UKBouldering.com

even better than a grade debate. (Read 6038 times)

dave

even better than a grade debate.
September 19, 2008, 10:26:21 am
To put all the discussions about whether Three Pebble Slab is E1 or HVS, or if The Terrace is 7c+- or mearly 7d, into perspective, check this out:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/7623904.stm

Apparently climbers are not alone in the obsession to assign arbitrary demarcation to things.

(What they've failed to spot is since mountains are measured against mean sea level it means that presumably as greenland melts away and the sea rises we'll then see this hill downgraded again just as quickly.....)

Plattsy

• forum hero
#1 Re: even better than a grade debate.
September 19, 2008, 10:40:40 am
Foinavon in Scotland was re-measured last year. Originally being measured at 2,999ft using aerial photography in 1950's it fell 1ft short of the Munro grade. Turns out it's 2,989ft high. Well short of the grade Munro. Solid grade Corbett though.

Banana finger

• addict
  • daft lad
#2 Re: even better than a grade debate.
September 19, 2008, 10:41:39 am
Well apparently the sea level won't rise......according to the following science
(key r= density of water, v1=volume of ice under water,
v2= volume of water when ice melting down)
buoyancy force=rgv1
the ice cap is floating
so buoyancy force=mg
so   rgv1=mg, m=rv
       rv1=rv2
     v1=v2
so the volume of ice underneath the water is same as the total volume of water when ice cap melting down.....like an ice cube melting in a drink doesnt cause the level to rise. I think the grade may stand, i mean its no sand bag like nevis but its a good soft touch if you want to tick your first mountain. Penny ghent's my biggest tick, i seem to be having trouble breaking into the mountain grade. Maybe Mynydd Graig Goch will be a good first mountain to do  ;)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#3 Re: even better than a grade debate.
September 19, 2008, 10:46:27 am
from the article

"It's fantastic... nothing like this had happened before

Myrddyn Phillips"

this made me think to the man with the saddest, emptiest life on earth. maybe he collects dust.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: even better than a grade debate.
September 19, 2008, 10:51:12 am
from the article

"It's fantastic... nothing like this had happened before

Myrddyn Phillips"

It has been done before (albeit fictional), they made a film out of it The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain.  I wouldn't bother going out of your way to watch it though a) it stars Hugh Grant; b) its not that good.

EDIT : I should have read the article first, since it mentions the film.  Still I wouldn't bother wasting your time watching the film.

dave

#5 Re: even better than a grade debate.
September 19, 2008, 10:53:57 am
Well apparently the sea level won't rise......according to the following science
buoyancy force=rgv1
the ice cap is floating
so buoyancy force=mg
so   rgv1=mg, m=rv
       rv1=rv2
     v1=v2
so the volume of ice underneath the water is same as the total volume of water when ice cap melting down.....like an ice cube melting in a drink doesnt cause the level to rise.

but most of the greenland icecaps (ditto those in the antarctic) are on land.....so those people living the the vast flat wasteland east of donny can't relax just yet.

dust, anybody, no? dust, anybody, no?

Plattsy

• forum hero
#6 Re: even better than a grade debate.
September 19, 2008, 10:58:47 am
Penny ghent's my biggest tick

For a more sick tick traversing into Whernside from Pen-Y-Ghent and then finishing up Inglebrough is a classic endurance test piece. Requires super syke and immense radness.

Banana finger

• addict
  • daft lad
#7 Re: even better than a grade debate.
September 19, 2008, 11:00:15 am
buoyancy force=rgv1
the ice cap is floating
so buoyancy force=mg
so   rgv1=mg, m=rv
       rv1=rv2
     v1=v2
so the volume of ice underneath the water is same as the total volume of water when ice cap melting down.....like an ice cube melting in a drink doesnt cause the level to rise.

but most of the greenland icecaps (ditto those in the antarctic) are on land.....so those people living the the vast flat wasteland east of donny can't relax just yet.

dust, anybody, no? dust, anybody, no?

Oh yeah i suppose. :-[...don't think i ll go for it incase it gets downgraded to a mere hill then. I ll put my ronhills away

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#8 Re: even better than a grade debate.
September 19, 2008, 11:03:53 am
You'd be hard pushed to beat this guy for a debate on classification....

Banana finger

• addict
  • daft lad
#9 Re: even better than a grade debate.
September 19, 2008, 11:04:37 am
Penny ghent's my biggest tick

For a more sick tick traversing into Whernside from Pen-Y-Ghent and then finishing up Inglebrough is a classic endurance test piece. Requires super syke and immense radness.

Sick dude, thats some enduro waddage. Don't think i'd be able to afford nearly the amount of kendle mint cake to get me up that test piece!

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#10 Re: even better than a grade debate.
September 19, 2008, 11:09:05 am
On reading, I have to say my first thought echoed Nibile's, poor dust collecting man  :yawn:

Also, I now know what that film was about, but still won't be watching it.

Bless the merry ramblers and their mountian climbing.  It rained on them while they were measuring and everything  :(

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#11 Re: even better than a grade debate.
September 19, 2008, 11:17:02 am
Yeah my first thought was "what a bunch of cunts" but then I realised that I spend weeks at a time thinking about, talking about, writing about and actually climbing up insignificant bits of rock and think it's cool. Actually, what am I on about? It is cool and they are cunts.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#12 Re: even better than a grade debate.
September 19, 2008, 11:18:07 am
It rained on them while they were measuring and everything  :(

Character building.

There's gotta be some further grades involved. I propose.

Name - Grade
Mynydd Graig Goch - Mountain-
Mont Blanc - Mountain
Everest - Mountain+

Sorted.

andy_e

• forum hero
#13 Re: even better than a grade debate.
September 19, 2008, 11:23:38 am
Hard Very Mountain?

JohnM

• junky
#14 Re: even better than a grade debate.
September 19, 2008, 11:26:36 am
Some of the melt water may well be stored in areas of the ocean that was once occupied by warmer less dense water which has a larger volume per unit mass, causing no overall increase in sea level.  However the height of the mountain may still rise in relation to the sea level due to isostatic rebound of the Earth's crust after the removal of the ice sheet.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#15 Re: even better than a grade debate.
September 19, 2008, 11:34:48 am
I thought this was going to be about The Great Walkie Talkie Debate over on cocktalktm

Now that is better than a grade debate

dave

#16 Re: even better than a grade debate.
September 19, 2008, 11:41:15 am
Some of the melt water may well be stored in areas of the ocean that was once occupied by warmer less dense water which has a larger volume per unit mass, causing no overall increase in sea level.  However the height of the mountain may still rise in relation to the sea level due to isostatic rebound of the Earth's crust after the removal of the ice sheet.

Luckily should any of the most classic benchmark mountains get smaller we know that all the people currently seiging them will reconstruct the top of the peak with sika to maintain the height.

Slide

• addict
#17 Re: even better than a grade debate.
September 19, 2008, 12:22:56 pm
Has there been a UKC merger/takeover since i went to make a cup of tea?!?!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal