UKBouldering.com

Performance Enhancing Drugs in Climbing (Read 24641 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#26 Re: Performance Enhancing Drugs in Climbing
September 30, 2008, 10:25:34 pm
So assuming that a steroid or similar didnt have negative effects such as Paul first suggested what would you think of the results.
Im of two minds. In one sense the climber is not actually cheating anybody and steroid or no they still have to actually climb the thing which would involve a great deal of technique as well as pure physical strength but part of me feels that they havent fully earned the ascent. Certainly I think an unaided ascent would be far more noteworthy than an aided one but thats a bit of a no brainer.

:-\

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Anyone ever tried beta-blockers on a death route? I suspect they'd work a treat :)

I suspect weed is much better for such applications.  It is certainly wildly used, both by trad- and sport climbers. Judging from the wikipedia-article I gather that ß-blockers wreck havoc on your power-endurance.

The "climbing community" is also very forgiving about ascents clearly aided by THC.
I didn't see that in the wiki - blockers lower your heartrate so would be bad for anything super-physical but ideal for a gnarly grit slab.

Personally I think thc would be crap for any psychological boost in a risky situation. If it were me and I was stoned I wouldn't do anything life-threatening, but I guess for some it might work. 

n_man

• obsessive maniac
Its maybe naive to think Anabolics wouldn't work well within climbing as they work for nearly every other sport out there. What we need is a human test case, Dianabol anybody?

While steroids make your muscles stronger don't they increase the likelihood of ligament or tendon injuries as they can't cope with the extra strain.

a dense loner

• forum hero
no

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
I can recommend the following:

1 Sudafed, + 2 double espresso + 1 berroca + 2 2mg nicotine chewing gum, ideally on a ful stomach as on an empty stomach you'll feel a bit weird otherwise.

Probably worth buffering with 60mg dihydrocoedine if you're unsure.

saltbeef

• forum hero

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Anabolic steroids will increase muscle bulk/power.  Contrary to Dense, there is good evidence that they also increase tendon rupture rates.  Dense:  check biceps tendon rupture with steroids in PubMed.  And don't forget that steroids tend to increase bulk more.  Thus power:weight is altered.

In my opinion, people can climb what they like as long as they are a steroid popping hypertrophy monkey.  Fuck 'em, they'll die early anyway.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
I can recommend the following:

1 Sudafed, + 2 double espresso + 1 berroca + 2 2mg nicotine chewing gum, ideally on a ful stomach as on an empty stomach you'll feel a bit weird otherwise.

I suggest doubling up on the Sudafed and adding a couple of asprin to that mix.

This will get you banned from most sports if tested.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Hmmm? Sudafed, Aspirin, Pro Plus......The 2002 World Cup and the pub opening at 07.00....it's all coming back to me.........  :pissed:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Heroin.

Give it a whirl; you might like it  ;D

RedFox

I'm all for a selectively bred, drugged-up super olympics.  Could do the same with some climbers too.  That would be interesting to watch! 

Kingy

• forum hero
Tramadol and Diplofenac on an empty stomach followed by several tins of lager, 2 cocktails, 3 pints in the pub and then a kebab on the way home. Result = a rather sore head  :boohoo:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
Heroin.

Which particular aspect of ones climbing performance will this enhance?
Obviously it will help with the ability to sit in front of some long, tedious and ultimately pointless debate about grades or ascent styles.
I suppose it could help on those boulder problems where the hardest moves involve slumping forward in ultra slow motion while letting your eyeballs slowly roll back. Pretty limited scope really.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Might help with "visualisation"  ::)

Paul B

• forum hero
Tramadol and Diplofenac on an empty stomach followed by several tins of lager, 2 cocktails, 3 pints in the pub and then a kebab on the way home. Result = a rather sore head  :boohoo:

Having sampled a wide range of pain relief medication over the last year or so I can whole heartedly recommend pethadine (sp?), Morphine = good but f*ck me you scratch yourself to bits, Diplofenac = Not good, sick, Tramadol = sick as a dog and I can't remember the name of the other one that made by piss look like Lucozade. I've got a huge box of left overs as I pretty much decided after each accident that it was better to be in pain that to suffer the side effects of my various prescriptions. Paracetemol all the way!

dave

Heroin.

Which particular aspect of ones climbing performance will this enhance?
Obviously it will help with the ability to sit in front of some long, tedious and ultimately pointless debate about grades or ascent styles.
I suppose it could help on those boulder problems where the hardest moves involve slumping forward in ultra slow motion while letting your eyeballs slowly roll back. Pretty limited scope really.

people do tend to find heroin quite moreish though.

Kingy

• forum hero
Having sampled a wide range of pain relief medication over the last year or so I can whole heartedly recommend pethadine (sp?), Morphine = good but f*ck me you scratch yourself to bits, Diplofenac = Not good, sick, Tramadol = sick as a dog and I can't remember the name of the other one that made by piss look like Lucozade. I've got a huge box of left overs as I pretty much decided after each accident that it was better to be in pain that to suffer the side effects of my various prescriptions. Paracetemol all the way!

Yes I'll take your advice there Paul, pethadine sounds like good shit! Diplofenac was prescribed to me for lower back problems, been popping 2 of those each day for the last month  ;D. Tramadol is serious shit, one step below morphine I've been told. It completely dulled my pain from a trapped nerve I've had in my leg - useful for flying anywhere. But as the pain eased I've gradually stopped popping those. I agree its sometimes better to take the pain rather than get dosed up to the eyeballs. I've got a large cache of tramadol I shall hoard for future emergencies. Thankfully all this bollocks appears to be coming to an end as the problem is resolving itself. The tor had better be ready for my return!!

webbo

• forum hero
heroin is often used in combo with things like speed and is used in sports were you need a large degree of pain tolerance with sporting performance.theres a  concoction in cycling called a pot belge which has the above 2 plus a load of other shit.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
heroin is often used in combo with things like speed and is used in sports were you need a large degree of pain tolerance with sporting performance.

Like watching Tottenham ?

a dense loner

• forum hero
no

yes
Anabolic steroids will increase muscle bulk/power.  Contrary to Dense, there is good evidence that they also increase tendon rupture rates.  Dense:  check biceps tendon rupture with steroids in PubMed.  And don't forget that steroids tend to increase bulk more.  Thus power:weight is altered.

In my opinion, people can climb what they like as long as they are a steroid popping hypertrophy monkey.  Fuck 'em, they'll die early anyway.

no, no, no.
i know that steroids increase bulk and make tendon and ligaments weaker. however for the purposes of the question relating to climbers then certainly not. anyone who thinks it does comes from the same moronic school of thought as the people that say i don't want to do too many weights cos i don't want to get too big. reality check, you're not going to get too big, nor are your fingers going to get weak in relation to your puny little frame.
your fingers will get weak in relation to you trying to deadlift 600 pound not in relation to you hanging on a 2 finger pocket while weighing 150 pound
people that pop steroids do not die any younger

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
Do steroids make you incomprehensible?

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
Do women who pop steroids die men?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
I can't see how asteroids is supposed to help with climbing  :shrug:

webbo

• forum hero
Do steroids make you incomprehensible?

don't know but they make your balls shrink.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal