UKBouldering.com

Router Trouble... Maybe? (Read 12652 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
#25 Re: Router Trouble... Maybe?
September 18, 2008, 09:28:54 am
well it may not be necessary in the end, since the firmware update it seems to be behaving itself but that wasn't that long ago.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#26 Re: Router Trouble... Maybe?
September 18, 2008, 09:40:01 am
You could run a book on how long it lasts today  :lol:

Paul B

• forum hero
#27 Re: Router Trouble... Maybe?
September 18, 2008, 05:12:31 pm
Care to take a guess?

Not long really! So before disconnecting it i've ordered the one I linked to.

On another note i'm now pretty unhappy, I took the router back to N2C who WOULDN'T give me a refund then and there, he said that he'd have to test it first and he didn't have ADSL there so it would have to be done at home. Again hints were made to it being a problem with my setup and he seemed uninterested by the fact that it's an intermittent problem saying he'd test it for 2-3 hours and see if he has any issues, if so refund, if not then no. This stinks to me

philo

• forum hero
#28 Re: Router Trouble... Maybe?
September 18, 2008, 05:20:18 pm
Care to take a guess?

On another note i'm now pretty unhappy, I took the router back to N2C who WOULDN'T give me a refund then and there, he said that he'd have to test it first and he didn't have ADSL there so it would have to be done at home. Again hints were made to it being a problem with my setup and he seemed uninterested by the fact that it's an intermittent problem saying he'd test it for 2-3 hours and see if he has any issues, if so refund, if not then no. This stinks to me

yeah exactly that sounds pretty poor really,
what a joke. its like trying to ring virgin media and telling them their connection is shocking/broke and spending an hour telling them that turning it on and off wont solve it and its not a problem with your "set up" as you have had every aspect in pieces on the floor as a last attempt after every other technical problem checked.

sods law is that it will work fine and not disconnect once, he will also prob try it with his laptop 1m away from said device

Paul B

• forum hero
#29 Re: Router Trouble... Maybe?
September 18, 2008, 05:23:56 pm
Not to mention its got some other major issues out of the box, things like the attached devices list does not work so I wouldn't count on any logging being accurate either. The thing is because of this I'm unlikely to buy from them again. If (and it is still and if) he won't refund then i'm calling C.A.B. to see what to do i'm fed up of shoddy service this week.

Paul B

• forum hero
#30 Re: Router Trouble... Maybe?
September 18, 2008, 06:03:27 pm
OK - just taken a phone call. "I've connected my E pc to it for the last three hours without a problem, it's fine I can't refund", I asked how far away he was, the answer was 1m, he says that he'll continue to test the item if i wish and will move the E pc down to the basement to see if it has any issues. I said to carry on.
This just doesn't seem right, I say there's an issue with it, take it to him and he says "No there's not" tough shit effectively?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#31 Re: Router Trouble... Maybe?
September 18, 2008, 11:25:28 pm
Care to take a guess?

OK - just taken a phone call. "I've connected my E pc to it for the last three hours without a problem, it's fine I can't refund", I asked how far away he was, the answer was 1m, he says that he'll continue to test the item if i wish and will move the E pc down to the basement to see if it has any issues. I said to carry on.
This just doesn't seem right, I say there's an issue with it, take it to him and he says "No there's not" tough shit effectively?

Thats bollocks, trading standards and shit entitle you to a refund within a certain period of time after purchase (cooling off period or some other legal term).  Don't know the details/law of the top of my head, and don't have the time to track them down now, but you bought it less than a week ago, so I suspect your entitled to a full refund.

As an aside, I think there's a guy who works there who goes by the name of 'Mozaz' (although he's schizophrenic) who is complete and utter twat (based on meeting him on the door to a free party next to Devonshire Green and his spoutings/drivel on various flickr groups).  Rotund, perhaps mid-50s, sporting beard/goatee.  Maybe I just met him on off days  :shrug:

Paul B

• forum hero
#32 Re: Router Trouble... Maybe?
September 18, 2008, 11:31:17 pm
I bought it last wed, so its just over a week. I really don't know what to do about it, i'm quite busy atm being in the middle of my transfer period so I can't spend too long cocking about but it just stinks. CAB open Mon-Thur 10-3 Arghhh!!!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#33 Re: Router Trouble... Maybe?
September 18, 2008, 11:49:06 pm
CAB are about as useful as a tit-wank in a convent, i.e. you can never get one!

Quick google lead to this.

I'd say that given you contacted them in <7 days to say you were having problems that qualifies as 1) A full refund as you made them aware of the problem early on (albeit not in writing, but in email, so it is documented).

Paul B

• forum hero
#34 Re: Router Trouble... Maybe?
September 18, 2008, 11:53:42 pm
It's whether or not I can:

In general, the onus is on all purchasers to prove the goods did not conform to contract (e.g. was inherently faulty) and should have reasonably lasted until this point in time

Sales of goods 1994

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#35 Re: Router Trouble... Maybe?
September 19, 2008, 12:00:45 am
 :(

Still, theres always  flea bay  :)

Paul B

• forum hero
#36 Re: Router Trouble... Maybe?
September 19, 2008, 12:02:04 am
I've just never come across a situation where someone hasn't just accepted it and given a replacement/refund he says he can't do that as if its not faulty and they return it to Netgear then they have to pay a 25% re-stocking fee (WTF - 52 quid out of pocket here!).

Paul B

• forum hero
#37 Re: Router Trouble... Maybe?
September 22, 2008, 03:00:09 pm
I really feel like a wireless dunce over this past week. I've got my DGN 2000 all set up and working fine with two wired connections, the desktop and the xbox 360 but my rubbish laptop which is currently running ubuntu seems to have a bit of a problem. Basically the wireless network shows up as an 'ad hoc' network in network manager and using IWLIST SCAN. It's set up for WPA2 with the SSID broadcasting, i've tried flicking around with the frequencies etc but to no avail, I couldn't say for any certainty whether this is a laptop issue or a router issue. Anyone care to wade in? (ps - im not this technophobic usually honest!

Paul B

• forum hero
#38 Re: Router Trouble... Maybe?
September 26, 2008, 03:44:20 pm
I know if been wittering mainly to myself on this thread however I thought I should add that I now have a perfectly stable WLAN in the flat without any netgear products involved whatsoever.

Ebuyer are selling plexus wireless access point for 15 quid (I bought one originally to use with the xbox), I now have one of these plugged into an old BT ADSL modem/router and it works a treat, and restores my faith in my technical abilities.

The other plus is that Netgear are replacing the out of warranty original router which should be here any day now. Whether or not I have any trouble returning the DGN2000 to ebuyer is another thing entirely.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#39 Re: Router Trouble... Maybe?
September 26, 2008, 06:41:29 pm
 :thumbsup: at least you've got to a relatively stable set-up.

Ebuyer should on past experience be honorable in refunding shit, but cross your fingers just in case.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal