UKBouldering.com

Brad Pit and Joker question (Read 61538 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#200 Re: Brad Pit and Joker question
October 20, 2008, 08:42:19 pm
Dense will become your bum-friend if you like  :thumbsup:

account_inactive

• forum hero
#201 Re: Brad Pit and Joker question
October 20, 2008, 08:42:52 pm
FFS Can we stop naming Paul in all this, poor guy.  For a start he was a beast for a while climbing under the eyes of many of Sheffield's finest.  He also had a witness and photos for his ascent.

I think Dense was trying to point out that Scott has not emerged in the same way. Few people are vouching for his strength who are beasts themselves.  Again this is not to say that he hasn't climbed what he says that he has.  Maybe I'm wrong Dense or are you psyched for this game of semantics?

Not being known in the scene as a beast and being spotted by a random Spaniard just add more flames to the fire.

I for one really hope that he is the real deal.  Well done Scotty ya beast

nik at work

• forum hero
#202 Re: Brad Pit and Joker question
October 20, 2008, 08:57:49 pm
The point is Scott hasn't emerged in the same way FROM YOUR PERSPECTIVE.

And nobody is suggesting Paul is anything but a beast, he merely provides a handy comparitor being somebody who from the perspectives of some people here came out of nowhere crushing 8b. Similar non? I've apologised in my posts for singling out Paul and I would hope (and am sure) that he can see the point that is being made, and that is not in any way an attack on his abilities. Paul if you do feel that I am in any way out of order please let me know (either here or by PM) and I will happily edit my posts accordingly.
It is slightly strange Dylan that you leap to the defense of Paul against who no negative views have been expressed, and yet you're happy to continue with the vague doubt suggesting "nobody on my scene knows Scott, hmmmm.." type statements.

Just for the reocrd Paul is a beast.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#203 Re: Brad Pit and Joker question
October 20, 2008, 09:10:47 pm
Not just from my perspective but a bunch of people operating at a high level operating in the same area (the Peak).  I'm coming to Pauls defence as he is a friend and it's unfair to single him out when the 2 events are not comparable.

I'd like to repeat that I'm not doubting Scott

nik at work

• forum hero
#204 Re: Brad Pit and Joker question
October 20, 2008, 09:24:11 pm
Paul doesn't need defending, nobody has attacked him.

The two events are comparable. When Paul did Voyager I didn't know of him. Exactly the same as Scott now. Fiend was in the same position as me. Don't make me write perspective in capitals again :).

I'm sure lots of people on this thread are not directly doubting Scotts ascents, but I think that sentiment is lost in the suggestive "he's not that strong etc" type comments. You can't write stuff like without creating an impression that you have a hint of doubt.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#205 Re: Brad Pit and Joker question
October 20, 2008, 11:21:00 pm
OK I shouldn't have used the word 'defend'.  I just thought it inappropriate using him as a comparison. 

Without the perspective of a strong climbing scene people will need to validate their ascents in this day and age. It's irrelevant if you or Fiend knew of him when a whole scene missed this beast!

Maybe I missed the sub-text of 'he's not that strong'.  I think people want to know if this is a false Messiah before the rest of us punters start putting his poster next to our beds............

This could easily solved by someone going back to Stanage with Scott and getting a video doing or getting pretty close to repeating it.  It only took him half a session so a repeat (or near repeat) shouldn't prove a problem.  Now this is up to Scott, but it will shut up all the naysayers

Danger

• player
#206 Re: Brad Pit and Joker question
October 20, 2008, 11:44:01 pm
This could easily solved by someone going back to Stanage with Scott and getting a video doing or getting pretty close to repeating it.  It only took him half a session so a repeat (or near repeat) shouldn't prove a problem.  Now this is up to Scott, but it will shut up all the naysayers

And he has to do it in a t-shirt that reads 'Fuck you, you doubting bastards!'

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#207 Re: Brad Pit and Joker question
October 21, 2008, 12:09:59 am
Two ludicrous statements;

In my view no one has posited anything that would give grounds to doubt the claim, it's a bit like saying Usaine Bolt is on drugs because of his rapid improvement in the 100m.

if some one were to do an 8b in a session I'd say that the Ace was a prime candidate.  

Bolt's 200 m win made him the youngest world-junior gold medallist ever.

And 'prime candidate'? After all its not like gritstone is conditions dependent, it hasn't got a dodgy landing or a weird double hand slap as the last move.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#208 Re: Brad Pit and Joker question
October 21, 2008, 01:01:05 am
I've tried to digest as much of this thread as possible (bearing in mind I had to start from the start). I've basically just picked out the fact a young man has pulled hard in some compromising positions on some poor holds with a resultant top-out. Excellent!

Well done that young man on a prized ascent. I'm sure you'll look back very fondly in time at that crisp morning cycling down to the plantation with not the slightest of expectations. Just psyche. I'd imagine that makes the ascent all the more special to you.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#209 Re: Brad Pit and Joker question
October 21, 2008, 01:01:56 am
I've tried to digest as much of this thread as possible (bearing in mind I had to start from the start). I've basically just picked out the fact a young man has pulled hard in some compromising positions on some poor holds on a notable hard problem with a resultant top-out. Excellent!

Well done that young man on a prized ascent. I'm sure you'll look back very fondly in time at that crisp morning cycling down to the plantation with not the slightest of expectations. Just psyche. I'd imagine that makes the ascent all the more special to you.

I have no idea why this quoted thing has come up. I was thrown a strange server message so please feel free to delete it.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#210 Re: Brad Pit and Joker question
October 21, 2008, 07:07:45 am
I think its fair to say the main reason for asking for some proof is because there are quite a few people on this board who (generally) have their fingers on the pulse of who's who and who's crushing what hard blocs in and around the peak.
Then some young guy no-one really knows slips under the radar and crushes some of the hardest grit test pieces very quickly. Of course questions will be asked cos no one on the scene has heard of him and these are world class achievments.
Its not meant to upset people, people like danger need to get a grip, it is a world class achievment, people expect validation, if this level of beastlyness continues it will be in the bouldering history books.
You expect they put stuff in the guinness book of records with no proof?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#211 Re: Brad Pit and Joker question
October 21, 2008, 08:35:41 am
New topic.

Cos this sort of proof etc issue has come up before and people are obviously pretty passionate about it, maybe it would be better to get it debated in a non-personal way so that people can put forward their views on the necessity of proof and can understand each others point of view (by "understand" I mean argue against it until you're blue in the face etc etc).
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 08:46:44 am by Fiend, Reason: tinkering »

nik at work

• forum hero
#212 Re: Brad Pit and Joker question
October 21, 2008, 09:12:50 am
I think in summary we all agree on a few points:

1) This is an awesome effort and we're all super impressed

2) We'd all love to see some photo's etc of this momentous event

3) Nobody is immediately discounting the ascents

The debate appears to be coming from the small details of how questions are asked, which is so minor a part of this whole event as to be ignored. To that end it's a shame that the thread has got bogged down in such tedious debate. I apologise for my involvement in this side-tracking, I can only say that my actions were motivated by good intention. The internet has positives and negatives as a debate forum, and I think this thread highlights both sides of this coin. Dylan I'm not going to provide a direct response to your post, not because I don't deem it worthy, but because it's time to stop.

Fj

• menacing presence
#213 Re: Brad Pit and Joker question
October 21, 2008, 09:26:55 am
Agreed, this has got to stop!
I might be wrong but I think I'm the one Drew was referring to as knowing Scotty. I am not a beast, he is. I do know other beasts and even one who recently ticked the Ace, so despite the fact people wont know me, I do have some comprehension of how an 8b climber pulls.
Scott isn't in it for the publicity. Admittedly hes gone about being a darkhorse the wrong way, but the photos are unlikely to come out now as he wont be pampering to your desires.
After talking to the man himself last night, he is now utterly pissed off and has lost all the kid-in-a-sweetshop, 4am, bike riding psych.
Can we call this thread a day. Before Scott hangs up his boots?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#214 Re: Brad Pit and Joker question
October 21, 2008, 10:11:18 am
Scott,

You're not in it for the publicity, so don't let this pedantry kill your SYKE.

Perhaps consider making your profile on 8a.nu private as carlisle slapper suggested

if you can't be arsed with doing this then i'd sack your scorecard off and join the boulderers out there just doing it for the hell of it. but whilst you have both you are effectively  entering a card game without showing your hand (no puns). i'm sure your just keen to show off your new found beastly power to mates and didn't think it'd spiral out of control, unfortunately you climb in the peak and everytime anyone does anything the queen and all her corgis must be informed else you will be scalded.

Keep on crushin .

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#215 Re: Brad Pit and Joker question
October 21, 2008, 10:25:24 am
Scott isn't in it for the publicity. Admittedly hes gone about being a darkhorse the wrong way, but the photos are unlikely to come out now as he wont be pampering to your desires.

I have no grounds to doubt Scott, and have posted above in opposition to the doubters.

But this nonsense has been rolled out before, and needs comment.

Normally, news of this magnitude is backed up at the moment of release by photos and witnesses (the photographer if no one else). They don't need to say 'I witnessed this' because its implicit in the released media. If there had been just one photo early in this thread none of this rubbish would have resulted. Suggesting they exist but won't be shown due to some bizarre dog-in-the-manger anti-logic is downright daft.

mark s

• junky
#216 Re: Brad Pit and Joker question
October 21, 2008, 11:16:27 am
he's obviously very strong and very keen.
there's no need to require proof of his ascents.time will do that.he lives in sheff,he'll be seen out on the rock.
well done to him (secretly pissed off cuz i'm never going do things like that  :) )

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#217 Re: Brad Pit and Joker question
October 21, 2008, 12:31:11 pm
If there had been just one photo early in this thread none of this rubbish would have resulted. Suggesting they exist but won't be shown due to some bizarre dog-in-the-manger anti-logic is downright daft.

We've heard that somewhere before :lol: although I'm not suggestin Si O and Scott are similar.

Tommy G

• regular
#218 Re: Brad Pit and Joker question
October 21, 2008, 01:09:09 pm
OK guys! this really isn't cool  :P

I did do the ace in a 3 hour session, I have pictures, but no videos. I'm just not sure what to do with them yet?!? I'm not really down with the whole promoting myself thing. I haven't been climbing 2 years, I have been climbing 3 years next month. My recent ticks are massive achievements for me and I have never felt so good about myself or my climbing. I didn't think there would be so much bad karma knocking about.

but anyways thanks for the positive comments  :thumbsup:

Nice one bruv!

Nigel

• forum hero
#219 Re: Brad Pit and Joker question
October 21, 2008, 01:24:27 pm
Isn't this the same Sasscotty who over the past few years has asked numerous questions on the Training forum of UKB, and in turn had them artfully answered by the great and good of these boards? Why is it so hard to believe that someone who took all these nuggets of wisdom and actually applied them instead of going down the Sheaf every Thursday is now taken the world by storm? I would expect nothing less. We should be proud of ourselves!

Well done my child.

(I demand a share in the 8b glory for any useful reply I may ever have given  ;))

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#220 Re: Brad Pit and Joker question
October 21, 2008, 02:19:01 pm
Scott isn't in it for the publicity.
so why this?

but the photos are unlikely to come out now as he wont be pampering to your desires.
Wow, how to instantly get labelled a lier. That line has been heard too many times before.

Can we call this thread a day. Before Scott hangs up his boots?
If he's not in it for the publicity then why would he "hang up his boots" because his claims aren't believed? If he's bothered by the (hardly surprising) cynicism around these ascents then all he needs to do is repeat them with a video camera present and instantly every doubter would eat humble pie and proclaim him for the wad that he obviously would be. If he's not bothered then why would he give a fuck about what's discussed on t'interweb?

Oli

• obsessive maniac
#221 Re: Brad Pit and Joker question
October 21, 2008, 02:29:00 pm

so why this?

Isn't that just UKC trawling t'net for news rather than sending a report in?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#222 Re: Brad Pit and Joker question
October 21, 2008, 02:31:08 pm

Might be - where was the Ace ascent first published? I know ukc never publish stuff after a news post on here (Mick would rather poke himself in the eye) so it can't be anything to do with us.

Oli

• obsessive maniac
#223 Re: Brad Pit and Joker question
October 21, 2008, 02:33:01 pm
Here or 8a.nu I think.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#224 Re: Brad Pit and Joker question
October 21, 2008, 02:35:57 pm

Can't see ukclimbing posting up a news item based on an 8a.nu scorecard - they've even got interviews with his team coach. Somebody was spraying no doubt. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal