ilkley Topos!!!
October 12, 2008, 12:09:15 pm
Widdop/Caley/Almscliff/Ilkley.

What? I've never even heard of Widdop, Caley or Ilkley!

TomP

• obsessive maniac
    • www.tompeckittclimbing.com
#11 Re: Free Almscliff and Ilkley Topos!!!
October 13, 2008, 10:24:04 am
I've been making the mission to Simon's seat a lot recently and done a dozen or so new problems. Met Greg C there last weekend and he showed me a long wall with high quality unclimbed problems. We had a great afternoon doing these (topo now on yorkshiregrit.com). Greg did a few new problems there last week and I did 4 or 5 new ones yesterday. This is one of the best venues I have been to in the UK, truley stunning scenery and top-quality problems.

I spent the first couple of years in Yorkshire just visiting the well-known venues and there is obviously more than enough to keep the avid boulderer entertained. However, you realise when you branch away from these venues (caley, cliff etc) how much rock and quialty probelms there all over the county. Believe me I have tried to go climbing in other counties but with the sheer volume of rock here it's pretty bloody difficult. I know there are pretty much whole crags to be developed.....I'm not telling where though;-)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#12 Re: Free Almscliff and Ilkley Topos!!!
October 13, 2008, 10:47:39 am
Really pleased you guys are getting stuff done at Simon's Seat. Was up there a few years ago doing routes and was amazed at potential for bouldering, but couldn't muster up any enthusiasm from anyone else due to long walk and their love of the usual spots. Must try and get up there again sometime.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#13 Re: Free Almscliff and Ilkley Topos!!!
October 13, 2008, 10:58:28 am

Better info in the guides might be needed - if you go to some venues up here without a stiff bristle brush, you may as well just look and not touch. How about we get a sticky on here about some of the evergreen classics that have been cleaned/climbed recently - like the chuffing thread. Might make folk more willing to travel, explore and enjoy?
I'll stickify such a thread if anyone posts it up.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#14 Re: Free Almscliff and Ilkley Topos!!!
October 13, 2008, 11:02:39 am
I'm psyched to go to simons seat, looks well brown.

Too many crags, not enough time, not enough good weather, not enough skin. humph

andy_e

• forum hero
#15 Re: Free Almscliff and Ilkley Topos!!!
October 13, 2008, 11:45:06 pm
not enough ham to feed stray cats...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#16 Re: Free Almscliff and Ilkley Topos!!!
October 14, 2008, 07:58:47 am
The best stuff I've done up there was pretty highball - written up as routes in the YMC guide. Naked Edge must be in the top 10 grit aretes, its like a shorter, natural Edge Lane.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#17 Re: Free Almscliff and Ilkley Topos!!!
October 14, 2008, 09:42:30 am
It's on my winter list.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#18 Re: Free Almscliff and Ilkley Topos!!!
October 14, 2008, 09:50:18 am
The Scoop to the right of Naked Edge is a very superb 6c+ ish problem. There is also a very classy elephants trunk feature on a block behind this which is about 6a/+ from standing, the low start is unclimbed (as far as I know) and is one of the best looking project around.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#19 Re: Free Almscliff and Ilkley Topos!!!
October 14, 2008, 10:33:45 am
It's on my winter list.

The main crag gets pretty ming, so don't leave it too late, if you want to do routes too.

Can you cope with the walk in, or are you over the previous walkinophobia.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#20 Re: Free Almscliff and Ilkley Topos!!!
October 14, 2008, 10:54:25 am
I mean The Naked Edge is on my winter list (along with And She Was and I Bet She Does). I went to the main crag a couple of months ago, it was good, I managed the walk without bottled oxygen too (just). There were a LOT of millipedes there.

Sypeland

• stalker
    • http://www.climbersbalm.com
#21 Re: Free Almscliff and Ilkley Topos!!!
October 14, 2008, 11:23:22 am
God Bless Yorkshire!

Amen.....

I think Nik and I may be heading for a Whitestones hit sometime.  Will you be free for a tour?

Deffo, but you must both stop calling it whitestones - it's not just a clean Lancashire venue you know.
I want to challenge the slabmaster on Phoenix wall too whilst you're that way.....

Phoenix wall, happy memories I was trying that ten years ago until some jumped up lad from out of the dale came and snatched it from under my nose........well there is a bit of exaggerating there!

As for Guy's, I've found a rather nice boulder up there, steep and hard. Is your old ladder still up there as I could do with borrowing it to clean the top?

The sit start at Rowantree you mentioned on YG.com has been done by Chris Sowden earlier in the year, and he thinks he's done the problem you mentioned to the left as well. Chris is also wanting a tour of Guy's.

GCW - There's a climber living down near Trollers who's been doing some stuff up at LIttle Simons, sounds interesting. He's also done a traverse in Trollers across the lip of the wall on the right, essentially from route 23 to 28 in the Limestone guide. Looks very good.

Whitestones, that'll be above Glassstones and Smeltstones then ;)

TomP

• obsessive maniac
#22 Re: Free Almscliff and Ilkley Topos!!!
October 14, 2008, 11:47:55 am
What's the stuff at little Simon's Francis? Greg C and I did some stuff there last weekend. Nice little circuit of around 8 poblems upto about 7a/+.

Sypeland

• stalker
    • http://www.climbersbalm.com
#23 Re: Free Almscliff and Ilkley Topos!!!
October 14, 2008, 11:53:44 am

I don't know the specifics, but he comes in the shop now and again. I asked him if he'd been up there as I was thinking of going for a look. He told me he'd done a few things up there last year. Next time I see him I'll try to find out more.

TomP

• obsessive maniac
#24 Re: Free Almscliff and Ilkley Topos!!!
October 14, 2008, 11:58:50 am
I was surprised by the quality of the wall that's now on YG. Looks tiny from a distance but it's a rally good height and has great problems all over it.
Hows the balm sales going btw? I'll need to come and buy a pot soon as runnig low!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal