UKBouldering.com

Raven Tor this Friday (Read 3186 times)

alaan

• regular
Raven Tor this Friday
September 09, 2008, 11:52:47 am
Hello,

If the Tor isn't soaking by now (conditions anyone?), I'd be looking to get there this Friday, if anyone is interested? Coming from Sheffield but don't drive - let me know if your keen! Current fixation is Body Machine after being on it this Sunday - soooo good.

Cheers,
Al

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#1 Re: Raven Tor this Friday
September 09, 2008, 12:04:59 pm
What do folk do on the start now? Climb from the deck or jug up to the old start point?

Oli

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Raven Tor this Friday
September 09, 2008, 01:05:49 pm
Al, I meant to tell you that the plan for France has now been scrapped so I may be around. Potentially going to Pembroke, but the weather'll probably be gash so I'll be around here and up for the tor. If not I know someone who's keen to get down there. I'll text you.

Bonjoy; We frigged up the bolts on the wet bit and then made a bit of a traverse, although I'm not sure if we started to high and left.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#3 Re: Raven Tor this Friday
September 09, 2008, 01:21:38 pm
The old tree start pulled on just below the overlap at some wet sidepulls.

alaan

• regular
#4 Re: Raven Tor this Friday
September 09, 2008, 01:29:09 pm
Alright, cheers Oli - why not Ceuse!?

For Body Machine we just pulled between bolts (bit of a faff since we/I broke the stick clip) and started on the big undercut of Indecent, I think just above where it's usually started but everything below was sopping. The more logical start would seem to be the direct start at about the same height of the orginal tree-start (and seemed to be drying quickly), if not the direct start itself of course (if that'll ever dry now). Double keen to get back.

Al

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#5 Re: Raven Tor this Friday
September 09, 2008, 03:04:51 pm
Glad you guys got on summat, I was just so despondant with the state of indecent (which I fully intended to RP on Sunday) that I went and sulked at the works..... Sounds like I should have stuck it out. If you're looking for someone to get on BM with give me a shout as I'm keen (just not this Friday or Weekend unfortunately) got a car and psyche.

Bonjoy - Stone et al have been aiding up revelations to avoid the slime (he's trying some link or other I think). This misses out the hardish move on the traverse so would be interested as to what the grade settles down for this as (it's a bit contrived too but so's the whole process now the trees gone :()... Clipsticking the newish bolt on indecent gets you to pretty much the same place as from where you stepped off the tree but that whole section until the twin undercuts looked soggy as hell on Sunday.

:D

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#6 Re: Raven Tor this Friday
September 09, 2008, 03:10:12 pm
The big undercuts on Indecent is a few moves higher than the standard tree start, but obviously people started higher when the bottom was seeping.
Stone has been using the Rev start for BM since well before the tree went. It's still a lot harder than the normal start to BM. I'd say top of tree to top of Rev was about french 7a+, whilst Revelations with an aid start is still hard 7c if not 7c+!

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#7 Re: Raven Tor this Friday
September 09, 2008, 03:22:39 pm
Interesting...... Don't think I'll be trying it that way then (seeing as I still can't quite string together the traverse and rockover as it is :-[)

alaan

• regular
#8 Re: Raven Tor this Friday
September 09, 2008, 03:45:21 pm
Hi Duncan,

I'd be pretty keen for Sunday too, if I'm not totally broken by then. You can grab my number off Oli or I'll PM it to you, if you like? Might have a look at the start from Revelations...maybe. Does the rest of BM seep much? I'm guessing perhaps some of the high pockets would suffer?

Al

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#9 Re: Raven Tor this Friday
September 09, 2008, 04:29:43 pm
Unfortunately this weekend is totally off for me as I'm at a mates wedding :pissed:

Next Saturday I'll be heading down for sure as I've got an appointment with Indecent so can definitely get on BM too... PM me yer number.

Not sure bout the seepage on the top - anyone?

Cheers,

Kingy

• forum hero
#10 Re: Raven Tor this Friday
September 09, 2008, 04:36:34 pm
Not sure bout the seepage on the top - anyone?

I have not been down myself for a while so can't give you first hand knowledge. I would put good money on it being dry up there still, its normally the last bit of crag to turn into a waterfall.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal